RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Best Class C for towing under $5000....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Best Class C for towing under $5000....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
JiXer_SD

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/10 12:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking for a really cheap old motor home to use a few weekends a year to tow my race car to the track and, obviously, camp out in it.
I'm sue there isn't one clear cut answer to this, so I am looking for opinions from those that know about the following:
1. Engine & Drive-train reliability
2. Fuel mileage
3. Engine Power
4. Diesel vs. Gas
5. Overall reliability, Ford vs. Chevy vs. dodge based vehicles.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.
J.

jetenbu

Southeast Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/10 12:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JiXer_SD wrote:

I am looking for a really cheap old motor home to use a few weekends a year to tow my race car to the track and, obviously, camp out in it.
I'm sue there isn't one clear cut answer to this, so I am looking for opinions from those that know about the following:
1. Engine & Drive-train reliability
2. Fuel mileage
3. Engine Power
4. Diesel vs. Gas
5. Overall reliability, Ford vs. Chevy vs. dodge based vehicles.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.
J.

I would suggest looking at www.pplmotorhomes.com for used vehicles. Diesel will have the best towing capability in my opinion. Also the best fuel mileage, engine power and reliability. I would look for a unit with a cummins 5.9B engine like I have. The 5.9B engine can be boosted up with a few dollars and the right know how.

Jim

RV: 2012 Montana 3625RE Quad Slide SKP#108921
TV: 2004.5 Dodge Dually 3500 HD
Favorite Quote: ''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it's even tougher if you're stupid.''-- John Wayne

Warning: THIS RIG PROTECTED BY SMITH AND WESSON!

U.S. Navy Vietnam Vet 1967-1968

JiXer_SD

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/10 12:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any idea what makers of base vehicle manufacturers used that motor?
I have heard good things about it in the pick-up world also, but I believe it was a Dodge only thing?
Going to check out www.pplmotorhomes.com right now....

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/10 04:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford has dominated the class C market for at least the past 20 years. There are very few Ford diesels. And it's my under standing that because of the small area in the engine compartment none of the diesels have the inter cooler.

Dusty

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/10 05:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm guessing you are going to tow your race car on a trailer?

If so, you need to weigh up that combination first and base your search for an RV on "what it is rated to tow", and "engine size/type".

Don't know how far you travel for your sporting event but a tired, underated RV is not going to be much fun driving and/or last pulling a heavy trailer and car.

Some people here do tow their vehicle behind on a trailer BUT that combo does weigh quite a bit. AND they usually are towing that set up with a big diesel pusher MH.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

weathershak

Not sure, I need to look out the window

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/10 07:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not many options for something reliable for $5000.00. Are you using a truck to tow it now? Get a slide in truck camper.

Full timing it since July 2012

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/10 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

weathershak wrote:

Not many options for something reliable for $5000.00. Are you using a truck to tow it now? Get a slide in truck camper.

X2. For that price, you're almost surely going to be looking at a pre-FI 3-speed Dodge with a 440 or maybe a Ford with a 460, probably with water rot & other problems. If your present tow vehicle has the capacity, a reasonably good slide-in would come closer to your budget and take less fixin'.

Jim, "What's the difference between broccoli and boogers? A kid will eat boogers!"

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

RoMad

lecanto florida

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/10 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 93 Coachman 28 foot class C on a Ford chassis with a 460 engine.I think something in that range might be in your price bracket. If you are looking for power for pulling it will fit the bill. The 460 is a powerful engine. I rented a towable concrete mixer built on a double axle trailer with 1 yard of concrete in it. My motorhome pulled it easily. I have also towed my 20' boat, my tacoma, my jeep wrangler, and various other things in the last 10 years with it.
As for gas mileage, if you keep it around 60-62mph it gets 9.5mpg towing a small vehicle or 1000lb. trailer loaded with kayaks
If you are handy you should be able to find one with ugly delaminating sides and fairly low miles in your price range.
I would be suprized if you can find anything with a diesel in the price range you suggested.
By the way, this is my first post to this forum.

Hokie_Camper

Blacksburg

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/10 07:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$5000 is rough. Finding what you are looking for would be the needle in the haystack that many of us seek. Now don't get me wrong, since you work on race cars I'll guess you have some mechanical ability. If so, that helps a lot on the drivetrain part of the RV. The problem as others have said is on the house part as water seems to be a huge problem. If you can go up to about $10k there seem to be some decent units available if you search hard. But again, you really need to make sure that don't have water damage.

FYI, I found this last week and if I had the time and it didn't have water damage, I'd go look at it. Now I know you're on the west coast and it's not worth it for you to come out east to see, but this should give you an idea of what's available for under $5k.

1989 28' Class C

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/25/10 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A short Class C (less rear overhang, little to no frame extension) on Ford with a 460 and C6 transmission. Diesel'll be hard to find. Bryan will probably comment on frame extension, but essentially Ford came up with frame extension specs that should assure OEM strength after extension. The problem is that earlier coaches may have been stretched before the spec was widely adopted.
My understanding is the E-Series offers only 158" and 176" wheelbases, so any WB greater than 176" is surely extended. Builders seem to buy only 158" and then extend to what they want. Ours, for example is 158" on the Ford label and 218" from Jayco. A full five feet of WB extension, then the overhang was also extended. Our first coach was 158/158 with several feet of overhang extension. The 2002 chassis looks professionally done; the 1983 chassis looked guess-and-by-gosh. It also had a welded hitch, and bolted is the way it should be done.

Recently met a camper who found a 26' 1980s vintage Class C in an orange grove. After cleanup, all the original stuff is there and it's looking good. $3000 and it had new tires! They're out there...

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Best Class C for towing under $5000....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS