Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Benz Diesel?

Posted By: paulcardoza on 10/05/10 11:41am

Local dealer has a striking Dynamax GrandSport with a 450hp Mercedes Benz engine. There's so much banter in here about Cummings/Cats, but little about Benz. Does anyone have any opinions on these motors? Is the cost of mainenance any different? Easy to find a service shop? Common problems shortcomings, etc?

Paul & Sandra
New Bedford, MA
2014 Heartland Cyclone 4100 King

Posted By: midnightsadie on 10/05/10 11:49am

I love mine BUT its only a 5 cyc . you don;t here about them because they don;t break down . as much as others . get on a truckers site and ask them.

Posted By: turninghawk on 10/05/10 11:58am

No need to even compare a Mercedes diesel to a Cat or Cummins.

Mercedes wrote the book on diesels.

You don't hear about them because they're pretty much bulletproof!

Posted By: SooperDaddy on 10/05/10 12:03pm

To give you some idea about the Diesel Mercedes Heavy Duty engines...they are affiliated with Detroit Diesel. Service and parts are available at all 800 Detroit Diesel/Mercedes Engine dealers.

The MB 4000 series diesels are more and more common in big rigs and are generally lighter than other brands, get better fuel mileage and the best low end torque in their class.

And Fire Departments are starting to choose them as optional engines on new trucks due to the quality and reliability, best power to weight ratings in their class, best acceration and lowest maintenance costs they have established.

They say the Mercedes series diesel heavy duty engines have built their reputation on the road and not in the repair shops!

They are common enough that most suppliers and Detroit Diesel repair/maintainance shops have training and parts at costs that are competitive to Cummins and Caterpillar prices.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Posted By: SWD on 10/05/10 11:51am

I believe that the Dodge/Chrysler Sprinter has a Merc engine. Have heard nothing really bad about them, however the transmissions that are usually used in combination with them have had some issues. These are replaced and not fixed. Lots of European parts to contend with, might be a long wait to get fixed.

Posted By: paulcardoza on 10/05/10 12:43pm

Many thanks for the great response. Now I need to get DW to go see it!!!! ;-)

fordsooperdooty wrote:

To give you some idea about the Diesel Mercedes Heavy Duty engines...they are affiliated with Detroit Diesel. Service and parts are available at all 800 Detroit Diesel/Mercedes Engine dealers.

The MB 4000 series diesels are more and more common in big rigs and are generally lighter than other brands, get better fuel mileage and the best low end torque in their class.

And Fire Departments are starting to choose them as optional engines on new trucks due to the quality and reliability, best power to weight ratings in their class, best acceration and lowest maintenance costs they have established.

They say the Mercedes series diesel heavy duty engines have built their reputation on the road and not in the repair shops!

They are common enough that most suppliers and Detroit Diesel repair/maintainance shops have training and parts at costs that are competitive to Cummins and Caterpillar prices.

Posted By: wallynm on 10/05/10 01:49pm

Hate to be negative but a few of years ago they failed to pass the EPA emissions test and Freightliner had to take some back and replace the engine with a Cummins. At a FCOC rally in Washington a few years ago we saw a Tiffin product being driven by a FTL rep that rumor had it was repurchased from Tiffin so they could change out the engine.

So not know status of of today.

What are they using to meet the lasted emission standards UREA or REGEN?

paulcardoza wrote:

Local dealer has a striking Dynamax GrandSport with a 450hp Mercedes Benz engine. There's so much banter in here about Cummings/Cats, but little about Benz. Does anyone have any opinions on these motors? Is the cost of mainenance any different? Easy to find a service shop? Common problems shortcomings, etc?

DONATE THAT OLD CELL PHONE TO SUPPORT SOLDIERS click here

Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner Yahoo Group or FCOC Web Page

2002 DSDP 3567 PUSHED BY KITTY KAT

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

Posted By: cptdav on 10/05/10 06:37pm

I have the MBE 926 330 with 1000 ft # of torq. It has served me very well and now have near 30k with no problems.

2007 Phaeton 36QSH, Titanium Pearl, 330 MBE926
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, Royal Blue, 4X4

Posted By: Two Jayhawks on 10/06/10 06:54am

paulcardoza wrote:

I don't believe there are any class A units using the MB4000 only class 5-8 trucks. From what I have heard it is a super star among other big diesels.

2002 Safari Zanzibar
CAT C12 455/1550
Allison 4000
Saturn Vue w/ReadyBrake
FMCA# 390819

Posted By: Skylark on 10/05/10 07:08pm

I have had no personal experience with MB diesel engines other than test driving one of the large class C with a MB engine and there was an extreme vibration from the drive train. Also have a friend who has three service trucks, well drilling, one with a cat engine, one with a powerstroke, and a sterling with a MB engine. I asked him about the service of each one and he says there is always somthing to do on the MB engine and upkeep was way more than the powerstroke or the cat. sky

Posted By: Tarheel 2 on 10/05/10 03:49pm

Just got home from an 7,000 mile first trip with my 330 Mercedes engine. Traded a motorhome with a 330 Cummins and found that the Mercedes pulled the western mountains much better than the Cummins did. Also, fuel mileage was better with the Mercedes, almost 2 MPG. I'm sold on the Mercedes!

Tarheel

Posted By: david_42 on 10/05/10 01:29pm

I might add that even though it is a smaller engine than what you are looking at, all of the new UPS trucks are Mercedes. The guy who drives my route says it gets a solid 19 mpg do rural delivery.

Posted By: Buck62 on 10/05/10 01:31pm

fordsooperdooty wrote:

Detroit Diesel, Sprinter and Freightliner are all owned by Daimler Trucks North America which is the MB parent company and since these engines are now captive you will start seeing more of these MB engines in motorhomes. This makes good sense to use to a company to use products rather than use another brand. In the Trucking industry it is a little different since owner/operators and fleets will spec. out their engine of choice and are willing to pay a premium over a captive engine when they order class 8 trucks. The exception to this is Mack Trucks, you want the bulldog, you get a Mack diesel. Now that Navistar has purchased Monaco you will start seeing their RV products with Maxxforce engines. Why purchase outside your company when you can build it all yourself and keep all the profit. MB and Navistar has considerable experience in automotive diesels. MB in their own cars and Navistar with Ford pick up trucks. I think only time will tell before we know if these heavy duty diesels can go the 500,000 - 1,000,000 miles expectation before a major rebuild as expected from a Cummins or CAT.

Posted By: wolfman01 on 10/05/10 06:17pm

Count me as another up vote on the MB diesels. They perfected the high speed diesel engine for on highway use. If you see an old Mercedes sedan still on the road, it is an almost sure bet that it'll have the "D" moniker on the boot lid. If I ever do get back into a diesel pusher, and it has a MB engine in the back, I'd bite in a heartbeat.

2011 Hyundai Accent SE (8k)
1996 Tiffin Allegro Bay 31' ga$$er motorhome (42k)
Bear, my four legged, furry companion.
RVing is an obsession more expensive than drugs.

Print  |  Close