Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: ceiling headliner drooping - have a remedy? Glue maybe?

Posted By: theRoadrunner on 09/22/10 07:38am

I have a 1994 Winnebago Adventurer in Ohio. I also have a 5th Wheel Terry in a permanent spot in Florida.

My Winnebago ceiling headliner has started to come loose and is drooping down is a couple areas.

Just noticed this with the HOT weather we have been having in Ohio. Anyone have a solution?

Can this be reattached with: wallpaper paste or spray glue or
????

Anyone have a suggestion or comment?

* This post was edited 09/22/10 10:54am by theRoadrunner *

Jim & Brenda
"just runnin' down the road"
Have a Winnebago Class A in Ohio
Terry 5th Wheel permanently in Florida

Posted By: 1995brave on 09/22/10 08:03am

Here is the link to how i repaired mine.
Ceiling repair
Just adding contact cement or glue under the material will not last, it all needs to be cleaned before the glue can go on.

Posted By: Popsie on 09/22/10 08:57am

You might try ironing it up using your regular iron. The heat may be enough to soften and reactivate the glue. If it doesn't work, you aren't out anything.

Posted By: imgoin4it on 09/22/10 09:17am

If the material on the ceiling has a foam backing, the foam is probably deteriorating and seperating. If so you cannot glue it back. Need to take it off clean the ceiling and reinstall new headliner material. A temperorary fix might be to staple or screw baton strips from side to side across the existing ceiling material.

Retired and loving it
Living in the Land of Enchantment
Traveling in 2007 Newmar KSDP
towing a Jeep Liberty
with a Blue Ox tow bar

Posted By: theRoadrunner on 09/22/10 10:56am

Thanks everyone - I don't want to get into a vast project ... because I would probably end up with a half vast job. Get me?

Posted By: KarenInTheWoods on 09/22/10 11:13am

Need an extra smoke alarm? How about some stereo speaker grids? An extra LED light fixture? Maybe a pretend AC duct or two? LOL

Just mount some things in the sagging areas, and you have strategically avoided the need to reglue!

Karen and Steveio
Safari Serengeti 38 ft DP
Tracker 4x4 Toad
(My RV Blog RVing: Small House - BIG Backyard
(Camping/Family Photos) http://picasaweb.google.com/pfundt/

Posted By: TomBird on 09/22/10 11:14am

Some auto parts stores has a clear tack that can be pushed in the top of an auto headliner and does not come back out. I used some on an old car that the headliner droped in places and that worked for me. Tom

Posted By: TEO on 09/22/10 11:22am

I used a couple of packs of regular white thumbtacks and put them up in a pattern. It didn't look too bad and I didn't have any tacks fall out.

Paul

Paul & Helen
2002 Winnebago Journey DL
1999 Jeep Cherokee toad
Yellow Lab, Jodie, Chocolate Lab, Coco , and Lab/Golden mix, Sandy.
FMCA 98905
http://ptempesta.blogspot.com

Posted By: bill h on 09/22/10 12:15pm

TEO wrote:

I used a couple of packs of regular white thumbtacks and put them up in a pattern. It didn't look too bad and I didn't have any tacks fall out.

Paul

There are upholsterers' tacks that have decorative heads that look pretty nice, too. You might have to shorten them a little.

NOTE: Any incorrect spelling is intentional to prevent those annoying popups.

84 Barth 30Tag powered by HT502/Thorley/Weiand etc, Gear Vendors OD.
Siamese Calvin and Airedale Hobbes, 4WD Toyota toad

Posted By: bob_b on 09/22/10 02:56pm

TEO wrote:

Paul

I did the same thing. Those white thumbtacks are only 88 cents at Walmart. My ceiling started to droop in certain places three years ago and now everything has needed thumbtacks. When I get richer, I'll get it done right. For now, thumbtacks work great and none of them have fallen out.

'93 Itasca Suncrusier diesel towing a '05 Honda CR-V.
Bob, Pam(DW), Bridget(DD) and Christine(DD)
See you at most of the Penn State tailgates

Posted By: nadkwr on 07/17/11 01:14pm

I just finished fixing my saging head liner on my 1996 Winnebago Brave.
It came out looking great. I used vinly sofet material (vented type looks best)I have pictures if you want to see them. The sofet bends easy and is easy to cut.

Posted By: suchristo01 on 07/17/11 01:36pm

theRoadrunner wrote:

I have a 1994 Winnebago Adventurer in Ohio. I also have a 5th Wheel Terry in a permanent spot in Florida.

My Winnebago ceiling headliner has started to come loose and is drooping down is a couple areas.

Just noticed this with the HOT weather we have been having in Ohio. Anyone have a solution?

Can this be reattached with: wallpaper paste or spray glue or
????

Anyone have a suggestion or comment?

Figures, I can't search up the thread. Member suggested this spray on product. It can be found in the local auto type stores for about 8 bucks a can. heads up

Tommy USMC,Susie USN Ret, Dog Buddy
2000 Fleetwood Flair 25F WH P32 7.4L 19.5"
2002 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0L 5 Spd Man
Blue Ox Base,Aventa II,4 PIN Locks
US Gear UTB, Power Gear Man Lev, Onan 4KW
Tent,GP Tent,Tent Trailer,2 Class A's
Are We There Yet?

Posted By: theRoadrunner on 07/17/11 02:02pm

OK - here is what I did... I bought the recommended spray glue. It . The headliner is backed with a foam rubber backing that has deteriorated and the spray glue does not adhere to the deteriorated rubber backing. Wasted money on that glue.

I decided to add some moulding strips ought at Home Depot. After careful measurements, I stretched the headliner back to position where it was originally and stapled with a staple gun in a straight line all across the ceiling - then I cut to length and nailed the 8 ft. x 15/16 in. x 3/16 in. Polymer Batten Moulding - Model 61010800032 back to the ceiling. I covered the staples - in line - with the moulding strips and - It does not look bad...!

That is what I did. It will work for me.

Posted By: fcooper on 07/21/11 06:09pm

donandmax wrote:

What is vinyl sofet material... Somebody ? Anybody ?? Sure could use it if it works !!

I don't know for sure, but I think he means vinyl soffit materials. Look at the link below for a picture (scroll down a ways). I also don't know how he got around the 16 to 24 inch length limit. More info would be helpful.

vinyl soffit material installation

Fred

Fred & Vicki
Richmond Hill, Ga
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor/Freightliner/330 Cat
2000 Honda Odyssey toad w SMI Silent Partner braking system
TST507 TPMS

Posted By: fortytwo on 07/21/11 07:10pm

The so fit vinyl comes in long strips, but it's only about 16" wide. That's how mine that was installed this spring came.

Wes
"A beach house isn't just real estate. It's a state of mind." Pole Sitter in Douglas Adams MOSTLY HARMLESS

Posted By: nadkwr on 07/22/11 09:46am

donandmax wrote:

What is vinyl sofet material... Somebody ? Anybody ?? Sure could
use it if it works !!

You can buy the vinyl soffet material at home depot or lowes
It comes in 12" wide X 12 feet sections, It is normally used under the eaves of your house. It comes in vented and non vented material.
I think the vented looks best. Yoy attach it to the motorhome ceiling using pan head sheet metal screws. I used 1" long screws(you want to use the shortest screws possible as not to hit any wires)
The first and last section you attach with finishing washers. I am not sure how to attach the pictures, but when i figure it out i will.

Posted By: nadkwr on 07/22/11 10:16am

I don not know how to attach pictures to this post (using vinyl soffet to cover the ceiling)If you want to Email me I will send you the pictures.
kwroton@verizon.net

Posted By: nadkwr on 07/24/11 09:34am

Here are the pictures

Posted By: nadkwr on 07/24/11 09:46am

height=8 width=10[/img]

Posted By: nadkwr on 07/24/11 09:55am

Posted By: nadkwr on 07/24/11 10:01am

Posted By: nadkwr on 07/24/11 10:28am

Posted By: Tinstar on 07/24/11 10:29am

nadkwr, the pics are not visible. You need to put them on a site like photobucket and then link to them.

Never pass up a chance to go somewhere

Posted By: kroton on 07/24/11 10:42am

[/img]

Posted By: nadkwr on 07/18/11 09:14am

I had great results fixing my ceiling by using vinyl sofet material

Posted By: SpinRite on 07/18/11 02:09pm

nadkwr wrote:

I just finished fixing my saging head liner on my 1996 Winnebago Brave. It came out looking great. I used vinly sofet material (vented type looks best)I have pictures if you want to see them. The sofet bends easy and is easy to cut.
nadkwr wrote:

I had great results fixing my ceiling by using vinyl sofet material
Yes. Show us the pictures. Also, exactly what is "vinly sofet material" and where do we get it?

'94 Holiday Rambler Navigator
38', Cummins 8.3 300hp, Allison 3060
pushed by a 2005 Honda Element

Posted By: donandmax on 07/21/11 04:15pm

What is vinyl sofet material... Somebody ? Anybody ?? Sure could use it if it works !!

If it aint broke fix it till it is

Posted By: vance on 07/17/11 09:53pm

I used rosetts(Not sure of the spelling)on a 98 Mountaine Air, got them at Lowe's and used screws to attach them. Worked out nice.

vance
2007 Coachman Encore
330 HP Mercedes
Honda CRV toad
"If you see our children, PLEASE don't tell them where we are"

Posted By: kroton on 07/24/11 10:44am

Posted By: kroton on 07/24/11 10:46am

http://tinypic.com/r/2mrgols/7

Posted By: nadkwr on 07/24/11 11:02am

http://tinypic.com/r/2uz3w4n/7http://tinypic.com/r/2uz3w4n/7http://tinypic.com/r/6srl2v/7

Posted By: e&emc on 07/24/11 11:52am

Mine turned out great. The liner was coming loose at the seams and hanging down. I used a putty knife to insert it back under the seam cover. I then air stapled a thin white vinyl strip against the seam cover. You can get the strips in the trim dept. at Lowes. I covered the staples with white spackling and no one even notices the fix.
Sitting in the sun in storage makes the linere come loose. Do not even waste your money on glue as it will not work plus it discolors the liner.

Good luck, Ed

Posted By: nadkwr on 07/24/11 01:15pm

using vinyl soffet

Posted By: nadkwr on 07/24/11 01:21pm

Using vinyl soffet

Posted By: nadkwr on 07/24/11 01:27pm

Using vinyl soffet

Posted By: fcooper on 07/24/11 01:42pm

Wow. Using the vinyl soffit for headliner turned out great. Good job of using an alternate material for the job.

Fred

Posted By: wildmanbaker on 07/24/11 07:20pm

That does look good! It gives the look of a boat, which is not bad. Way to think out of the box, and it works.

Wildman

Posted By: theRoadrunner on 07/24/11 07:32pm

Good idea...

Posted By: nadkwr on 07/25/11 04:21am

Thanks to everyone for your kind words. And if you want more detailed info, just let know

Posted By: denjoe81 on 11/25/11 04:40am

I JUST FINISHED REPAIR WITH VINYL ON 1991 34' WINN. BRAVE! Cost: $350.00. Tools: Good medium size scissor/snips with pointed ends, a metal square (the big one), tape measure, and anything else I mention in the foregoing.
First I must say thank you NADKWR. You da'man! It turned out great!
I wanted to expound a little on details so here goes. Of course the vinyl soffit (it and everything needed avail. at H'Depot) is installed across the ceiling and not lengthwise. NADKWR started with washers for the first piece due to the fact there is no lip to snap onto until you get that first attached. I did not. I started (at front)and simply located the center of the piece that I cut close to exact fit. I then ran my first #6 by 3/4" panhead (in a box of I think 100 at H'depot)thru one of the airholes at the center of the forward section about 1" from the face of the forward cabinets. I then put screws at 9" increments going left and right to approx. 3-4" from the wall. The holes in the soffit give you a nice guide for placing screws and cutting the soffit (which btw must be in a 65 degree plus environment or it will crack when you cut it, turn the heat on). You can also remove the screws if needed and not leave a noticeable hole. Be sure the first piece is exactly perpendicular to the sides or your entire job will be crooked. BTW, I LEFT THE SAGGING MATERIAL IN PLACE. NO PROBLEM.
Now.. when you put those first exposed screws (which are NOT in the normal screw tab but rather on the face which easily compresses.)let the screw run thru the vinyl until it touches the ceiling then let it bite into the wood without pulling the soffit too far up to where it is sinking. You want a nice clean line across there when you stand back and look at it. After doing all that, pull each screw one at a time back out with a phillips hand screwdriver and put a white snap cap (h'depot in those slide-out drawers in the hardware dept.) on and put it back in. Looks great. For all other screwing (?) I used an 18v DeWalt and a couple times a small B&D palm size nut driver. Now you get the feel of how the rest of this is going to go. Note: there are a few metal braces you will come to that won't allow you to use the above screws. You must use a 1/2" self tapping type. That will be less than 5 percent of the screws. No big deal. Also: always space your screws approx the same as the first piece and just "snug" them down. Continuing: start cutting pieces to fit as did Take your time, if you mess one up you can likely use that piece in a smaller area like the bathroom etc. I did not try to put any kind of trim on the sides nor did NADKWR as I recall. That would be tough considering the corrugation. I just cut to fit. When I put those end screws on each piece in I stayed back, like I said above, about 3 inches from the wall. ALSO, I paid close attention to keeping the ends consistent by not running the screw in further than I did on the last piece. It keeps that visual line down the length of the rv the same. Now the vents: I pulled the trim piece off and went right over it. Today I'll cut that out and put trim back along with crank. A/C unit: this takes patience. I pulled the cover (the one in the ceiling not on top) and saw the imprint of it in the sagging ceiling material. That is your guide. Cut the pieces accordingly so no edges are exposed after you put cover back on. Now the tricky part. (you'll need to be handy for this one). Making sure there was no power going to the a/c, I needed to do a little altering of the switch positions. I simply needed to lower them approx 1/2 -3/4". The cover actually hangs on them and in order to compensate for the added thickness of the soffit they must be lowered. I simply pulled them loose, cut the hole in the sheetmetal they go thru by turning it into a slot. Then I dropped them down as needed and secured them back. The fan control one uses a nut (like on a car radio knob) to hold it in place. The T'stat one uses 2 small screws so I just drilled two holes slightly bigger than the screws at a lower point in the sheet metal on that one. Not that difficult. You will understand when you get it opened up. Let me also say, these covers, lights etc. don't weigh much and will hold fine just by running the screws that hold them in place into the vinyl. Well that's pretty much it. One more little tool that I found handy: There is a "pick" kit available at auto parts stores. 4 or 5 pieces, really cheap in a pack. One is like an ice pick, another a hook and then there is one that is like an ice pick but has a 90 degree turn at the end. I used that one to stick thru a hole adjacent to where I was screwing (?)( gotta add humor when you type this much) that allowed me to hold the vinyl down while the screw was going up to meet the wood. This insures that nice line I was talking about. Only used it a few times but it's handy. If you cut a piece and put it up and it's not quite right just pull it back down and trim with scissors or carefully with a razor knife. I only cut myself once. Not and that was with scissors when my finger was too far under the vinyl. Which BTW, I just laid it all out over the couch and up onto the dining table. Take your time. You'll get really good at it right about when you are close to finished. But.. It sure beats those 3 and 4 thousand dollar quotes out there on a $7900 otherwise awesome motorhome with only 31,000 miles on it. Good Luck! P.S. Patience!

Posted By: denjoe81 on 11/15/11 04:19pm

Awesome! One Q': did you just butt the ends up to the cabinets?

Print  |  Close