RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Golf cart hauling.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Golf cart hauling.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
CamperKen

NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/10 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone know if there is some sort of "rack" that can attach to the back of the TT that would haul a golf cart? Not sure if it is even legal. Looking to purchase a cart but we don't have or intend to to have a seasonal site. We like the idea of camping at different places. Any help would be appreciated.

Sinecure

South of New Orleans

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/10 01:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put mine in the bed of the truck. You wouldn't want to have all that weight (~1000 lbs) hanging off of the back of your camper because you'd probably have negative tongue weight, not to mention the stress to the frame. Not sure if it's legal in your area, but a lot of people around here pull a 2nd trailer behind their camper for the golfcart.

2013 Voltage 3600 EPIC
B&W Companion hitch / TrailAir Tri-Glide pin box

keithinspace

Fredericksburg, VA

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/10 01:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have to agree...not sure putting that type of weight in back of the trailer is a good idea.

I extended my frame and put a 'truck box' in back of my trailer and, when loaded, it probably adds 350# to the way-back of my trailer. First time I took it out? Towed AWFUL.

Took a few heavy things out and put more junk in the front hatch to put more weight on the tongue and things were MUCH improved.

Couln't imagine a golf cart would work too good.

2011 Gulf Stream Ameri-Lite 255BH
Hensley Arrow
2012 Ford F250 Lariat(6.7L Diesel, 3.55 gears, Crew with 6.5' Bed)
Me, Wife, Girl (9 YO), Boy (7 YO), Blind Beagle (108 YO), Tuxedo Cat (3 YO; 6 lives remaining)

m16fullauto

Louisburg NC USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/10 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Majority of states you can not double tow, especialy with a travel trailer. Simply put, that is way too dangerous

We see a lot of people hauling their golf carts in their truck bed and towing a TT. Long bed works great and if using short bed, must watch while turning corners. Might need to add load leveling springs or air bags which is not that expensive but make sure your tires are rated to carry all that weight. Your stopping distance will be reduced as well

2004.5 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4
2006 Jayco Jayflight 31BHDS

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/10 02:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bed of the truck would be the ONLY way you could assure you'd be legal. towing double behind the travel trailer is legal in a FEW states but not in most of them. I usually just rent a cart when traveling because bringing one along is a LOT of trouble. You'd also need to make sure your truck has enough payload to handle passengers, other cargo, trailer tongue weight AND a 800 lb. golf cart. Probably MOST half ton trucks would not be able to handle that weight and many 3/4 tons would also have a problem.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

liketotravellots

MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/10 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I now what you are talking about. I have seen the thing that attaches to the rear frame of the travel trailer (no hitch - Bolted in place)the platform is the width of the trailer with the golf cart parked sideways and in the two backcorners of the rack have small tires under the rack on casters that allows them to swivel. I had never seen anything like that until this year heading out of Myrtle Beach. I saw 3 TT with them parked at Walmart. Did not look safe but it also looked bought not made. The rack was almost an extension of the trailer

2011 Rockwood 8319SS
2008 Tundra 5.7 Dbl Cab

liketotravellots

MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/10 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looked like this with wheels under it

medic9016

South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/10 04:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is the swivel wheelswivel wheel that attaches to the back of you trailer frame. It is not considered a triple tow.

2008 Heartland North Trail 280BH
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie Cummins TD
Prodigy
Yellow Yamaha Golf Cart

CamperKen

NY

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/10 05:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the advice and help. It seems ( given the cost of the attachable hauler) i would load in the back of the truck. However, i wonder if anyone knows if a 2010 ford f-250 diesel will handle the 800 lb golf cart and a 2008 Sunnybrook 26bhs (6000lbs)?? Family of 3 (500lbs.) and cargo 500 lbs???).
I know my truck specs say it tows much more than these numbers, but i get confused with payload, tow load, etc.
Are these figures realistic and possible??

JJBIRISH

Butler, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/10 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

medic9016 wrote:

Here is the swivel wheelswivel wheel that attaches to the back of you trailer frame. It is not considered a triple tow.

This is not true… the swivel wheel companies position is they are not a trailer, but they do not say it isn’t and it is your responsibility to decide where it can be used…

The definition of what a trailer is, is different everywhere, and because it doesn’t articulate wouldn’t be enough to determine it is not a trailer in any state I have checked…

The two best known designs are the swivel wheel and the Idaho tote… neither are recommended for use with TT’s but the Idaho tote would have the least tongue weight…

Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Golf cart hauling.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS