|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing a Miata

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Jim102

Cabot, Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/10 09:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know nothing about towing. We have a Miata, what would it cost to set up my 29 ft. class C to tow it? I want to farm the whole thing out.
I am trying to figure out if it is cheaper in the long run just to rent out a car when we get to the camp site instead to towing a car with us.

Thanks,

Jim

2014 Ford F-150 4X EcoBoost
2015 Roo 21SS

Fishinghat

Western Washington, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/10 09:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Miata is not an ideal tow car due to limited ground clearance. The baseplate has to attach to strong points on the front end, and if RAMCO doesn't make a baseplate you can figure it isn't towable. For both of those reasons, the Jeep, Saturns, and the Honda CRV are the most popular "toads". Several of the Chevrolet SUV and truck products are also towable, but their weight becomes an issue.

Renting would be cheaper, but not easy to do. I don't know of anyone that has intentionally and deliberately rented. All of our friends tow a car.

If you're over 3K lbs, you need a braking system on the toad. If it is under 3K, one is recommended and may be required in your state, but normally not legally required.

Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/10 09:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have seen many post made by RVers towing Miatas.. They all claimed it was a ideal toad. Did a RV.net Miata Search for you. Just click on it. Oh, Ramco does not make baseplates, but they do work closely with Blue Ox, who does. And Blue Ox does make them for the Miata.

I tried renting during a couple trips. Enterprise was a pita. Told me I should not take their car into a campground. To much chance of damage. Had to ride all over town when I returned it just to get back to the campground. And it was not cheap. Only way it is cheap is if you pick it up, and drop it off, at a airport. But not at the local office.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/10 10:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fordsooperdooty wrote:

Per MotorHome Magazine TOAD Guide...NOPE!

Per Remco, the TOAD experts, 1989 thru 2011 Mazda Miata (MX-5) Both Manual & Automatic require a full trailer to tow.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

kjburns

Prescott, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/10 11:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a site about flat towing a Miata. It can be done. The author has towed his Miata 25,000 miles so far.

2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD

ssands

Nerk, Ahia

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/10 04:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kjburns wrote:

Here is a site about flat towing a Miata. It can be done. The author has towed his Miata 25,000 miles so far.

If you contact this guy he can tell you where to buy the base plate. There's a guy in Texas making them for about $110. Easy install. I bought a Reese tow bar for mine and then sold the car. You could probably be ready to go for <$200. Car weighs about 2000 lb so I wouldn't worry about a braking system. Enjoyed the car and wouldn't hesitate to tow it.

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government
results from too much government."

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
--Thomas Jefferson

Steve,Sharyl and Fritz
1999 Winnebago Adventurer 37G
2009 Saturn Vue

peaches&cream

Northwest Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/10 04:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used a 1995 Miata as a toad for 3 years. It is a great toad. Easy to tow and usually a conversation piece at the campgrounds. I use these bracketts http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdfinst/711-2.pdf
, a Roadmaster towbar, and a BrakeBuddy aux. brake system. I have never had a problem with it being low to the ground. If the hitch is too high, use a drop bar to solve the problem. Be sure the car is a straight shift. I have towed it from Ga. to Ca. 2 times and will be going again next mo.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/10 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kjburns wrote:

I see nothing there that indicates that this is an automatic tranny vehicle? another poster sez he has a stick shift.
bumpy

peaches&cream

Northwest Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/10 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

kjburns wrote:

I see nothing there that indicates that this is an automatic tranny vehicle? another poster sez he has a stick shift.
bumpy

Just a reminder. Hate to see someone go to all that trouble and not be able to tow it

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/10 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

peaches&cream wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

kjburns wrote:

bumpy

Just a reminder. Hate to see someone go to all that trouble and not be able to tow it
And I would hate to see someone with a Ford Excape, who everybody says can be towed, go thru all that trouble and fry a transmission like so many have done.

Selecting a toad and setting it up require some research. The OP asked for information and information has been provided. I provided a RV net search with 216 hits on "Miata". After reading thru the thread it has been determined that over a dozen people are towing Miatas. Motorhome magazine does not list all vehicles that can be easly and safely towed, just popular ones, some of which I, and others, would not recommend! And I doubt Remco has checked out all possibilities. The Miata is not that popular of a vehicle except with certain crowds. Mazda probably does not provide information concerning weither or not there vehicles can be towed recreationally. But after enough research, it appears that a Mazada Miata, probably manual transmission, can be towed four down.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing a Miata
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS