|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> 1998 RoadTrek Versatile 200 - paint problem

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
kmb1966

Lake Charles

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/10 07:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking at a 1998 RoadTrek Versatile 200 that is for sale. It has some sort of a paint problem, and I simply don't know what it is. The seller doesn't seem to know either. He described it as some sort of fiberglass curing problem that has taken place. Although I don't know what it is, I can describe it to you all folks here:
It is only on the fiberglass areas of the van. It is not on the driver door area, passenger door area, or hood. It is on both sides of the van but in the middle and toward the rear. The color of the van is white, and the best way to describe it is tiny white bumps. The bumps are hard, and do not appear to flake or peel off. These little bumps are about the size of a pin head. I wish I could show a picture, but I don't know how to post pics on this site. But perhaps from the description, someone can tell me what the prognosis and outlook is for this type of paint problem.

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/10 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think there was a similar post about a 200 here a few years back, but I dunno if it could be found with the 'search' function at the top of the page or not. Totally guessing, it was maybe 3 to 5 (?) years back.

I think I'd find out as much about it as possible, maybe try to obtain close-up pix, and then try a call or email to Roadtrek to discuss it with them. I wouldn't expect them to warranty a 12 year old paint job, but they may be able to shed some light on what the problem was/is. Sounds like it would take a lot of sanding and a repaint. Probably too old to be worth that unless you get a real deal on it, or it's exceptionally low mileage.

Jim, "Dark matter happens."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

antiquedrose

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/10 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just seeing this thread...my 2001 RT Versatile 200 has peeling paint on the body. It started as bumps then progressed quickly. Will cost $$$ to repaint.

DUTCH VanAtlanta

Atlanta, GA USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/10 04:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've read elsewhere about paint problems with the Roadtreks. It's one of the reasons they were scratched from my consideration list.

antiquedrose

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/10 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't scratch off all RT's. As I understand it from these forums, the paint problem occurs on early makes of the 200.
There is plenty of other stuff RT does that is consistently spot on.

We're holding off on the paint job we had scheduled for this fall. We'll keep this RV till the wheels fall off, won't trade in or sell. We'll just drive around tacky for a while. We have that option as the peeling paint is on the fiberglass body.

Too bad the RT decals are prominent.

ROADTREKKER2000

WESTERN WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/10 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This issue was discussed in June & July of 2006.

Do a search on the following: 'fiberglass resin outgassing'.

Papa , Lois Griz

2000 Roadtrek 200 Popular

Flarpswitch

Salem, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/10 08:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2003 Popular 200 may be the one referenced. In the first year several voids just below the gel-coat had to be filled and soon bumps started to appear all over the van. The selling dealer sanded, repainted and applied new decals. Looked better than new. Almost two years to the day after, an outbreak of bumps many times as bad as the first occurrence seemed of appear overnight. The dealer guaranteed the work and repainted once again. This time the fiberglass was sanded more aggressively and left open several weeks. The end result was not perfect, but I was pretty worn down by the whole experience and just glad to get it back home. The body wasn't smooth anymore and on close inspection you could see just how hard they dug into the fiberglass. The paint had a little orange peel texture to it, but I've seen worse. Anything was better than the thousands of bumps all over the van. I'm pretty sure that the dealer was left holding the bag on this one and Home and Park assumed no responsibility. There has been no problems since, but in the area around the exterior storage, more bumps started to appear where there had been no body work. I believe that there is no practical fix other that scrapping the whole thing. Last spring when a fuel pump problem left us stranded several times, we decided that we had enough and traded it in on a new RV only to start a whole new cycle of headaches. To verify that this is the same problem, poke a bump with a pin and see if you can squeeze out any liquid. It will be sticky and have a strong resin smell. If not, as the paint is resilient you may have to scrape away some paint to see if there is any hardened resin below the surface. In 1988 I bought an new SeaRay boat that I still have today. If the RoadTrek fiberglass what half the quality of my boat I might have been more willing to keep it. I thought that I was the only one with this problem.

Steve
'09 Navion iQ

DrJoeB

Who cares

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/10 09:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DUTCH VanAtlanta wrote:

I've read elsewhere about paint problems with the Roadtreks. It's one of the reasons they were scratched from my consideration list.

Then you should "scratch" off all RV manufactures because they're all junk. If you think Roadtrek issues are serious enough to not warrant consideration - your not going to be happy with any RV. If a lousy paint job is all my Roadtrek suffers while I own it, I'll be a happy camper.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> 1998 RoadTrek Versatile 200 - paint problem
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS