RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Old Dodge 16.5 wheels upgrade?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Old Dodge 16.5 wheels upgrade?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Chicknnhead

O'Fallon, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/10 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So i have a 76 Dodge with 16.5 wheels, currently running 8.75x16.5

I would like to move to either 16's or 17's wheels since 17's now seem to be pretty common, but i'm thinking 16's might be the better of the 2

Has anyone done this wheel change? what year dually wheels fit?
would love to find some chrome take off wheels

what is a direct bolt on dually wheel?

MY RV

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/10 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dodge has been using the same bolt circle for 8-bolt wheels since forever until recently (around '02 or '03). There's a good chance that 16 inch dually wheels made for Ram 3500, early '70s through '90s, will fit. Later wheels (e.g. when the 17" duallies came into play) may be hub-centered and yours probably center on the lugs.

Look for wheels for older Ram 3500, make sure back spacing is the same (or at least correct for the wheel width and tire size) and the wheels mount the same. There should be Dodge 16" dually wheels in wrecking yards.

In this part of the country, I would call Southwest Wheel if I were looking for new wheels and my local tire man can't find something, but usually he comes through for me.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

chinook440

chicago

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/10 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Early 80,s up until 1993 dodge dually rims are what you need (off of the dually pick up chassis). These have the same coined stud holes to properly center the rims on your axles . Early 80,s fords had the same style 16" coined rims as well with the only difference being the small alignment hole to properly clock the rear duals is slightly different which is easy to open up .
I did this swap a few years ago and 225/75/16 size tires are pretty much identical to the old 8.75R16.5

p.s. cool looking rig ..... I,ve been thinking of adding that same hood scoop and airdam & wheel flares to my ole dodge to.

car-part.comis a good site to search junkyards nationwide for what you need. That,s where i found my rims at ..... or search craigslist.

Grillmeister

BBQ TOUR USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/10 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice looking rig, I love that hood scoop

When I swapped out the 8.75 X 16.5 rims and tires on my 1984 Ford Class C E-350. I worked with my local tire dealer, the equivalent metric tire size for me was to switch to a 6” X 16 Ford rim and a 225 / 75 R16 tire. The tire guy ordered two rims (actual Ford OEM new rims) for and two tires. We mounted them up and tired one on the front to make sure the smaller rim had enough clearance on the front brake backing plates and steering wheel well clearance. Then we mounted two up on the rear to check the brake clearance and the space between the dual tires and wheel well. They fit perfect so we went ahead and ordered five more (found a used tire for a spare) and I have been running mine for seven years and it worked out perfect. It certainly gives you a lot more tires to choose from.

Let us know how it works out.

Show me the GRILL and STAND BACK!!!!

Chicknnhead

O'Fallon, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/10 09:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks guys for all your help and compliments

been wanting to do this for a long time, just needed the knowledge

thanks again

Road Fever

WV

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/10 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try stocktonwheel.com. Tell them what you need and maybe they can help. I don't think it would be a cheap option, but they're worth a try. Southwest Wheel stopped selling 16" wheels for Dodge 5 years as told to me in am email reply early this year. Good luck on your search. If you come up with a good source let us know.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Old Dodge 16.5 wheels upgrade?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS