|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing a VW Jetta

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
drewt

Congers

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/10 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I've been getting a lot of mixed information in regards to towing a VW behind my motor home and was hoping I could get more information from the experts here. Does anyone know if an '09 VW w/the 6 speed manual transmission be towed 4 down? I'd like to avoid towing on a dolly or trailer if at all possible but don't want to hurt the VW.

Please help and thanks!
-Drew

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/10 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even Remco, the experts on TOADS are confused!

1st they say..."1982 - 2011 Volkswagens- All Volkswagons Application Notes:
All Volkswagen 5 SPEED manual transmissions are safe to tow. The new SIX SPEED MANUAL transmission is unknown..no information is available. Check with Remco on baseplate availability. Engine:ALL
Drivetrain:FWD"

Then...

"Transmission-Manual
Click here to tow your 1982 - 2011 FWD ALL Volkswagen- All Volkswagons
1982 - 2011 Volkswagen All Volkswagons Application Notes
No Remco. Vehicle cannot be flat towed. Front wheel drives require a dolly, check owners manual and dolly distributor to confirm a dolly is usable for vehicle."

Motorhome Magazine TOAD Guide for 2008 says no also! It's unanimous!
NO!

If you want to bring the Bug...it looks like a car hauler trailer is in your future!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

JohnQ

Port Angeles, Wa., (Freshwater Bay)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/20/10 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tow our 2002 VW Jetta TDI 5 Speed four down with no problems. Just a headsup, Roadmaster's estimate for 4 plus hours of labor to install a tow bar brackets & Wire is "Conservative", it took the guy in Portland all of those 4 hours and then one more.

1997 Safari Serengeti M-4040 Cat 300 &
2002 Jetti TDI & 2004 Ford Explorer Limited V8 Toads

Johnny G1

Clearwater, British Columbia ,Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/10 10:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I'm into 7yrs of towing 4 down in my Jetta 5 speed and no problems to date and I have towed it over 30,000 miles, the only problem I see is tire wear but it could also be the Michelin's are junk, 30,000 miles on the first set and the second set is over half worn. Just my thoughts.

1998 34' Newmar Mountain Aire,210 Cummins Puller, 542 Allison 4 speed, BD Performance Exhaust Brake, BD Torque Convertor, Hendrickson Air suspension, 4 wheel disc brakes. 4-120 Watt 2-80 Watt Kyocera panels 8-T105s 2013 Golf Wagon TDI with tow dolly

routeforty

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/10 07:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The owners manual for our '01 jetta, manual tranny, says it can only be towed with the front wheels down for short distances and not over, I believe 45mph. Maybe the 09 is different?? Your owners manual should say somewhere in it. I had to look because I had to tow mine on a tow dolly backwards, couldn't get it on frontwards. Looked it up. Gary

'05 chevy 3500, duramax, allison, '00 Coachmen Futura 2790 TT, 35th anniversary edition, 05 lance 1130-stable lift

muffie7777

Marietta GA

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/10 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

does anyone tow or know about towing 4 wheels down a 2000 vw beetle gls 5 speed transmission? we keep asking and keep getting conflicting answers. thanks

does anyone know if a 2000 vw beetle 5 speed transmission can safely be flat towed (4 wheel down)? i have heard yes and no, which is correct?

JohnQ

Port Angeles, Wa., (Freshwater Bay)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/10 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

muffie7777 wrote:

does anyone tow or know about towing 4 wheels down a 2000 vw beetle gls 5 speed transmission? we keep asking and keep getting conflicting answers. thanks

I beleive the 1999 1/2 thru 2004 Jetta's and the Beetles are the same frame and drive trains, so I believe you can tow 4 down.

Rosher

Tyler, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/10 01:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own a 09 DSG (automatic) Jetta TDI. For what its worth, the owner's manual at page 345 has a section entitled When can your vehicle not be towed?There follows this statement: "If you have to tow over 30 miles (50 km)."

No distinction is made between the DSG and the manual transmission.

Further there is a "Note" that says "If the vehicle has to be towed more than 30 miles (50 km), it must be moved with the drive wheels off the ground." Further under the note it says "Do not tow your vehicle behind a recreational vehicle for more than 30 miles (50 km). The automatic transmission can be severely damaged, even if the selector lever is in the N ( Neutral) position."

I'll let you be the judge of how to interpret the above. But knowing VW's propensity to try to get out of the warranty, I'd be reluctant to tow either a manual or a DSG while the new car warranty is in force and expect them to cover any transmission problems under warranty without a fight.

Allegro 32 BA
Jeep Liberty Toad
Buster, 3 lb. Yorkie

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/10 10:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rosher wrote:

But knowing VW's propensity to try to get out of the warranty, I'd be reluctant to tow either a manual or a DSG while the new car warranty is in force and expect them to cover any transmission problems under warranty without a fight.
"But knowing VW's propensity to try to get out of the warranty" are very good words of wisdom. Sounds like something I would read over on the TDI Club web site. Don't know how many times I have read about VW getting out of a warranty issue. My 2002 TDI is way out of warranty and has close to 200,000 miles on it and she stays home while we travel. Everybody says I can tow it, but... Tow the DW's Ford Focus behind us. Besides, those VW windshields are made of very soft glass. Would pit the heck out of it.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Gil_Johnson

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/10 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drewt wrote:

Hi,

I've been getting a lot of mixed information in regards to towing a VW behind my motor home and was hoping I could get more information from the experts here. Does anyone know if an '09 VW w/the 6 speed manual transmission be towed 4 down? I'd like to avoid towing on a dolly or trailer if at all possible but don't want to hurt the VW.

Please help and thanks!
-Drew

This is the same car I want to tow. I think I'm going to buy one and try it. FWIW, I have an 09 Jetta and the manual says not to exceed 55 miles or 30mph. That year had the 5 speed manual that's supposed to be fine. My Jetta is an automatic, so I need to get a manual and will likely end up with the 6 speed manual.

Gil

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing a VW Jetta
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS