Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Rockwood Roo Heated Mattress

Posted By: Alec M on 09/24/10 07:58am

Hello, I am new to the forum. I recently purchased a 2006 Rockwood Roo 23SS. My kids plugged in on of the heated mattress cords and after about 5 minutes the light on the dial went out and it quit heating. Has anyone had a problem with these and is there a fix or just spend $40.00 and get a new one. The oulet is fine as the other cord works fine.

Posted By: dadmomh on 09/24/10 08:25am

Have never had that problem with our '07. Are you sure it stopped heating?? - it takes some time to get to the temp you've set. Not like a heating pad. Suggest you try it again - keeping a close watch on it - and allow at least a couple of hours. Could be nothing more than the light bulb and you may be able to open the case and replace that assuming the heater really is still working. Guess the question about whether it's worth spending the $40 to replace depends on how much you use it, the weather you camp in, etc. If ours went out, we probably would replace it.

Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Posted By: skipnchar on 09/24/10 08:59am

No problems with ours either and we really like it for winter time camping.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

Posted By: Mr.Beebo on 09/24/10 09:44am

I have found that they do take some time to heat up. What may feel right at 10 p.m. twenty minutes after you turn it on may well be roasting you at 2 a.m. If your not feeling it get hot, move to another outlet or take it into the house and recheck it there.

2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Silverado 2500 6.0

Posted By: wmoses on 09/24/10 01:47pm

Not really meaning to thread-jack but are these heated mats worth it in the first place? How much do they cost and where would I get them for my Jayco? Did a quick Google and could not come up with the price or where to buy it.

Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Posted By: bikendan on 09/24/10 01:54pm

wmoses wrote:

Not really meaning to thread-jack but are these heated mats worth it in the first place? How much do they cost and where would I get them for my Jayco? Did a quick Google and could not come up with the price or where to buy it.

i wouldn't of thought they were worth it but our Roo already had them when we bought it. i probably wouldn't have ordered them since we rarely have electric hookups.

but have used them and they are awesome. so glad we have them for the rare times we have hookups.
they take a long time to heat up but they are great when you're using sheets on the mattress.
the Roo heated mattress has the coils in the pillow top of the mattress. it's not an added pad, like others have bought from places like Walmart.

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Posted By: Chuck_S on 09/24/10 02:02pm

The light should be On all the time the mattress is heating. Determine if this is just the light or if the whole control is non-operational. Could easily be just the light. Forest River is sure to have replacement controllers. These are probably fused inside the controller, I've not had a need to take one apart. Fuses are easy to replace.

As for "Worth it?" Like many others I was convinced these were fluff as we camped fine without them in our popup for several seasons. Turns out they're wonderful! Make sleeping during those nights in the 40°F range comfortable. They can roast you out of your sleeping bag in those temperatures too if set too high. I fire mine up a couple of hours before bed time and craw into a nice warm bed.

These are part of the Roo mattresses, not separate devices. We enjoyed this type of sleeping so much I bought a heated mattress pad (not blanket) at the department store a couple of years ago for use at home and cut the blanket weight in half.

Not sure what you're googling, but "heated mattress pad" produced 37,000 hits in 0.39 seconds. [emoticon] Pretty sure I got the one for the bed at home from JC Penney for under $100. King-size, dual heat controls.

For camping be aware these are 110vAC units, not 12v. Still need those good sleeping bags for dry camping.

-- Chuck

'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

Posted By: wmoses on 09/24/10 04:35pm

Chuck_S wrote:

As for "Worth it?" Like many others I was convinced these were fluff as we camped fine without them in our popup for several seasons. Turns out they're wonderful! Make sleeping during those nights in the 40°F range comfortable. They can roast you out of your sleeping bag in those temperatures too if set too high. I fire mine up a couple of hours before bed time and craw into a nice warm bed.
Not sure what you're googling, but "heated mattress pad" produced 37,000 hits in 0.39 seconds. [emoticon] Pretty sure I got the one for the bed at home from JC Penney for under $100. King-size, dual heat controls....
-- Chuck

The search words I was using was jayco heated bed mattress +buy and that too came up with "About 9,820 results (0.48 seconds)".

Initial investigation through the first 3 pages shows that this might be 9820 garbage hits, and which I did not have the fullness of time to pursue all hits ... [emoticon]

I don't want a heated pad or heated blanket.

Posted By: LG_09Roo23SS_RG on 09/24/10 05:23pm

Someone asked: Not really meaning to thread-jack but are these heated mats worth it in the first place?

They are NOT a pad per se, they are part of the original coil spring mattress that Forest River uses.

We had these (innerspring, heated- not a pad) with our Forest River Flagstaff folddown with good use for many years and now with the Forest River Rockwood Roo.

The only difference between the heated coil mattresses in the folddown versus the ones in the hybrid are the ones in folddown did not have to bend for the take down of bed as the hybrid does. And the need then to snap the mattress belts and get the bar in properly, where as with folddown, it justs push the button and the roof went down on mattress and linens and all.

2009 Rockwood Roo 23SS
57 years camping in total including tent time
26 of those with trailer/camper of some kind

Posted By: mister_d on 09/24/10 08:33pm

When we sold our Roo, those mattresses were on the top of the list of things my wife will miss most.

"Cindy L. Dahm" is the person to contact for parts. Those can't really cost $40 right?

Our Adventures
Me '77 DW '78
DD '04 DS '07
Yellowstone + more Trip Report
2011 F150 4x4 Ecoboost 6.5 SCREW 3.73 Max Tow
2011 Lacrosse 296BHS video tour
Hensley Arrow

Posted By: Tinbangertom on 09/25/10 08:09am

We loved ours when we had our coyote, did you check your breaker?

"> Tom
"> Laura
"> Boomer
"> Teddy Bear

Posted By: Chuck_S on 09/25/10 10:00am

Wmoses --

To my knowledge Jayco hybrid mattresses do not have a heated option as your search showed.

You may now "want" a mattress pad but it seems they are the only way to get this feature.

Find someone locally with a Roo or Shamrock and see if their mattress will fit. Cost ya at most a six-pack if you were local. Not for the mattress, but to see if it fits! [emoticon]

-- Chuck

Posted By: wmoses on 09/25/10 10:19pm

Chuck_S wrote:

Wmoses --

To my knowledge Jayco hybrid mattresses do not have a heated option as your search showed.

You may now "want" a mattress pad but it seems they are the only way to get this feature.

Find someone locally with a Roo or Shamrock and see if their mattress will fit. Cost ya at most a six-pack if you were local. Not for the mattress, but to see if it fits! [emoticon]

-- Chuck

If you were local I would take you up on it. [emoticon]

The brochure for my RV's model family - Jay Feather -- says that heated mats are an option on the EXP models so maybe calling Jayco direct may be the best option other than getting a mattress pad.

Posted By: tbirds255 on 09/26/10 12:49pm

I have never dealt with these before, but I am assuming you have two for the HTT (one for each bed), so why dont you take the controller from the other bed and see if it works on the broken one, and visa versa. I am not even sure if they are movable, but assuming they are, then you could narrow it down if it's the controller, or the bed, or possibly the outlet you are using.

2005 Ford F-250 Power Stroke Diesel
Crew Cab FX4
1978 Avion 30P (9.1 meter)

Posted By: Chuck_S on 09/26/10 01:40pm

Quote:

The outlet is fine as the other cord works fine.

Posted By: Alec M on 09/27/10 05:44am

Thanks for all your responses. As stated in my original post, the other cord worked fine and the outlet was good. I just wanted to see if anyone else had one go bad and if there was a simple fix. I replaced it for $40.00 and yes these do work awesome. It was in the upper 40`s this past weekend and we were all toasty warm with these.

Posted By: Chuck_S on 09/27/10 07:11am

Did you crack the case and look inside? I remain curious if there's a fuse in there or something else easily repairable.

-- Chuck

Posted By: Alec M on 09/27/10 08:04am

There is a fuse inside that is soldered in. It did not look like the fuse was blown. I even took it to radio shack and a couple other places looking for a compatable fuse. I could not find a matching fuse and everyone else thought the fuse looked good too. I took the working one about and was unable to any sort of problem. In the end it wasn`t worth any more hassle or time, so I decided to just buy a new one.

