RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Hooking up a propane bottle to a class A for the winter.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Hooking up a propane bottle to a class A for the winter.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
kananesgi

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/10 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been living full time in my Class A for almost two years now. I spent last year in Ajo Arizona and didn't have to worry about winterizing. Unfortunately, I have fallen on hard times this year and can't afford to go back to the desert this winter. I am parked in my parents driveway now in Wichita Kansas. I think I have everything figured out for the water system but I am not sure what I am going to do for propane. I would rather not have to drive the coach to refill the propane tank and electric heaters may be too much for the power I am hooked up to.

Is there any way I can hook a 30 pound bottle up to it and then just take the bottle in for refilling?

I have heard of getting propane companys to come out an fill it but, unfortunately, the local company won't deliver less than 100 gallons.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I don't have a lot of experience with the propane system. We have only had it filled one time when we got snowed in on our way to Ajo last year.

Thanks,
Carl

rockylarson

Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/10 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a DIY project and you should be able to find it locally.Extend-A-Stay

2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2003 CRV, Blue Ox Aladdin, Brake Buddy Advantage Select, 300watts solar, 7 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000watt Ames PSW inverter.

M GO BLUE

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/10 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Texan wrote:

Call the local propane company and ask them about setting a 225 gallon tank and hooking it up to your RV. Suburban did this for us and the cost was 0 for the tank and hookup, just the cost of the LP to fill it. They installed a quick disconnect to the RV propane system and all I have to do is shut off the tank and disconnect the line, when I want to move the RV. You also get a much cheaper rate for that than taking the 30# bottle to be filled, 75¢/gal difference in our area.

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 dually CC/LB Duramax/Allison
2008 Jayco Designer 35RLTS fifth wheel
Onan 5500W Marquis Gold gas generator (HGJAB - 1038D)

rgraham

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/10 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would get a 100 lb tank like they used at houses years ago, you may have to get a different hook up hose, are maybe you could lease a 250 gallon tank from a propane dealer, it maybe cheaper to drive that camper to Ajo AZ than all that propane your going to have to deal with, what ever you do good luck to you,,,,,Richard

Richard
1987 ford f250 6.9 diesel
1997 Innsbruck by Gulf Stream 28ft fifth wheel with slide
and the wife and co-pilot Trudy

The Texan

Cascade, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/10 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call the local propane company and ask them about setting a 225 gallon tank and hooking it up to your RV. Suburban did this for us and the cost was 0 for the tank and hookup, just the cost of the LP to fill it. They installed a quick disconnect to the RV propane system and all I have to do is shut off the tank and disconnect the line, when I want to move the RV. You also get a much cheaper rate for that than taking the 30# bottle to be filled, 75¢/gal difference in our area.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/'10 Rzr or '13 Suzuki 500 riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

kananesgi

Kansas

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/10 11:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the quick responses! I checked the company my parents got theirs from before they got the new hous in (all electric) and they sa they can't help me because they "know nothing about motorhomes". I am going to try calling other propane providers. I like the sound of the Extend-A-Stay system. It looks like exactly what I was looking for. I have access to a couple 40 or 50 pound tanks. That would be more than I currently have in the onboard tank. Combine that with one small space heater and I think I will survive the winter without freezing.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/10 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing to consider when tanking the PL tanks to be refilled is propane tanks are supposed to be hauled upright.

Dusty

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/10 03:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just all a local propane supplier. They'll be able to tell you what size tank they recommend and will hook it up for you. They'll also fill it and keep it filled for you after you set up an account with them. Some farm supply stores do the same. We went through a 20# tank last January in Albuquerque overnight. Of course it was 11 degrees and wind was 30 gusting to 40, but you should know about that weather in Kansas. Good luck.

John

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
BlueOx Aventa LX Tow Bar
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

weathershak

Not sure, I need to look out the window

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/10 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgraham wrote:

I would get a 100 lb tank like they used at houses years ago, you may have to get a different hook up hose, are maybe you could lease a 250 gallon tank from a propane dealer, it maybe cheaper to drive that camper to Ajo AZ than all that propane your going to have to deal with, what ever you do good luck to you,,,,,Richard

I am guessing $300.00 to $400.00 a month just in propane cost. A 30lb tank will last you about 2-3 days when temps are in the teens to 20's if you are not using electric heat as backup.

Full timing it since July 2012 My pics

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Hooking up a propane bottle to a class A for the winter.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS