|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> 2010 Ford Escape Transmission failures

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Billyboomp

home

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/10 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed my 2010 Escape for the first time 8-8-10. Four hours later I was on the side of the highway waiting for tow. It was bellowing smoke and puking trans fluid. I followed the pre-trip instructions in the manual and never exceeded 60 mph. So I left the vehicle at a dealer and continued on my 2 week trip. As you would suspect, the trip, minus a vehicle was somewhat runed. I picked the vehicle up on the way home, two weeks later. The dealer had no explination, except that I might consider a dolly. During my six hour trip I stopped and ran the trip proceedures two more times. When I got home the trans was locked up. Another tow to my local dealer. Aug 30th I picked the vehicle up. Another trans installed. They said the trans has to be run on the low fluid mark, when towed. I asked, what do you do when your not towing, they said it was OK to run low. I asked, then why dosen't everyone run on the low fluid mark. They had no anwser. I reminded them that a week prior to my first trip,they serviced my vehicle and when the second trans was installed, I can only assume the dealer was aware of this, low tran fluid idea.

I have been in contact with Ford customer service throughtout. They are very nice, but offer no solution. Now I'm on my third trans and planning a trip end of Sept. I have no confidence that the transmission will not fail.

I like the vehicle very much, however, my number one priority when I bought it, was it was garanteed towable.

I have contacted a company that makes fluid pumps which enable vehicles that not deemed towable to be towed. They make pumps for several Ford models and Ford dealers install them when requested. However, they do not make one for the Escape, because Ford says it is towable. However, they said Ford has contacted them, sent them a trans and asked them to engineer a fluid pump. I guess the theory to run your tran a Qt. low lacks some confidence.

I have asked. how many transmissions are they going to replace before something is done. I don't think they care how much anxiety being broken down on the side of the road, with a smoking car causes.

It's just a matter of time before something spectacular happens, accident, fire, injury. When it does, Ford is going to be hemorrhaging their current consumer confidence.

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/10 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

June 8th, 2010 Motorhome Magazine post...
windjammer70448 wrote:

I purchased an Escape with the intent of flat towing it. Put a Blue Ox system in place then learned of the transmission issues. I talked to Ford and received a TSB 09-20-13 stating reducing the transmission fluid level was the fix. I took it to a local dealer and they did the 10B15 recall and ignored the TSB! said not to reduce the fluid level. I took it another dealer for a second opinion. Same advice, watch speed, watch time, run engine, shift the gears ect.

The first time I towed it the trans burned up with 11K miles on it. Ruined the vacation dealing with it and not to mention we were 125 miles from home. Ford fixed it, they know there's a problem. Didn't fuss a bit.

The dealer it was towed too happen to be close to an area that sees a lot of motorhomes. It was their third Escape transmission in as many weeks. One poor sole was on a third transmission (must be a hard head or slow learner).

Their experience was the reduction in the fluid did not work.

So, I'm stuck with a vehicle that shouldn't be towed and no hope of a factory fix.

My advice, don't buy an Escape to tow, If you have one, sorry..... I guess I'll need to get rid of it as I don't believe Ford can make good. Too bad, I was a Ford guy for a long time.

And...
rcwaz wrote:

I just had my 2010 escape with 1600 miles towed in with a fried transmission. Wish I had bought another car to tow. Just happened this weekend. This morning the response from the dealer where it was towed was that it was my fault. The dealer from whom I purchased it then sent a truck to pick it up saying they will handle it. I will wait and see but the info I read here gives me a good feeling that it might be covered.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. ">

Bomerica

Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/10 11:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I worked for a Ford dealership for twenty years. When the "towable" Escapes first came out we had 4 towed in within the same week. Three where being / had been towed. The forth had never been towed. Even as a dealer we did not get an answer from Ford as to what caused the problem, just to replace the transmisson and tell the customer to run them a low on transmisson fluid.

20anOut

Coastal NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/10 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So sorry you are having problems with your Ford but after 3 trannys maybe it's time for Ford to replace the vehicle with something else that can be towed 4 down without burning the tranny up?

Any chance this be covered under the lemon laws in your state?

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/10 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

so sorry to hear of your problems. we were looking at the '10 escape back in july as a replacement for my wife's 15-yr old van. our first requirement was that it could be towed 4-down. the sales critter assured us it could but i did some research and discovered the tranny problems with the '09s and '10s. found the recall and TSB data but running the tranny fluid at the low point made no sense to me. i'm 'sposed to lower the fluid for towing, then add fluid when not and then lower it again when i want to tow?!? we passed on the escape and chose our close second choice, a jeep liberty. if your escape problems meet your state's the definition of a lemon maybe it's time to return the escape to ford and consider something else.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

The Texan

Home ... Toquerville, UT .. Summer ... Cascade, ID

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/10 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The same transmission is used in other Ford lines that are considered towable. Just a heads up.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

vfrmarc

Hamburg TWP Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/10 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

so sorry to hear of your problems. we were looking at the '10 escape back in july as a replacement for my wife's 15-yr old van. our first requirement was that it could be towed 4-down. the sales critter assured us it could but i did some research and discovered the tranny problems with the '09s and '10s. found the recall and TSB data but running the tranny fluid at the low point made no sense to me. i'm 'sposed to lower the fluid for towing, then add fluid when not and then lower it again when i want to tow?!? we passed on the escape and chose our close second choice, a jeep liberty. if your escape problems meet your state's the definition of a lemon maybe it's time to return the escape to ford and consider something else.

Ford does not expect you to raise the fluid back up, the lower fluid allows for the expansion that occurs when towing with no pump circulation. We have the same tranny in our 2010 Fusion and have towed without consequence approx 2500 miles. I forced my service manager to show me they lowered the fluid level correctly as I could not get it to read.

20anOut

Coastal NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/10 08:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Texan wrote:

The same transmission is used in other Ford lines that are considered towable. Just a heads up.

With that said, makes you wonder why the Escape is having so many problems with being towed.

We have put over 4K trouble free towing miles on our Lincoln MKX with the 6 speed tranny. (knocking on wood)

mm047

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/10 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My understanding is that the Escape/Mariner/Tribute use the 6F35 tranny and the Fusion/MKX use the 6F55. I don't know this for sure, and don't know the difference, except that the Fusion toads OK.

I just bought my wife an 2010 Mariner so we can pull it. My other choice was a Honda CRV. -had to have automatic. I didn't like the CRV as much, and wanted to buy American. I'll be installing the base plate this weekend. Wish me luck.

Mile M.

2008 Winnebago View 24J
2010 Mercury Mariner
Ready Brute Elite and Blue Ox

gnm

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/02/10 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been towing my 2010 Ford Escape front wheel drive since April with no concerns. I removed the fluid to the low mark myself. Make sure you check it when its hot.
About 3000 miles towing so far.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> 2010 Ford Escape Transmission failures
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS