Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Diesel Pusher Roof Types

Posted By: melton74959 on 09/04/10 08:37pm

I am new to the diesel pusher world and I looked at Fleetwood, Monoco, Winnebago, etc, and the climbed up the rear ladder and inspected the roof. On some I saw just a one piece roof, and on others I saw what looked like a two piece roof in that it had a tape running from front to rear down the middle.
In all cases the salesman told me they all had one piece roofs, the ones that I looked at. One even told me it had an aluminum roof covered by fiberglass.
Does anyone have a link to some site that shows which RV maker has what type of roof?

Posted By: B Bob on 09/04/10 08:44pm

Generally speaking DP roofs are EPDM (rubber resistant to UV light) or fiberglass. A few have aluminum. Fiberglass IMHO is the one you want.

Take all things said by motor home sellers with a Missouri attitude. Show me. My guess would be a roof that had an obvious seam down the middle is not one piece.

Posted By: Bill S. on 09/04/10 09:32pm

All Winnebago class 'A' have a one piece fiberglass roof.

Bill, (aka Capt.Bill)
Indian River, De
2002 Horizon 36LD, Cat 330
Practicing retirement!

Posted By: Bruce Brown on 09/04/10 09:03pm

B Bob wrote:

Generally speaking DP roofs are EPDM (rubber resistant to UV light) or fiberglass. A few have aluminum. Fiberglass IMHO is the one you want.

Take all things said by motor home sellers with a Missouri attitude. Show me. My guess would be a roof that had an obvious seam down the middle is not one piece.

I'd offer very few use true EPDM these days. Most non-fiberglass are a TPO type syenthetic material, which is much better than EPDM.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Posted By: DSDP Don on 09/04/10 09:59pm

The Monacos had aluminum roofs and changed to one piece fiberglass around 2006 depending on the model. My 2005 Diplomat has a two piece roof.....2 long rolls of aluminum with a seam (taped over) in the center.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
450 Cummins
2012 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ CrewCab 4WD
2013 Polaris RZR 800 LE

Posted By: wny_pat on 09/04/10 08:46pm

All the manufacturers have web sites and list their specifications. Just google them.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Posted By: Bruce Brown on 09/04/10 10:09pm

fordsooperdooty wrote:

It really gets confusing when some Motorhome companies say "fiberglass roof" and it's merely the typical filon laminated roof.

I very much agree. My parents Tiffin has a "fiberglass roof"; well...ok, I'll keep my Brite-Tek. Friends of ours recently bought another brand with a "fiberglass roof", it's nothing more than the old "milkhouse board" we knew as kids.

Just because it says "fiberglass" doesn't make it a high quality roof. As with everything, there are different grades.

Posted By: SooperDaddy on 09/04/10 10:04pm

It really gets confusing when some Motorhome companies say "fiberglass roof" and it's merely the typical filon laminated roof. Same shiney stuff a lot of RV's with laminated wall construction have. And it can delaminate.

Some Top end Class A and 5th wheel manufacturers like Newmar uses Brite-Tek poly-vinyl roofing!

True Fiberglass Roofs made with layed up chopper or hand layed fiberglass built like a boat hull, and are very rare and expensive.

"Winnebago has a Fiberglass Roof features a crowned, one-piece fiberglass roof, backed with a 10-year limited parts-and-labor roof skin warranty. Fiberglass offers superior strength, attractiveness and durability over the rubber roofs found on many competitive models which can chalk, streak and degrade over time. Fiberglass also provides increased puncture and tear resistance."

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 09/05/10 04:52am

Bruce Brown wrote:

Just because it says "fiberglass" doesn't make it a high quality roof. As with everything, there are different grades.

there may be different grades but at least you know it isn't rubber.
bumpy

Posted By: UltraKen on 09/05/10 07:39am

fordsooperdooty wrote:

It really gets confusing when some Motorhome companies say "fiberglass roof" and it's merely the typical filon laminated roof. Same shiney stuff a lot of RV's with laminated wall construction have. And it can delaminate.

Some Top end Class A and 5th wheel manufacturers like Newmar uses Brite-Tek poly-vinyl roofing!

True Fiberglass Roofs made with layed up chopper or hand layed fiberglass built like a boat hull, and are very rare and expensive.

"Winnebago has a Fiberglass Roof features a crowned, one-piece fiberglass roof, backed with a 10-year limited parts-and-labor roof skin warranty. Fiberglass offers superior strength, attractiveness and durability over the rubber roofs found on many competitive models which can chalk, streak and degrade over time. Fiberglass also provides increased puncture and tear resistance."

Are you saying that Winnebago has a "true" fiberglass roof "made with layed up chopper or hand layed fiberglass built like a boat hull, and are very rare and expensive"?

I can't find anything that suggests that. In fact, I doubt that any modern motorhome uses such construction.

The two major types of roofs on RVs today are membrane or frp panels. Brite-tek is one example of a membrane roof, Filon is an example of an frp type roof.

From the internet:

BriteTEK™ Roof Membrane blends the benefits of EPDM and TPO (thermoplastic olefin) providing a watertight roof that is easy to install and maintain. BriteTEK™ has superior puncture and tear resistance and is tested by Carlisle Syntec to assure long term performance. Carlisle's BriteTEK™ membrane resists uneven weathering and fading and passes the ASTM 20 year accelerated aging test. BriteTEK™ features fleece backing.
Both Brite-Ply® EPDM Rubber Membrane and Brite-Tek® TPO Membrane are products of Carlisle Syntec Incorporated, a leader in commercial roofing materials. As the first choice of today's RV Manufacturers, the Carlisle membranes were designed specifically for the Industry, have received the Energy Star rating for their environmental efficiency and are backed by the Industry's only 12-year warranty
--------------
Filon Flexroof

Product: The acrylin modified RVSR Sunguard Flexroof panel is a smooth, gelcoat finished fiberglass reinforced resin (frp) material, formulated with controlled flexibility.

Both types seem to do a satisfactory job in most cases. The leak culprits are almost always the places where the roof is penetrated by vents, A/Cs, or antennas, or the front and rear endcap seams.

Of course you can penetrate either type with accidental contact with tree limbs, etc.

UltraKen
Ex - 1968 Ultra Van
NOW - 1996 Safari Sahara 35' - Model 3530 - Cat 300
Pictures of my Coach
A $93 Rear Camera System
My take on replacing tires
Used MH Checklist
Toad: Dodge Grand Caravan on Tow Dolly or 1981 Vespa on utility trailer

Print  |  Close