Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: we need a new inverter, DR1512 inverter charger combo?

Posted By: MrWizard on 10/29/10 01:11pm

anybody have one? opinions please

I have a line on one for $300 and may have to buy it my freedom inverter quit and smells like the smoke hasbeen let out although I didn't see any

got to go unwire it and open it up , have to keep the fridge running

* This post was edited 10/30/10 06:38pm by MrWizard *

Options, always have options, and the journey goes much smoother

Connected thru Verizon with HotSpot WiFi using a Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Posted By: pianotuna on 10/29/10 01:19pm

Hi Mr. Wiz,

Sorry about the freedom. I have not used the above but unless space is an issue my belief is that a stand alone converter and a stand alone inverter are a better choice. It is more flexible--and cheaper, too!

Regards, Don
Full Time in a Kustom Koach Class C 28'5", 256 watts Unisolar, 875 amp hours in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 2500 MSW watt inverter.

Posted By: MEXICOWANDERER on 10/29/10 02:15pm

I used to frown and say "Yeah, Freedom, Freedom from operating correctly" If the 1512 is a Trace it is a good unit.

Posted By: MrWizard on 10/29/10 04:24pm

the 1512 info I found on the web
some sites say xantrex trace and some just say trace
the model is discontinued and this unit is used, I have not seen it yet

I agree with discreet components are less hassle, and less expensive

* This post was edited 10/29/10 04:40pm by MrWizard *

Posted By: MEXICOWANDERER on 10/29/10 05:05pm

I would rather have an older pure Trace, I never trusted Xantrex (sounds more like a medicine for stomach acid than anything else), after watching several of their inverters go up in smoke. Too bad they were mine.

Posted By: dougrainer on 10/29/10 06:06pm

The "old" Trace 1512 Inverter Chargers had an OVER charging problem. These were units built from about 1999 to 2003. Since then, they are OK. I would ask to see and be told the DATE code on this unit. If in that 4 years, I would stay away from it. Doug

Posted By: dougrainer on 10/29/10 06:07pm

mexbungalows wrote:

I would rather have an older pure Trace, I never trusted Xantrex (sounds more like a medicine for stomach acid than anything else), after watching several of their inverters go up in smoke. Too bad they were mine.

Xantrex is the result of the merger between Trace and Heart. Doug

Posted By: Gdetrailer on 10/29/10 06:16pm

pianotuna writes "my belief is that a stand alone converter and a stand alone inverter are a better choice. It is more flexible--and cheaper, too!"

I would tend to agree with this thought, although buying separate inverter and converter will require adding in ATS somewhere for auto change over from shore to inverter.

I went with separate inverter and converter figuring it would be better if one or the other decided to let some smoke out.

Perhaps a good time to buy a separate one for your fridge, gives some redundancy in case of future failures.

For around $240 you can get a new Tripplite PV1250 from Amazon which has the load sense control. Much better than buying a unknown used inverter to power a critical load.

Posted By: MrWizard on 10/29/10 06:22pm

yes, I'm looking at the pv1250

Posted By: pianotuna on 10/29/10 06:49pm

Hi Gdetrailer,

No ATS needed. Just put an outlet that is powered by the inverter in the shore power cord box. Have a switch to turn off the converter. 100% manual and impossible to "get it wrong".

Gdetrailer wrote:

I would tend to agree with this thought, although buying separate inverter and converter will require adding in ATS somewhere for auto change over from shore to inverter.
(snip)
For around $240 you can get a new Tripplite PV1250 from Amazon which has the load sense control. Much better than buying a unknown used inverter to power a critical load.

Posted By: BFL13 on 10/29/10 06:53pm

Full timing off grid demands redundancy where possible. I had not thought of the new fridge in that sense before, but there it is--no propane option. This means two inverters or live near a town where you can get a new inverter before the beer gets warm.

I like inverter /chargers for their high amp charger sections. Twice what many converters will provide. However you have to look at redundancy.

You could have an inverter/high amp charger plus a back up inverter, to go with the existing converter, and solar controller. Or you could have two inverters , a converter , and bunch of Vector 1093s., plus solar.

You have a back -up for the gen , which is the MH engine/alternator.

So it is all down to getting the most redundancy for the money for the various scenarios.

2003 Chev 2500HD Gas, 2003 Komfort 26FS 5er
See Profile for Equipment List

Posted By: MrWizard on 10/29/10 11:55pm

charging I have the wfco & solar

for
120v there are (2) generators to choose from

but with out an inverter I need to run a genset to power the fridge
warm beer doesn't melt and drip all over the inside of the fridge like melted ice cream or spoil like meat

* This post was edited 10/30/10 09:58am by MrWizard *

Posted By: MrWizard on 10/30/10 10:10am

temporary quick fix

I went to harbor freight and bought a 1200w 3200 surge

and wired it to the fridge circuit, "no pass thru"

the fridge is cold and things are ok

now I can make a decision about the "best" one for our budget and order it

I'll check the fridge compressor, make sure it's not hot

links to current web sales are welcome

Posted By: BFL13 on 10/30/10 05:55pm

The DR1512 is a 1500w MSW inverter with a 70 amp charger and is declared obsolete. Price of this one is $300

You can get two Vector 1093s ( 80 amps) for $200 and a Vector 1000w MSW inverter for $100 at boatsandrvaccessories.com as an example so I would say that $300 for the DR1512 is too much.

Now as to what would be a good deal, first what is it that you are looking for? an inverter/charger? (if so how many amps charging?) an inverter with pass through? MSW or PSW? How many watts for the inverter?

