|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Onan Generator Starter Relay

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
sigtauenus

Virginia Beach, VA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/10 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The generator started fine 3 weeks ago and I just got it out of storage for a trip we are taking Thursday and it won't start. I took the cover off, tried starting it at the generator, and I get a clicking sound. Used a voltage tester and have 13+ volts on the supply side (MH is on shore power right now) and no voltage on the output side of the relay.

It has a stud post on either side and two AWG type connectors.

Does anybody know the part number of the Onan microquiet 4k generator? I'd need to pick one up at a local auto parts store or order online tonight/tomorrow morning with next day shipping.

TIA,
Sam

Post moved from DIY Forum to Tech Issues Forum

Moderator - DIY Forum

* This post was edited 10/05/10 02:57pm by an administrator/moderator *

1997 29' Tioga V10

Beltone Magoo

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/10 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would bet that just about any 12 volt solenoid will work. The only problem I see is that the Onan unit you show has spade type terminals on it instead of a screw post. The worst you will have to do is make a short jumper from spade to ring tongue adapter. If you go that route, be careful to make sure that the solenoid had four terminals on it. Some of them are made with only one connection for the 12 volt coil and the case is the ground connection.
Good luck, safe travels and happy camping!

Doug & Connie
2001 Holiday Rambler Imperial
2001 Subaru Forester toad

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/10 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are on shore power, is there any chance your battery is disconnected? The converter may not have enough current to spin the starter.

Before you spend too much time looking, jump across the relay and see if the starter will spin.

kg5388

on the long road of life

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/10 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

looks like a KY model the model number is important to tell you what you have.

you do not have 12vdc on the output side when you try to start it?

NO you CAN'T use a solenoid from the auto parts store Onan uses a neg signal to trigger the solenoid most auto solenoid use B+ to trip the solenoid

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/10 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kg5388 wrote:

NO you CAN'T use a solenoid from the auto parts store Onan uses a neg signal to trigger the solenoid most auto solenoid use B+ to trip the solenoid

A four terminal Ford style solenoid can be connected either way.

Dutch
1995 Coachmen Catalina 322QBXL
F53 chassis, 460 V8, TST TPMS
Quadra Bigfoot EZE Levelers
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/10 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kg5388 wrote:

Dutch_12078 wrote:

kg5388 wrote:

yeah but how many basic DIY'ers know how to do that?

who's going to buy the replacements parts if they burn something up by doing it wrong or if it catches of fire while they are sleeping?
will insurance pay if you put the wrong parts on the rv?

Any basic DIY'er that knows enough to hook the wires to the same terminals on the new solenoid that he took them off of on the old solenoid. Onan does not make starter solenoids, they buy a relabeled off the shelf part. It's not rocket science, any more than the Carter marine transfer pump is, that I installed on my 7000 at 1/3 the price of the Onan labeled identical pump. From the OP's photo, the solenoid appears to be very similar to one that Briggs & Stratton often uses, complete with the spade terminals. It sells for around $10.

Dutch

gunny357

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/10 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K5OIT wrote:

I would bet that just about any 12 volt solenoid will work. The only problem I see is that the Onan unit you show has spade type terminals on it instead of a screw post. The worst you will have to do is make a short jumper from spade to ring tongue adapter. If you go that route, be careful to make sure that the solenoid had four terminals on it. Some of them are made with only one connection for the 12 volt coil and the case is the ground connection.
Good luck, safe travels and happy camping!

It is NOT the same.

I'm going to bet that if someone follows your advice and ruins his control board, you won't stand up and help him pay for a new one.

Know what you are talking about before passing on advice!

kg5388

on the long road of life

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/10 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

Any basic DIY'er that knows enough to hook the wires to the same terminals on the new solenoid that he took them off of on the old solenoid. Onan does not make starter solenoids, they buy a relabeled off the shelf part. It's not rocket science, any more than the Carter marine transfer pump is, that I installed on my 7000 at 1/3 the price of the Onan labeled identical pump. From the OP's photo, the solenoid appears to be very similar to one that Briggs & Stratton often uses, complete with the spade terminals. It sells for around $10.

Dutch

a fuel pump as long as it is in the correct pressure range and voltage will work provided the amp draw does not exceed the relay or control rating. If it exceeds the amp rating then it becomes a problem.
also lift height and fuel line lenghth must be taken in consideration that is becoming a problem with the trend of putting the genset on top of the horse trailers and the tank in the bottom.

some solenoids Onan use (repackaged from or by the supplier) are jumpered internally from the B+ terminal to the coil BUT most basic ford or brigs and stratton coils are jumpered internally from the mounting bracket (neg ground) to the coil

so if i connect the wires to the same terminals and the new solenoid is incorrect it can send B+ voltage where it doesn't need to be and burn up other parts

connect an internally grounded solenoid to the mounting bracket using a neg (ground) trigger signal from the control and quess what nothing will happen except you now have a part that was installed and is not returnable

I agree there are cheaper non onan parts out there that will work just as good or better but without the technical knowledge of how it works and how to install it sometimes can cause more problems than it will fix

I will recommend a flight system's control or regulator before one from onan and there are fuel pumps that will fit onan gensets without a problem

with some parts it's easier to have a DIY'er order the correct part and install it correctly the first time rather than monkey around getting frustrated making the wrong part work

We kinda hijacked his thread but back to the orginal question we can't help with solenoid selection without the model number

sigtauenus

Virginia Beach, VA

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/10 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turns out the battery was bad. I just bought the battery 3 months ago. Autozone tested it and it went from 12V to 0 as soon as they put a load on it. Brought home another battery and the generator fired right up.

The intelli-power converter is putting out 13.6 - 13.3V so I don't understand why the battery would have gone bad in 3 months.

Its a heavy duty commercial battery, part number 31-950. Do I have the wrong battery?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Duralast-12-Volts-950-CA-threaded-post-heavy-duty-industrial-battery/_/N-4b8r?itemIdentifier=97512_0_0_

If that is not the right battery, what should I get?

kg5388

on the long road of life

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/10 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

kg5388 wrote:

yeah but how many basic DIY'ers know how to do that?

who's going to buy the replacements parts if they burn something up by doing it wrong or if it catches of fire while they are sleeping?
will insurance pay if you put the wrong parts on the rv?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Onan Generator Starter Relay
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS