RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Canada purchase trailer out of province.how to register?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Canada purchase trailer out of province.how to register?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
bunny4

canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/10 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,
Well I have sold my Class A and decided to get a travel trailer instead.
My question is for Canadian rvers. I am heading to the island for the winter and want to buy a used trailer there and winter there in it.
How do I go about getting the plates of my home province on the trailer without going home??(Of course I can keep the actual plates and take them with me:>)
but I will need to register the trailer (change ownership) with my home province..correct??
I do plan on staying on the island at least 6 months.
From what I understand a travel trailer is more or less treated the same way a motorhome is.

Thank you
JO

* This post was edited 09/09/10 01:45pm by bunny4 *

Center Pin

Fort Langley, BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/10 02:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in BC and bought my TT in AB. In order to register it in BC the insurance agent had to visually verify the VIN before it could be registered.

Trailer: 07 Tango 299BHS w/ 225/70R15 LT Load Range D

TV: 2004.5 Dodge 610 CTD 3500 QC 48RE 2wd Laramie SRW, FP Gauge, FASS 95/95, Rhino Lining, Hensley Arrow, Air Bags & Compressor, Canopy, Custom Boat Rack.
Been running B100 home brew June 2008!

vic46

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/10 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming that you do not live in Alberta, you also need to deal with the sales tax issue in your province of residence. I suspect you will have to pay the sales tax at the time you register the trailer. Perhaps your insurance agent or a friend would do you a kindness and look after getting the registration in place and then overnighting the plate to you on The Island. You would obviously have to make some funds transfer arrangement for the tag fee and the sales tax.
Vic

Lack of common sense is the greatest mental illness known to mankind.

bunny4

canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/10 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Center Pin wrote:

I live in BC and bought my TT in AB. In order to register it in BC the insurance agent had to visually verify the VIN before it could be registered.

hmm..interesting..is that because it was purchased from Alberta? seems like a bit of a headache to have to do that.

bunny4

canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/09/10 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vic46 wrote:

Assuming that you do not live in Alberta, you also need to deal with the sales tax issue in your province of residence. I suspect you will have to pay the sales tax at the time you register the trailer. Perhaps your insurance agent or a friend would do you a kindness and look after getting the registration in place and then overnighting the plate to you on The Island. You would obviously have to make some funds transfer arrangement for the tag fee and the sales tax.
Vic

I am actually in the Yukon and do not have PST (HST) BTW Center Pin nor do I have to insure the trailer here..(new info to me).and yes since posting I have found out it can be done via fax and the plate shipped down.

Thank you both
Jo

1971 scamper

bc

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/10 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bunny4 wrote:

Center Pin wrote:

hmm..interesting..is that because it was purchased from Alberta? seems like a bit of a headache to have to do that.

this is true they had to veiw mine as well when i registered it in bc, it was good in a sense cause alberta had the vin wrong on the paper work

74alex

Burnaby, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 09/20/10 10:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

www.icbc.com is the web site of the B.C. gov. that is responsible for vehicle registration, insurance, and sales tax.
You will find everything that you need to know on that website.
Alex

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Canada purchase trailer out of province.how to register?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS