Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: largest camper that will fit in a 2500HD with a 6foot box

Posted By: MudChucker on 08/26/10 07:11pm

Hi Folks... been a while since I posted, our travel trailer was written off last summer in a freak hail storm while out on the open prairie with no place to hide...

so now a year later I want to buy a truck camper - seems there are lots out there, but I dont know what I can safely haul with a 6 foot box.

the truck is a 2007 GMC Sierra Ext Cab 2500HD 6.0 gassoline with the tow package.

Im looking at a 9 and a half footer that was designed for an 8 foot box with a foot and a half over hang...

would the weight be properly distributed over the axel (does that matter so much ?) ?
and 3.5 feet (2 feet of which is on the tailgate) hanging out the back be a problem ?

the actual weight of the camper is not a problem for the truck.

Cheers folks.

2005 PILGRIM 274RL 5SS
2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 6.0

Posted By: woodrow on 08/26/10 07:31pm

U will b fine IMHO... This thread could get out of hand so be selective as to who u listen to.....stating weight is not a factor should keep most trolls away.

2013 Arctic Fox 811
'07 Duramax Crew Cab/Thunderjet Luxor Offshore
Sold: Flagstaff TT/Forest river 23t/Cougar 314 5er/Arctic fox 811/2000 Tioga 29z class c

Posted By: sirdrakejr on 08/26/10 09:04pm

Look here:
http://www.palominorv.com/site/default.a........l=M-700&model=maverick&name=10&series=TC

or here:
http://www.palominorv.com/site/default.a........l=M-800&model=maverick&name=12&series=TC

Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

Posted By: Eycom on 08/26/10 09:27pm

Take note of the camper's center of gravity. You want that weight on or just in front of the rear axle. Otherwise, as mentioned, your steering is going to be a tad on the light side.

RVn Full-time

Posted By: dadwolf2 on 08/26/10 08:13pm

Let's assume the truck can handle it for now. Should the TC manufacturer be consulted to determine if that much of the TC can be unsupported? What I've read here in the past is that the tailgate shouldn't be used to support anything because it wasn't designed for that kind of load. But, I'm just thinking out loud and will leave it to the experts here.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

Posted By: Roy M on 08/26/10 08:23pm

Welcome back. You will be hanging most of the camper behind the truck axle which is going to make handling very unpleasant if not downright scary especially in a wind. And Winnipeg has no shortage of that LOL. IMHO, you would be better off with another trailer. Leave that big TC for a dually long bed.

Old age and treachery always beats youth and enthusiasm

Posted By: woodrow on 08/26/10 11:46pm

Roy M wrote:

Welcome back. You will be hanging most of the camper behind the truck axle which is going to make handling very unpleasant if not downright scary especially in a wind. And Winnipeg has no shortage of that LOL. IMHO, you would be better off with another trailer. Leave that big TC for a dually long bed.
WTF..I tow a 6,000# boat behind my 811 that rings in @4K and have NO axle issues/sway or whatever bs u came up with....like I mentioned B selective, Dude the difference between a (9 and a half footer) and mine is hmmmm...7 inches...not nearly enough to make anything scary. This guy must b an uneducated tool when it comes to TC's....

Posted By: billtex on 08/27/10 06:33am

Welcome back, our Adventurer is probably as long (you said "largest"?) a camper you will find for a SB truck...floor lg = 8' 10". I suppose you could look at slides...but that really puts you out of 3/4 ton territory.
We are pleased with the performance of this camper. A perfect fit for a 3/4 ton truck.

810WS

Bill

2006 Chevy D/A CC
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: tuna fisher on 08/27/10 05:55am

I carry a 8.5 on a crew cab SB but it was made for a SB. I sure wouldn't put a camper any longer on one.If it's designed for a 8' box use a 8' truck period!!! Your handeling will suffer as the COG will be way off.JMO.

• 2001 GMC Durmax
  • 2006 Wells Cargo
  • 1986 Honda CT110 Trail
  • 75' Honda CT90 1995 8'6" Lance Lite
26'Nomad 5th wheel

Posted By: NRALIFR on 08/27/10 12:16am

The key elements of your questions in red below:

MudChucker wrote:

...........I dont know what I can safely haul with a 6 foot box.

Im looking at a 9 and a half footer that was designed for an 8 foot box with a foot and a half over hang...

would the weight be properly distributed over the axel (does that matter so much ?) ?
and 3.5 feet (2 feet of which is on the tailgate) hanging out the back be a problem ?

A TC designed for an 8 foot box probably isn't going to work in a short-bed truck precisely because the weight would not be distributed over the rear axle properly. The COG (center of gravity) will likely be too far behind the rear axle. Leaving the tailgate on won't change that, and they aren't designed to support that much weight anyway.

There are TC's designed for short beds only, and a few for short or long beds. I would be looking for one of those.

* This post was edited 08/27/10 02:51am by NRALIFR *

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2010 F450

Posted By: jimh425 on 08/27/10 12:31am

You can put what ever size that will fit in the bed. The biggest designed for a 6 1/2 bed is probably a 8 or 8.5. I'm sure some will disagree, but at least you didn't buy a crew cab short bed. I doubt a 9.5 would be much worse that that combination with a 8.5. That being said, I wouldn't do either!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR. '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Posted By: MudChucker on 08/27/10 07:42am

Cheers folks, thanx for the advice.

I've been looking at the Lance campers for shortbed trucks, but they are just a little cost prohibitive at near 20K.

I think I will stick with a max of 8 feet as I've seen 8 footers in the 6 foot boxes without issue, Im not really too excited about having that 1.5 foot over hang down below the tailgate.

Posted By: Rich&Yvonne on 08/27/10 06:03am

check out the Lance website
http://www.lancecamper.com/truck-campers/830/index.html

2008 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab LB 6.0 Vortec
2010 Lance 1040

Posted By: Adub on 08/27/10 09:53am

Heres my 811 on my shortbed, (made for a shortbed)
I would be aware of your CG, Get it behind your axle and your in for a poor handling rig.

Posted By: Less Stuff on 08/29/10 10:49am

You might look in your trucks glove box there will be a sticker that tell's what weight GM recommends a camper should weigh for your truck. That sticker assumes 150 lbs. under each seatbelt plus the camper weight shown.
If I were you I would only look at campers recommended by their makers for short bed trucks and that weigh less than the number in your glove box.

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2014 Jeep Patriot
Future folding trailer or ?

Posted By: mkirsch on 08/27/10 04:41pm

The CG, aka COG, is what's important, PERIOD.

Your truck owner's manual will have camper loading information, including how to find out the CG range in the bed.

The camper will often have the CG marked on the camper itself. If not, it will be specified in the owner's manual.

If the camper's CG falls within the truck's allowable CG range, you will be fine.

It really is that simple.

2002 Chevy 3500 DRW/8.1/Allison & 2000 Palomino B1500 popup TC

-Yes, I haul a popup with a dually. No, I don't think I need a dually to haul a popup.

Posted By: gtkato on 08/29/10 09:51am

I have a Lance 845 on a short bed Dodge. I am very pleased with the handling of this camper. I also owned an AF 860Silver Fox full wall slide, and felt it was too heavy and the COG was not quite right. The AF 811 seems well suited for a short bed also. Lance still makes a 825 which is perfect for a 3/4 ton short bed.

FlyFishn
2014 Lance 1985 with 4 Season Cert, 160w Solar, Blue Ox Sway Pro
2011 Ram "Outdoorsman" Hemi with max Tow Package, Timbren

Posted By: BrandonR on 08/27/10 04:20pm

Quote:

Geez, not this******again..

A 9.5 ft on a 6.5ft bed (Yes, they are 6.5' not 6') has 31% of the floor past the bed

A 12ft on an 8ft bed has 33% of the floor past the bed

That would imply that all the 12ft campers on long beds are dangerously unstable.

Seriously, find the COG, that's what actually matters, if it's above the rear axle or forward of it and the weight doesn't exceed the truck capacity the truck will handle fine.

Brandon Reed
Albany, OR

Posted By: racedrvr on 08/29/10 02:19pm

I have a Bigfoot 8.2 1500 that I carried on my GM 2500 shortbed. I didn't even have to put air in the airbags to haul it. CG was ahead of the axle by a couple of inches. It's for sale now as I have replaced it with a Bigfoot 2500 9.4 on the same truck. The CG of that camper is also ahead of the axle as it too was designed for a shortbed. It does weigh considerably more than the 1500 (600 lbs) such that some modifications to the standard suspension/tires are required to maintain the handling. See my signature below. I just completed 9000 miles in 2 trips with the 9.4 foot camper on my shortbed through all kinds of terrain including mountains and off road without a problem. I was also towing a trailer. It can be done safely if you are mindful of the limitations.

Chevy Silverado LT EC 3500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison. Torque Lift/Fastguns, Torklift superhitch,
Honda eu2000i & Companion

Puma Unleashed 351THSS + Bigfoot 25C 9.4

Posted By: buggsy on 08/27/10 11:51am

In my experience, anybody (individual or dealer) who is serious about selling the T/C would not have a problem with you at least setting it down on the truck to see what happens. If it's going to be a handful, it WILL be really obvious. Some dealers I inquired with a few years back even offered to let me set it down on the truck and drive around the lot to see what it was like if I was unsure on the weight. There's too many variables (from the make/equipment of the camper to the make/equipment of the truck, to what you are comfortable with for handling) to know without trying for certain.

2005 Superduty
2011 Shadow Lite

Posted By: skanj0 on 08/27/10 06:39pm

Look at the Lance 845 - it's made for a 6.5 foot bed. I have a 2005 845 on a F250 crew cab shortbed, which my wife and I bought used in June.

There are a lot of used campers out there. Check them for water leaks and general up keep, and then save $K over a new one.

2006 Ford F250: Diesel, 4x4, CCSB
BPD EGR, HD Oil Cooler, Water Pump, & FICM
SCT with Tuning by Gearhead
7,000 LB Coil Springs
Twin F450 Auxilliry Springs
Edge CTS Monitoring System
Toyo MTs
2005 Lance 845
2 Ga Charging System

Print  |  Close