|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford F-250 V-10 vs. Chevy 6.0

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
Cecilt

Page

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/10 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can anyone comment on the ford v-10 vs. Chevy/GMC 6.0L gasser? Since this is not a daily driver and mainly used for towing(6-7k miles per year), winter driving when snowing or just a change from my DD it is not used much and don't think a diesel is the best vehicle to buy. So, I want to buy the next best gasser and not sure of the above which is better. Will the Ford get crummy gas mileage compared to the Chevy/GMC? Does it have much more towing ability? Looking at used so what are good years to look at. tks

samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/10 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 03 Ford with the V10. Get 7 to 9 towing a 34 ft TT and around 10 around Town. Up to 15 on the Freeway at 70 to 75 MPH. I would get the latest model year that you can afford. I have had three TV with the V10 and it is by far the best gas eng that I have ever owned

samsontdog">">

tbrowne

Springfield, OH

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/10 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are both very close in actual horse power and torque specs. Pickuptrucks.com tested both in a shootout in 2007 and the smaller 6.0 Chevy bested the Ford V10 in several categories. The Chevy will probably get better mileage when not towing if that's an issue. The actual comparisons can be found at the site below.

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/2007/shootout/hdshootout2milan.html

Terry Browne

reno82

Cardiff by the Sea, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/10 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's my disclaimer...I'm a Chevy man. For "08" and newer I'd say it's six of one, half a dozen the other. The HP ratings are very close, the V10 has more torque. The 6.0 will get better gas milage, but not much. If you can get the 08 or newer Chevy, the 6 speed auto is great. It really comes down to what you want, try them both and decide. You can't go wrong with either truck JMHO

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/10 09:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Ford 6.8L is THE BEST gas towing engine available. It delivers 457 ft lbs of torque at 3250 RPM's (best in class), HP is an afterthought. It is the only gas engine that gets any respect from the diesel crowd. MPG around town in mine is 12. You want 05 or later for the most capability

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

larry_kruzan

Pekin, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/10 09:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

12 mpg unhooked as others have said, towing at 65mph gets 8mpg. As you go up in altitude, mpg drops like a rock. Lowest I've seen was 4.8mpg at 8000 ft above sea level. Was still towing my 9800lb TT like it was a 12' Jon Boat - without the motor OR the anchor. [emoticon])

One of the most impressive stretches of the long trip we took this past spring, was when we were heading east out of Salt Lake City on 80. It is a LOOOONG climb out of there! Without looking it up, I think we were climbing for 16 miles or so starting with a long 6 mile haul. The V10 never got hot, never stuttered, did not drop power, and did not drop below 3rd gear or 55 mph.

All the way up that grade we were passing folks in lighter trucks and MH with smaller motors that were not just pulling slow, most were below the 45mph level. More than a hand full were steaming on the shoulder. This was the toughest haul we have ever pulled and the V10 did just fine.

That trip was 6600 miles. I set the cruise on 65mph and didn't worry about it until it was time to get gas again. If I was not going to get a diesel in my next truck (Dodge Megea Cab, 6.7 Cummi, etc.) I'd be sure to get a V10.

DISCLAIMER - I've never owned a GM truck, I had one GMC 3500 van. Really not a issue or GM phobic, liked the GMC, I want a Dodge this time. I trade every two years at 90,000 miles and all the trucks last that long without to many issues.

Larry

Larry and Debbie Kruzan

We never turn a corner without wondering in amazement at God's creation!

Ruth & Edward

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/10 09:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2006 F350 V-10 gasser (see signature). Very pleased with it. If you go with the Ford V-10 in a used truck, be aware that beginning with the 2005 Super Duty pick-ups (F250/350), Ford made their already-very capable V-10 gasser even stronger. That was the model year they introduced the 3-valve-per-cylinder version, which also included some other "tweaking" (don't recall exactly what the other changes were). Bottom line... the '05 and newer V-10's get somewhat better fuel efficiency while providing more horsepower (362 HP @ 4750 RPM), and greater torque (457 lb/ft @ 3250 RPM) than the earlier V-10's.

My total loaded-for-travel weight ranges from 19,500 to 19,700 lbs (truck and fiver combined). At this load, I'm quite satisfied with my truck's performance. The truck's GCWR is 21,000 lbs (4.10 axle ratio). Towing, I occasionally get as high as 9.1 MPG (9.2 once), but 8.5 to 8.9 MPG are more common. If sustained strong headwinds or steep hills, the MPG's drop down into the low-to-mid 7's. When not towing, I have gotten as high as 15 MPG (just barely) on highway trips. Around town (not towing), it varies from about 10.5 to 13 MPG.

If I were towing a whole lot more miles than I do, or in the mountains more than I've been, a diesel might be a better choice. But my truck sits un-used in my garage most of the time - sometimes for two to three weeks with no use whatsoever. I bought it new in January 2007, and total miles to date are just 17,900. Averaging just 5000 miles per year. For my limited usage, it is more than adequate.

2006 Ford F350 V10 2WD SRW SuperCab Short Bed
2005 Sunnybrook Titan 30RKFS Fifth Wheel

williamb

Lake Texoma (OK/TX Border)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/10 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did not set out to buy a V-10. Ended up buying a package deal (fiver and truck) that included "03" F-250 V-10. I was going to move up to a Powerstroke. Two years later and I still have the V-10. I can't find one thing to complain about. Very reliable, plenty of power, 8.5 to 9 MPG towing. We travel with a Dodge Cummins and a Powerstroke. They are getting 11 or so MPG so my range is not as far. I am paying less per gallon so the cost per mile is pretty close.

eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/10 07:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford towing comparison I hope it still works.

These videos are great. I think this is a pretty good comparison how that small block V10 keeps up with the big boys.

Doesn't answer your MPG question but should sell you on the V10's capabilities. It should tow your Passport effortlessly.

2009 Keystone Passport UL 290BH
2003 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L/3.73

CliffordG

Central Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/10 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fla-gypsy wrote:

The Ford 6.8L is THE BEST gas towing engine available. It delivers 457 ft lbs of torque at 3250 RPM's (best in class), HP is an afterthought. It is the only gas engine that gets any respect from the diesel crowd. MPG around town in mine is 12. You want 05 or later for the most capability

?

The Chevy 8.1 produces 340HP at @ 4200 RPM with *455* ft-lbs torque at @ 3200 RPM. The FORD may be "best in class" but it's only by 2 foot lbs, which I promise you is not noticeable.

No gas engine really gets respect from the diesel crowd but if that's your criteria I can tell you that the 8.1L doesn't get bashed by many. It's a beast of a motor and completely as capable as the Ford V10.

Pair it with the six speed Allison in the '06 to '08 model trucks and you have a serious machine. Even the '05, like mine, with the 5 speed Allison will make you happy.

2005 Silverado 2500HD with 8.1L/Allison pulling a 2007 WW FSW 2800.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford F-250 V-10 vs. Chevy 6.0
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS