RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Buzzing Noise Through Speakers When Using Inverter

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Buzzing Noise Through Speakers When Using Inverter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
OBSPowerstroke

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/10 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While playing around with the laptop and television in the trailer this morning, I noticed I get a real loud buzzing noise through the speakers in the trailer any time I try to run either the TV and/or laptop off the inverter with the audio being output to the trailer stereo.

If I turn off the trailer stereo and run the audio strictly through the TV, there is no buzzing noise, and the inverter powers both the TV and laptop just fine. I can run the TV and laptop directly off the A/C circuit in the trailer and output the audio to the stereo with no noise issues. I only get the buzzing when attempting to incorporate the inverter.

Below is the equipment I'm using:

Trailer Stereo: Jensen AWM970
Inverter: VR-3 175 watt max output
Television: Vizio 22" LED M220MV
Laptop: HP Pavilion dv8

Any suggestions for solving the buzzing noise through the stereo? At least I know my inverter will power everything just fine when I strictly have battery power, however it would be nice to output the audio to the stereo speakers...

Thanks in advance!

Josh
'96 Ford F250
'11 Komfort Resort 240RK (Caesar's Palace)
Portland, OR

cmartin7143

ILL

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/10 12:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am no electronic wiz but the buzz is the inverter at work. Its much like a freq drive used in buildings its creating dirty power into the 12vdc system. try radio shack and pick up a automotive line filter and install it in the power feed to the Jensen. it should be able to smooth the power and stop the noise. its cheap and easy place to start. Good luck!

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/10 03:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Modified Sine wave dirty power and hard on electronics. Pure sine wave clean power.

Rick From Sequim

Sequim, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/10 10:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzz is because your converter produces a modified sine wave (as in not pure clean alternating current). A more expensive inverter solves the problem.

Rick
& wife Loie & Kodi Dog (blk male std poodle)
2011 GMC Sierra & 2005 25' Bigfoot RQ

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/10 12:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used to have noise in our TV and microwave Clock before we replaced our modified sine wave inverter with a pure sine wave inverter. Fine now.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2003 Odyssey
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog

OBSPowerstroke

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/10 01:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2chiefsRus wrote:

We used to have noise in our TV and microwave Clock before we replaced our modified sine wave inverter with a pure sine wave inverter. Fine now.

My current inverter is a Costco special MSW, and an upgraded, permanently installed inverter is definitely on my list as an eventual upgrade, but I'm planning on getting by with what I have at the moment until my wallet cools down a bit from buying and outfitting the new trailer.

N8GS

West Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/10 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, changing to a pure sign wave inverter will solve your problem. I have 3 Samlex inverters. I have a 2000 watt mounted in mt FW to run the Micriwave, TV and computer. I keep a 150 watt in the truck to power the computer and cell phone chargers. The 600 watt unit is in the semi.
Check out DonRowe.com, he has good prices and you can call him and get good honest advice.

Ham radio 73's from Gale N8GS
2009 GMC 2500HD Ext cab, LB 4x4 Duramax
2006 Cougar 290EFS (RK) Axle wt 8200#, Pin wt 1760#
B&W companion
2 Honda EU2000i IOTA DLS90 converter
4-Trojan T1275's(600Ah)+470W of solar w/ Outback FM-60 CC
Samlex 2000w PSW inverter

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/10 12:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tv probably has circuitry in it that smooth out the RFI created by the inverter.

redwake

Visalia, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/10 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

change inverter or buy isolator/filter radio shack will have a solution either way.. look for the older guy that's worked there for a while he will help you out more than the kid selling the cell phones.

TT: 08 Monterey 27 PT by Extreme RV
TV: 05 Eddie Bauer Expedition w/5.4L 3.31 Gears
Hitched with a Husky WD & SC.