Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: amish rebuilt cooling unit

Posted By: bcengineering on 09/07/10 07:27pm

HAS ANYONE BOUGHT AND INSTALLED A COOLING UNIT THAT WAS REMANUFACTURED BY ANY OF THE "AMISH" COMPANIES? MY DOMETIC NEW GENERATION 1026 HAS LEAKED AND I WAS GOING TO REPLACE THE COOLING UNIT MYSELF. tHEY CLAIM THEY RUN COLDER BECAUSE OF THE SOLUTION THEY USE. CAN THIS CHANGE IN THE SOULTION CAUSE A PROBLEM WITH MY UNIT WHEN I INSTALL IT? tHANKS FOR ANY INPUT

BOB C.

Posted By: Gale Hawkins on 09/07/10 08:05pm

Bob I posted some test results from my Amish remanufactured cooling unit for our 18 year old 6162 Norcold.

The best I remember what I posted was at about 85 degrees in and out and both boxes the saem temp on propane in the 4 hour empty test the results was +12/32 upper/lower and on electric in four hours it was +3/32. The max low temps on electric was -12/+15.

I found David Force their (RV Pines Refrigeration) distributor to be very helpful.

Posted By: bill h on 09/09/10 05:03am

I can get over the shouting, but all caps makes the words seem to run together for my old eyes.

I also notice that all caps posters seldom do paragraph breaks. Just one big mass of letters.

NOTE: Any incorrect spelling is intentional to prevent those annoying popups.

84 Barth 30Tag powered by HT502/Thorley/Weiand etc, Gear Vendors OD.
Siamese Calvin and Airedale Hobbes, 4WD Toyota toad

Posted By: Cloud Dancer on 09/09/10 07:14am

What if you replace the ammonia with something else,.....in a ammonia absorbtion system?
And, who is the expert on what happens if you replace the hydrogen with an inert gas?

Right now, since the frige manufacturers themselves have NOT changed either one, my guess is that any replacement would not work as good (cooling-wise).

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Posted By: Dutch_12078 on 09/09/10 07:21am

My impression from reading about the Amish built units is not that they've changed the chemical components, but rather that they've optimized the quantities.

Dutch
1995 Coachmen Catalina 322QBXL
F53 chassis, 460 V8, TST TPMS
Quadra Bigfoot EZE Levelers
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Posted By: Old Snipe on 09/09/10 07:41am

Who would these Amish reman companies be? Might be good information to put out there for others that might be interested (like me).

Best Regards!

Paul D
2007 Winnebago Journey 39K, Cat C7 350 HP
(aka "R SANITY")
2003 Honda Element 4WD Toad
www.rsanityrvtravels.blogspot.com

Posted By: Gale Hawkins on 09/09/10 09:02am

RV Pines Refrigeration is the source I used for an Amish remanufactured cooling using. David Force out of Memphis is their marketing arm. He is on ebay to. search on rv cooling unit amish.

Posted By: Cloud Dancer on 09/09/10 09:10am

Gale Hawkins wrote:

RV Pines Refrigeration is the source I used for an Amish remanufactured cooling using. David Force out of Memphis is their marketing arm. He is on ebay to. search on rv cooling unit amish.

RV Pines Refrigeration, be aware they also have brand NEW units. This is what I submitted elsewhere:

After reading comments and recommendations from y'all(Chris, Doug, Gale etc), AND doing research via internet and phone calls, I concluded that ordering a NEW cooling unit from David Force (yes, made in Indiana Amish town) was the best for deal for me. The factory is staying busy, they're about one week backed up with orders, so I'll have to wait. But, that's one of many reasons I quit fulltiming,.....do NOT need the pressure. I'll take my time doing the job. I've always got something to do.....
I'll post a later update.

I truly appreciate all the help from everyone, THANKS

I have to add:
I'm NOT swayed by the word "Amish" (heck, I own a Newmar, and visited the factory). However, I did like the story that told about why the Amish came to know quite a bit about ammonia absorbtion refrigerators, AND, that it led to an evolution on how to improve the life of these units. Also, better-quality, heavier gauge, SEAMLESS tubing made a lot of sense to me.
AND, the price meant a significant savings for me.

Posted By: JohnnyT on 09/09/10 09:30am

Bob, I installed a new cooling unit built by the Amish...Pines RV a couple of years ago... I also visited where they are made and talked with the designer builder... In terms of performance this unit cools better that the OEM cooling unit... We used to leave the control on 7 now its on 5.. Our unit is a norcold 1200.

Be aware that proper installation is essential to getting the best results... They do provide directions which are easy to follow.

As mentioned David Force is real good to work with...

You might want to plan on changing out your electric elements while you have the refrigerator out since they are relatively inexpensive.

JohnnyT

Posted By: Smokie123 on 09/30/10 05:44am

I don't know about an Amish company but I've bought and replaced the cooling unit on two different refrigerator. It was easy and both units are running GREAT!!! You can rebuild your current unit for a fraction of the cost of replacing.

Posted By: lfeather on 09/30/10 06:46am

Got my new Amish cooling unit here:www.rvcoolingunit.net. Technical support 7 days a week. Great folks to work with. Freezer runs at 0* or lower all the time measured at upper mid level.

Larry, Debbie,Tomi and Daisy
USAF Retired
2003 36' Country Coach Allure #30856
2008 Tacoma Towed
SMI Air Force One toad brake

Posted By: Raymon on 09/30/10 08:21am

Very interesting. Thanks. I will keep on file in case I need a replacement unit in the future. Surely beats buy a complete new unit.

Posted By: randallb on 09/30/10 08:27am

Why would you want to buy a "rebuilt" cooling unit. The most common failure is having a weld crack or pipe rupture allowing the ammonia mix to escape. In a rebuilt unit you still have the old pipe and fittings and the old welds. There is another thread where the RV owner is on his 3rd "rebuilt" unit and the thread reads like he has yet to leave his driveway.
Randy

Posted By: Gale Hawkins on 09/30/10 03:47pm

randallb wrote:

Why would you want to buy a "rebuilt" cooling unit. The most common failure is having a weld crack or pipe rupture allowing the ammonia mix to escape. In a rebuilt unit you still have the old pipe and fittings and the old welds. There is another thread where the RV owner is on his 3rd "rebuilt" unit and the thread reads like he has yet to leave his driveway.
Randy

You do not. That is why go with a remanufactured or better yet get a new improved (over the OEM new one) Amish cooling unit.

Rebuilt may last a day or 20 years.

Posted By: wagonmaster2 on 11/04/10 12:56pm

Gale Hawkins wrote:

randallb wrote:

Randy

You do not. That is why go with a remanufactured or better yet get a new improved (over the OEM new one) Amish cooling unit.

Rebuilt may last a day or 20 years.

Out of curiosity, what is the difference between "rebuilt" and "remanufactured"? Kind of sounds like the same thing said two different ways. I would tend to agree with others, a new unit would be the only way to go.

Wagonmaster2

Posted By: bob_b on 11/04/10 01:49pm

My 'Amish' rebuilt unit was installed a few years ago works better than my Norcold unit did. If I recall, they replace a lot of the problem areas instead of patching. The kit was very complete and returning the core was very easy.

'93 Itasca Suncrusier diesel towing a '05 Honda CR-V.
Bob, Pam(DW), Bridget(DD) and Christine(DD)
See you at most of the Penn State tailgates

Posted By: bill h on 11/05/10 10:12am

Buck62 wrote:

Before I believe it was made by Amish craftsmen, I want to visit the actual shop and see the Amish craftsmen working and making the product I am going to buy.

I have seen some ads that made me wonder if the place required all employees to look "Amish".

Check them (and their transportation) out at quitting time.

Posted By: millertime on 11/04/10 01:02pm

My unit purchased from Davis Force two years ago. Works better than the NEW Dometic I had that leaked. They use heavier tube where the problems were. NO LEAKY

Chuck and Cindy
2002 Dodge 2500/Cummins
Reese 15000#
CF28BH Cruiser picked up 12-22-03
hyd/disk brakes installed 12/07

Posted By: sdianel on 11/06/10 08:39pm

my brother-in-law just bought one for his Dometic. Total cost $900 to have it shipped and a local RV repair shop install the new cooling unit. It's been working for about 3 weeks. He said it seems to be much better built than the one that came on the Dometic.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Posted By: Joe T. on 11/06/10 08:56pm

We live in Wichita, KS. There is a large Amish / Mennonite community west of us (near Hutchinson, KS). We like to go to the Carriage House on Saturday's for breakfast - an 'Amish' restaurant in Yoder, KS.

They have a nice 'gift' shop. Most of the items are from China - not Amish. The same can be said for the other shops in Yoder.

Very disappointing.

Joe T.

Posted By: jwmII on 11/06/10 10:21pm

Cloud Dancer wrote:

What if you replace the ammonia with something else,.....in a ammonia absorbtion system?
And, who is the expert on what happens if you replace the hydrogen with an inert gas?

Right now, since the frige manufacturers themselves have NOT changed either one, my guess is that any replacement would not work as good (cooling-wise).

jwmII

Posted By: Gale Hawkins on 11/06/10 10:52pm

You will notice Pines RV Refrigeration do not mention they are Amish nor do they even have a website. It is the company that markets for Pines RV Refrigeration that uses the term "Amish". Amish has become a 'generic' term for sure.

David is located in TN and this covers the Amish connection.

If David Force states the 1200 cooling units that he markets have been beefed up in design to overcome the Norcold design/material defects I would be inclined to take it as fact based on how consistent he has been in his actions and words concerning the Amish remanufactured cooling unit we purchased and installed ourselves. There is NO way I would replace at my expense any new Norcold cooling unit but would go with the white Amish new from scratch 1200 cooling unit.

* This post was edited 11/06/10 10:58pm by Gale Hawkins *

Print  |  Close