|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Water pump switch & Range vent latches

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/10 11:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've hated only having the pump switch on the range hood because I turn it off at night and always forget to turn it on in the morning. I "remember" when the toilet doesn't flush and there's no water at the bathroom sink. It's also a problem for potty stops with the slide in since the bath is in the back by the door but the water pump switch isn't.

My solution: I added a 2nd switch on the side of the medicine cabinet. I replaced the existing range hood (SPST) switch with a (SPDT) and connected the new switch as a 3-way. This way either switch can turn on or off the pump. In our camper there's a pantry between the range/micro and bathroom but it turned out to be an easier and cleaner install than I first thought. I used 14 guage wire (same as the original pump wiring) since it has the load of the pump running through it. I bought a rubber covered waterproof toggle switch for use in the wet bath.

I first drilled a hole inside the back wall of the medicine cabinet. When I pushed a wire down into the wall I was able to simply remove the drawers below the pantry and find the wire in the space behind & to the side.

Next I removed the microwave and drilled a small hole into the cavity behind the pantry where the vent stacks run. This cavity is open all the way down to behind the drawers. I sent a wire down there and used it to pull the other ones back up.

I then removed the range hood and fed the wires down along with the factory wires just under the micro. Since the water pump has an indicator lamp it doesn't really matter when you use the other switch which leaves the stock switch "up" for "off".

Here's a few pictures. The only places there are any wires outside of the walls are inside the medicine cabinet and behind the microwave.

The 2nd switch installed:
[image]

Inside the medicine cabinet: (I may make a small cover to clean this up but it's up under a shelf and not too noticeable anyway.)
[image]

Behind the microwave:
[image]

The range hood panel. I added the 3 white wires and swapped out the switch where they and the yellow wire connect.
[image]

While I had the range hood down I did another mod. I was tired of having to latch/unlatch the range vent cover from the outside. Since it goes tap, tap, tap at night in the slightest breeze I had to latch/unlatch it every day.

I used a couple of 1/4 turn RV compartment latches and springs. The springs stretch decently to pull the vent closed. When released the cover can swing open while sliding on the straight part of the springs.

Here's looking at the vent cover from the inside without the range hood installed. I drilled 2 small holes to hook the springs through:
[image]

This is one of the latches installed in the hood:
[image]

This is what it looks like installed (minus the fan). There's a 2nd one on the other side.
[image]

Completed install:
[image]

* This post was edited 09/19/10 12:15am by wnjj *

3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/10 11:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great ideas and very professional install too!!

3 tons

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/10 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cool, adding the second water pump switch, one of those mods that just adds conveniance. We did this a few years ago. Having switch at point of use just makes sence. A white soft plastic container, like lotion bottle, would make an easy cover, cutting off top folding to need

As to the use of the quarter turn latches to close vent lid-CLEVER. Ours is 8' or better off the ground, Ill usually prop open the lid with a twig or binder clip. Been pondering that one for quite awhile. I think I can use your idea-thanks
Mark

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Water pump switch & Range vent latches
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS