|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Going to Palm Springs best way 138 or 210 off I-5

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
olddesertrider

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/10 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One added perspective to look at this route is from a truckers viewpoint coming or going from Texas, New Mexico, Arizona to Northern Califonia and the Pacific Northwest. The Sierra Nevadas, the Rocky Mountains and especially the Colorado River are huge impediments to long hauling in this region of the country. The corridor of best routing is actually thru Southern California and the So Cal freeway system is almost as much of an impediment as the others listed above. So any alternative routes are being used by the truckers and avoiding L.A. freeways is becoming more imperative for them.

olddesertrider

olddesertrider

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/10 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hotpepperkid wrote:

While it may be only a few miles difference its a big time difference.

hpk

Even using the route with Hwy 18 thru northern Apple Valley would be a lot less time consuming than traveling I-210 thru Pasadena, Arcadia, Monrovia, Duarte and La Verne on any east bound afternoon commute. That time time of day will add 1-2 hours plus on the 210 vs a few(15 or so) minutes added for the 18 Apple Valley route. I've traveled frequently on all the routes mentioned in this thread at all hours of the day. There are some truckers who prefer the 18 route thru Apple Valley.

olddesertrider

hotpepperkid

Chino Hills CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/10 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RE_Todd wrote:

The 58 to 395 is a great choice. I tke 395 south to AirBase Road in Adelanto and hang left. I take that to the T intersection at the end and go right on National Trails Highway. A couple of miles down the road you can grab the I-15 south and miss a lot of traffic lights.

Another option is stay on National Trails (Highway 18) through Apple Valley, then link up with the 247 in Lucerne Valley. This will take you to the 62 in Yucca Valley, then down the hill into Palm Springs.

WOW talk about the long way around.

hpk

2000 Ford F-350 SRW 4X4 PSD Jayco Super Lite 29.5RKS (31') 5th wheel 50 gal X-ferflow in the bed tank. Banks big exhaust and Stinger kit.

hotpepperkid

Chino Hills CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/10 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

olddesertrider wrote:

hotpepperkid wrote:

RE_Todd wrote:

The 58 to 395 is a great choice. I tke 395 south to AirBase Road in Adelanto and hang left. I take that to the T intersection at the end and go right on National Trails Highway. A couple of miles down the road you can grab the I-15 south and miss a lot of traffic lights.

Another option is stay on National Trails (Highway 18) through Apple Valley, then link up with the 247 in Lucerne Valley. This will take you to the 62 in Yucca Valley, then down the hill into Palm Springs.

hpk

It's not the "long way around". According to MS Streets & Trips HWY 18 thru Apple Valley only adds 6 more miles to Palm Springs vs. the 58/395/I-15/I-215/I-10 route. The problem with 18 is it has numerous traffic signals as it traverses northern Apple Valley along with heavy traffic midday until evening.

Another alternative with fewer traffic stops would be to continue east on HWY 58 to I-15 north a short distance then south on SR247 to SR62 south to Palm Springs. That route would add 28 miles over the I-5/I-210/I-10 route. And there is very little traffic on 247/62 but it is 2 lane highway. Bulk carry big rigs use it occasionally from the cement quarries so it is good road all the way.

To recap additional miles over I-5/I-210/I-10 L.A. freeway route

58/395/15/215/10 - 16 extra miles

58/395/18/247/62/10 - 22 extra miles

58/I-15/247/62/10 - 28 extra miles

These are the alternatives to bypass L.A. traffic when heading to the southwest deserts or the northwest coast and are virtually always passable year round. Just ask the truckers using them.

olddesertrider

While it may be only a few miles difference its a big time difference.

hpk

RE_Todd

Roswell NM, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/10 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
3i9.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2009 Eclipse Attitude F37 AKS, it's still not white!!
08 F350, $X$, CC, dually.

olddesertrider

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/10 01:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hotpepperkid wrote:

RE_Todd wrote:

hpk

It's not the "long way around". According to MS Streets & Trips HWY 18 thru Apple Valley only adds 6 more miles to Palm Springs vs. the 58/395/I-15/I-215/I-10 route. The problem with 18 is it has numerous traffic signals as it traverses northern Apple Valley along with heavy traffic midday until evening.

Another alternative with fewer traffic stops would be to continue east on HWY 58 to I-15 north a short distance then south on SR247 to SR62 south to Palm Springs. That route would add 28 miles over the I-5/I-210/I-10 route. And there is very little traffic on 247/62 but it is 2 lane highway. Bulk carry big rigs use it occasionally from the cement quarries so it is good road all the way.

To recap additional miles over I-5/I-210/I-10 L.A. freeway route

58/395/15/215/10 - 16 extra miles

58/395/18/247/62/10 - 22 extra miles

58/I-15/247/62/10 - 28 extra miles

These are the alternatives to bypass L.A. traffic when heading to the southwest deserts or the northwest coast and are virtually always passable year round. Just ask the truckers using them.

olddesertrider

* This post was edited 10/01/10 01:55am by olddesertrider *

c.traveler2

Moreno Valley,Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/10 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the caltrans site for unexpected closers at the 210 and 215 interstate, I go by that interchange almost everyday and this last friday they had the 210 east bound closed at the 215.

2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/LB/camper pkg..Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports

chockwald

Ontario, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/10 01:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your'e coming down I-5 just jump on the 210 all the way to I-10 eastbound to Palm Springs. 138 is a 2 lane road, considered by some to be dangerous. If you are coming down I-15 just take 210 eastbound to I-10. Avoid I-5 and I-210 at rush hour (starts at 2:30pm to 6pm).

CLARKE AND ELAINE

1982 Newell 36' diesel pusher

olddesertrider

SoCal

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/10 04:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are traveling south on I-5 or US 99 use Hwy 58 east at Bakersfield to 395 south to I-15 south to I-215 south to I-10 east. This route is only 16 miles farther than using I-210 thru L.A.. It is all open highway except for a few traffic signals on 395 just before I-15. If you use this route you will notice a lot of truckers utilizing it to avoid going thru L.A. freeway traffic when they don't have stops there. It will save time even on Sundays as some of the L.A. freeways are just as congested on weekends as during the week nowadays due to shopping and entertainment venue traffic. And since the state is broke with no new freeway improvements traffic will only move towards third world status in the coming years.

olddesertrider

tres vagabonds

So Cal

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/10 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

olddesertrider wrote:

If you are traveling south on I-5 or US 99 use Hwy 58 east at Bakersfield to 395 south to I-15 south to I-215 south to I-10 east. This route is only 16 miles farther than using I-210 thru L.A.. It is all open highway except for a few traffic signals on 395 just before I-15. If you use this route you will notice a lot of truckers utilizing it to avoid going thru L.A. freeway traffic when they don't have stops there. It will save time even on Sundays as some of the L.A. freeways are just as congested on weekends as during the week nowadays due to shopping and entertainment venue traffic. And since the state is broke with no new freeway improvements traffic will only move towards third world status in the coming years.

olddesertrider

+1

why bother with the traffic in the LA area, going this way you miss it all

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Going to Palm Springs best way 138 or 210 off I-5
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts