|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Curtains vs. cornices

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
akartage

Newport News VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/10 01:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone here removed the cornices from their RV's interior and put up curtains instead? Any pitfalls to watch out for? For anyone who has done this, are you happy with the results?

I'm putting up some kitchen curtains on the small window over the sink in the galley where there isn't really anything now except the blinds. I have to shorten the curtains which are 24" long and the window is only 19" long.

I'm also planning on removing the cornices from the bedroom windows--very heavy and dark and I just plain old don't like them. I have the double shades on those windows--day shade and night shade plus the windows are tinted. So, the curtains will mainly be a decorative item--thinking of just small panels on each side of the window and not something to open and close.

Thanks for any advice!

rolling_rhoda

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/10 02:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking at doing the same thing in our bedroom, mostly because our day/night shades don't darken the room enough for sleeping. I'm a little paranoid about drilling holes in the walls, since we don't know what's underneath.

I'm anxious to see the responses!

louiskathy

Oregon (presently)

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/10 04:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kitchen area ideas including curtains

Bedroom curtains

click on the pictures to enlarge them so you can read the instructions

Kathy

hitchup

Fulltiming and on the Road.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/10 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have shades, cornices and curtains in the main living area of our 5er. Having the curtain helps keep us warmer in Winter and Cooler in Summer.

Instead of taking the cornices down, we went to WalMart and bought tension curtain rods. They come in all sizes. I bought one insulated curtain for the rear window with a shower curtain rod, since it's quite a wide window. The rest I made. We went to the Fabric store and bought upholstery type fabric in a pattern we agreed on. Then I lined with inexpensive sheet fabric to cut the cost. I've had the same curtains for over 4 years and they wash up quite good.

Also, all of the curtains stay up during transit, except for the rear. It tends to fall down, so I now drop it down before each trip.

2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

ryanallie1

Magalia, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/10 04:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All.

We just did a Complete Inside Make-Over. The Twin Matching Loves, and all of the Original Window Treatments were all taken to the dumps. Along with all of the Old Flooring. When we bought our Motorhome, we loved the Floor Plan, but we hated the colors. So now after a total Make-Over, its now the way that we want it. It looks just like a Brand New Motorhome now. Thats whats so nice about a Total Make-Over, you can do anything that you want to your RV. And believe it or not, it wasn't all that expensive either. All New Mods are done also. Also got rid of that darn noisey Bathroom Vent Fan and plain Old Fashioned Vent in the Kitchen/Living area, and installed New Fantsatic Fans. Plus a new 22 inch New LCD TV for the Bedroom. Since we already had a spare Converter Box, we decide to just leave the front TV as is. Since there is nothing at all wrong wiht it. It still has a Beautiful Piture, and yes, it does pick up over the air channels. But our New 22 inch LCD TV works Great for Boon-Docking. Also have replaced almost all of the inside lights with LED Lights. The Lights, that we didn't do, is becasue they are hardly ever used to begin with, so why bother, and spend all the extra money. While we were at it, we replasced all the Hoses, Belts, House Battries to 6 Volt Goft Carts, and a New Engine Battery as well. 7 New Tires too. With a Tire Monitoring System that we already had left over from our 5er. Everything else has been serviced. Our Motorhome has extreamly low miliage, so it will last us the rest of our RV'ing days. Since we have already been at it for 45 years now. Good luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill

1998-33.5 Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

tonyandkaren

pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/10 03:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a top cornice but none on the sides. I made some decorative curtains for the sides with tie backs to soften up the window area. We have day/night shades with blackout lining so there's no need for real curtains. We stapled a strip of velcro to the underside of the cornice and I gathered the curtain material at the top and sewed the other side of the velcro to it. It's very easy to detach the curtains to wash them. I used a lightweight material so that it gathered and hung nicely. I had to use twice as much as I'd originally figured so that they didn't look skimpy.

Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

Alpenliter

Fulltimer: Wherever we are!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/10 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm thinking you mean the valances as opposed to cornices. One thing to remember if you are leaving the day/night shades up, is the valances cover the headrail hardware. Like you, we removed the 8" valance in the galley, as it covered almost 25% of the window. By installing a cafe rod, we picked up a better view and more light in the kitchen. I wouldn't worry about drilling into the walls, there is usually just a thin layer of luan and depending on your manufacture either foam or fiberglass insulation. Drill a small pilot hole first, then wiggle the bit around to see if you are close to anything vital. Good luck and go for it!

My first Wife Linda, 45+years 2004 F-450 CC, DRW 6.0 Classy Chassis Upgrade Bulletproof Diesel upgrades 1997 33' Alpenlite 400 Watts Solar Lifetime Good Sam Member #39644174 Escapees SKP#89882 Vietnam Vet '67-'68 [

Note: Due to invalid formatting, all formatting has been ignored.

ryanallie1

Magalia, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/10 05:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All.

Hey, thats the Beauty of Owning an RV. Its yours. So you can do anything you want to it. We took all of our OEM Window Treatments and through them out. Plus a few other things as well. Including all the Flooring. We just finsihed a Complete Inside Make-Over. We really like the Floor Plan of our Motorhome, but we hated the colors. So now, we have it our way. Was it worth it, You Bet it was. And it turned out so well, that it looks like we have a Brand New Custom Motorhome. It also turned out cheaper than what we had originally planned on spending. Now our Motorhome doesn't have that Cheap Manufactors look to it any more. One of the best Mods, was the "Dark Lemo Window Tinting" on all of the windows, except for the front windows. It gives you totaly privacy durning the day time, as you can see out, but no one can see in, period. And it really helps to block the sun and the heat. Just go for it. Almost anything is an improvement over OEM. Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Curtains vs. cornices
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS