Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Turn Signal question

Posted By: QuietWater on 09/19/10 12:51pm

Those of you with older motorhomes might be able to answer my question. I have a 1984 Holiday Rambler Imperial. While having its safety inspection the examiner questioned me about the front turn signals. The light has a two filament bulb and a two contact base but only one filament lights up when both the lights and turn signal are activated. In other words, the flashers only flash on the parking light filament. The other filament doesn't ever light up. The turn signals work fine and all other lights work properly. Is this the way they were set up or have I got a wiring issue. I thought maybe it was a ground issue, but I cleaned everything and wiggled every wire I could find, but nothing changed. The examiner still passed me but thought maybe it shouldn't work like that.

Daniel Miller
1984 Holiday Rambler Imperial
1982 Tioga Arrow Class C

Posted By: semiretiredDIY on 09/19/10 01:19pm

I have a 83 and 95 P30, they both work like yours.

Posted By: ryanallie1 on 09/19/10 04:28pm

Hi All.

You can be sure that it was built legal. From what you are discribbing. You either have bad ground connections. Our you have some dirty contact points, either on the base of the light bulbs, or on the contacts inside the bulb holder base, or on both. Or possibably a blown fuse. But you can almost bet it is one of these options that I just mentioned. I'm betting on a bad ground or do to the Motorhomes age, you have dirty contacts. Check them out with a Mulit-Meter. And get back to us, and let uss know what you found. Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill

1998-33.5 Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

Posted By: ticat900 on 09/19/10 04:35pm

QuietWater wrote:

Those of you with older motorhomes might be able to answer my question. I have a 1984 Holiday Rambler Imperial. While having its safety inspection the examiner questioned me about the front turn signals. The light has a two filament bulb and a two contact base but only one filament lights up when both the lights and turn signal are activated. In other words, the flashers only flash on the parking light filament. The other filament doesn't ever light up. The turn signals work fine and all other lights work properly. Is this the way they were set up or have I got a wiring issue. I thought maybe it was a ground issue, but I cleaned everything and wiggled every wire I could find, but nothing changed. The examiner still passed me but thought maybe it shouldn't work like that.

Take a quick look at the lite assemble from the rear.Does it have 3 wires(it should) one signal power,one park lite power and one grd wire
if it has 3 wires check for power at the two power wires when the signal and lites are on.If they both have power then u have a bad grounding problem most likely.If u only have one power wire then it was wired incorrectly from the factory.The main thing is as long as the signal works although the signal is on a brighter part of the 2 filiment 1157 bulb when wired correctly and or working correctly

Posted By: enblethen on 09/19/10 01:42pm

There is two filaments. One is for the turn signals and the other is for a Parking Light function.
I would check the ground. It is possible that the light is backfeeding through the filaments.
Yes, you have an electrical problem.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

Posted By: Lug_Nut on 09/19/10 01:44pm

It is legal and was probably built that way.

'07 Newmar Essex 45' ISM 500 4 slides

Posted By: Brian in Michigan on 09/20/10 05:11am

I don't think it has a bad ground being the one section of the light is working. You will have to check to see if 12 volts is present when the turn signal/hazard are on and when the parking light is on. If both have 12 volts present a possibility is one a bad bulb? Two, the terminal that the bulb contacts with has turned slightly and only one of the bulbs two terminals are making contact. ( I had this happened with mine ) As a side note, when I first bought my unit whenever I would have my parking/headlights on, my turn signal indicator would light up on my dash and stay lit. As it worked out I had a bad 1157 bulb in the front turn signal. The 2 filiments were touching each other inside the bulb.

1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS, Thorley Headers B&M trans cooler. Auto meter hooked to output of trans. Flowmaster mufflers recurved distributor Still Keepin on Truckin((((Was 7.5mpg Now 8.75mpg ))))

Posted By: QuietWater on 09/19/10 10:16pm

Thanks for all the replies. Since it was about to rain, I didn't get to work on the motorhome as much as I would have liked. I took the lens off, cleaned the socket again (I had already done that earlier) and looked at all the wires. I can't get the "bright" filament to work. But, as I said earlier, the turn signal still works and so do all the other lights. It just works on the parking light filament. I'll try using a meter on it tomorrow and see what comes up.

Posted By: semiretiredDIY on 09/19/10 05:39pm

semiretiredDIY wrote:

I have a 83 and 95 P30, they both work like yours.
did a recheck, mine has the 2 filament bulb, the bright one is for the turn, the other for parking. as others said, there is a problem with yours.

Posted By: wa8yxm on 09/19/10 07:58pm

You have a bad ground, either between the bulb and the socket, or between the socket and the frame.

NO, don't have an older motor home.. but have driven a lot of older cars with exactly that problem

I would clean the socket first.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Print  |  Close