Posted By: Alec M on 09/27/10 08:07am

There is a fuse inside that is soldered in. It did not look like the fuse was blown. I even took it to radio shack and a couple other places looking for a compatable fuse. I could not find a matching fuse and everyone else thought the fuse looked good too. I took the working one apart and was unable to see any sort of problem. In the end it wasn`t worth any more hassle or time, so I decided to just buy a new one.

I guess I should have proof read before I posted.

Posted By: JGRVING on 09/27/10 10:29am

wmoses....the heated pads are an "option" on the Jayco's...we opted not to buy the ones they offer because, although nice, they seemed a little bulky and didn't want to deal with taking them on and off and having to store them, etc...so we bought our own pads from Wal-Mart at 1/2 the price of the Jayco pads...they are very nice and stay on the mattresses year round...well worth the $$ to us, especially since we camped in 18 degree weather last winter...we were snug as a bug with our heated mattresses....we like them so much we also bought one for home mattress.

JENNIFER AND DUANE
BUFORD, GA
'10 STARCRAFT TRAVELSTAR 217RBSS
2002 GMC 2500 HD 6.0 4x4 4.10
SO MANY PLACES, SO LITTLE TIME

Posted By: wmoses on 09/27/10 11:42am

JGRVING wrote:

wmoses....the heated pads are an "option" on the Jayco's...we opted not to buy the ones they offer because, although nice, they seemed a little bulky and didn't want to deal with taking them on and off and having to store them, etc...so we bought our own pads from Wal-Mart at 1/2 the price of the Jayco pads...they are very nice and stay on the mattresses year round...well worth the $$ to us, especially since we camped in 18 degree weather last winter...we were snug as a bug with our heated mattresses....we like them so much we also bought one for home mattress.

jgrving -- thanks for the response. Although I started out not wanting a heated pad, you post is starting to sway me in that direction especially when you mention bulk and cost. [emoticon]

Do you remember the make and model number? Don't go to any extra trouble to find out .... just wondering.

Posted By: JGRVING on 09/27/10 01:58pm

Wayne, if you go to walmart.com and search "Sunbeam Waterproof Heated Mattress Pad" it only shows one and that's the one I got...unfortunately, Walmart is showing not having the queen in stock...they did when I purchased..maybe you can find the same one somewhere else...they are very soft and comfortable...this one isn't available in Walmart stores(I ordered online) but they do have other ones in the stores but they weren't as quality to me, but were less expensive...maybe WalMart will get the Queen in stock soon..if not, you can probably find one elsewhere..and of course, the "waterproof" isn't necessary, just happened to be what I purchased...good luck.

* This post was edited 09/27/10 02:07pm by JGRVING *

Posted By: Jayco25E on 09/27/10 02:41pm

Our Jayco has the heated mattresses. I remeber the first time I used them. I turned them up becasue I didn't think they where working and then woke up in the middle of the night after my back felt like it was on fire. Never do that again. I learned to turn them on a few hours before we go to bed.

2008 Chevy Avalanche
2005 Jayco 25E HTT
1 kid (but always end up with a full camper)
2 retired Greyhounds

Posted By: wmoses on 09/27/10 09:07pm

When I made this suggestion to my wife she voiced her surprise at my interest since we both like cool beds when we get in with a nice comforter over top. It warms up during the night due to body heat.

I sleep in my underwear so before I buy something like this it would make more sense for me to try pyjamas first when the weather becomes cool enough. We don't normally camp in winter, but with this RV, who knows ....

Posted By: Chuck_S on 09/28/10 07:16am

Hybrid and popup beds are exposed to outdoor temperatures underneath and unless there's enough insulation in the form of mattress thickness you get cold from the bottom despite lots of blankets on top. Heated mattress eliminates this effect.

Our Coleman Bayside mattresses were much thicker than our Roo's so I appreciate the ability to add some heat to the Roo beds if needed.

-- Chuck

Posted By: dwhuber on 09/30/10 06:18pm

FWIW, when we added 4" memory foam on top of our mattress, we found we didn't need the heated feature anymore. Foam is a great insulator.

Posted By: Steveo35 on 10/02/10 08:13am

We have them in our 2010 Roo and are not really fond of them. The heat is in the center of our mattress, leaving the edges and our feet cold. We are getting an electric blanket to replace them.

The mattresses are lumpy too. We ditched ours and use air mattress instead. Much easier to setup without those mattresses there!

Print  |  Close