Around here inverters seem to have half price sales without warning for no apparent reason and then quickly go back to normal pricing. You have to act fast if you want one for half price. For sure if you NEED one right now, it won't be on sale for half price either--when you are having a bad day nothing goes right!

Posted By: MrWizard on 10/30/10 06:36pm

right now I'm looking at inverter only, I'm looking at both msw & pure sine wave
I'm looking at the tripp lite Pv1250 msw $249.99 and the Sunforce 1000w psw $219.99 on Amazon

I really like heavy xfrmr and heavy surge specs of the pv1250, and I like the sale price and PSW of the Sunforce

Posted By: BFL13 on 10/30/10 06:48pm

They sell a Sunforce "1000w" PSW inverter here at Can Tire under their Eliminator brand for about that price. I checked it out and as it says (obscurely) in its user's manual, it has two 120v receptacles but each one can only handle 500W. I emailed Sunforce to confirm and they did, saying this was "normal" in the industry.

I posted this info a couple years ago (was it in the long thread about inverters and microwaves?) What a crock! My 2000w Vector inverter and others lets you use one 15amp receptacle to get the whole watts rating of the inverter.

ISTR pianotuna ran into something similar recently with his new inverter that disappointed.

Posted By: mena661 on 10/30/10 07:01pm

The Xantrex SW Prowatt series has one outlet for the whole deal whether 600W or 2000W. HERE'S an article on the SW2000.

2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours

Posted By: BFL13 on 10/30/10 07:20pm

http://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/VEC053D.htm
You asked about sales.

Here's a good one on sale for $100. I have had the 2000w version for almost two years now with no issues and am very pleased with it. I have used it for microwave, toaster, and electric kettle no problem. The fan does come on and you can hear it, but it is not a loud whine sound so not at all annoying. Fan not an issue like some IMO.

I see they are out of the remotes for it. You want the remote. Maybe somebody else has some.

Plugging shore power cable into one of its outlets gets us the full watts if we need them all. For gen time, I unplug from inverter and plug into gen. No ATS, no pass-through etc. Can't say how that would suit Mr Wiz's set -up in operation.

Edit- more of a deal yet!
http://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/VEC084D.htm

This wiring kit is what I used except it cost me $50. Very easy installation. You can get ANL fuses at any car stereo shop too. I didn't bother with a fuse holder. No problems so far. Just bolt the two pos wires' lugs to one end of the ANL fuse (with the hole) and slide the other end (with the open U ) under the battery wing nut with any other pos wires that go on that post. Too easy.

* This post was edited 10/30/10 07:34pm by BFL13 *

Posted By: pianotuna on 10/30/10 07:42pm

Hi,

I'd not recommend the sunforce unless you can read the manual first.

Posted By: MrWizard on 10/30/10 09:25pm

the inverter is hooked up 24/7 and has a duty.cycle (fridge use) approx 20 minuets per hour for a total of about 8 hours per day

checked on cobra they listed their continuous duty full load as " ONE HOUR" the fridge is not on that long and only a fraction of the load, but that's not what I call continuous
I'll check on the sunforce half load per outlet,.that is more likely the listed continuous duty of the outlet terminals NOT a wiring situation ( 5000 watt is different it requires a heavy twist lock to carry that load not a duplex outlet )
(I do remember that thread and his problems)

Posted By: pianotuna on 10/30/10 09:43pm

Hi Mr Wizard,

I have used my Cobra for 24 hours at a time to power my 305 watt absorption fridge with a duty cycle of 2/3. It was also powering a laptop, was used for a 200 watt radiant heater (for 3 hours) and used for cooking (750 watt hot plate) for three meals.

Posted By: BFL13 on 10/30/10 10:16pm

I found that Sunforce "1000w" note in that old thread from Feb 2009 . 500w per outlet each has its own circuit breaker. By contrast the Xantrex 1750 (1500 cont. ) has its outlets in parallel so one can do it all. Same with my Vector.

* This post was edited 10/30/10 10:23pm by BFL13 *

Posted By: MrWizard on 11/30/10 03:10pm

after much research , and hym hawing around, I finally ordered the Tripp Lite PV1250, the one I was initially interested in, it has the heaviest "duration & overload" ratings, weighs the.most ( heavy transformer ) and most likely able to stand up to continuous 24/7 use, unlike those PSW models that all weigh around 9# and have surge duration measured tenths of second or much less

I ordered last night and it has already been shipped

now I need to get another "charge unit" to replace the amps lost from the dead freedom, this will supplement the 55 amp wfco MB which is handling the bulk recharge duty , and boost the charge amps to previous capabilities

Posted By: BFL13 on 11/30/10 04:15pm

Your old charger unit was 70amps ISTR. Two 1093s for 80amps total costs twice $79 now (plus shipping) from boatandrvaccessories.com price has dropped recently from $89 each. Max flex too if you needed to put one on each bank.

Posted By: MrWizard on 11/30/10 05:01pm

the freedom inverter had 50a charge capability, coupled in tandem with the wfco the batteries would accept 90 amps at the beginning of the charge cycle

as much as I like the vectors, they are not the answer to my need for automatic charging when I start a generator, because we fulltime, hooking up the vectors and pushing buttons to choose the mode is too much "daily" Inconvenience

Posted By: pianotuna on 11/30/10 06:11pm

Hi Mr Wizard,

Since you need 70 to 120 amps I guess that limits you to PD or Iota. I'd lean towards the PD with a wizard because of the ability to kick it into high gear for four hours.

I must say I'd prefer this:

60 amp true charger

Posted By: MrWizard on 12/02/10 04:30pm

alright the new Tripp Lite PV1250FC MSW inverter is now installed,.it arrived this morning

the fridge is running fine
I tested the inverter with the MW for lunch, takes about 20% longer, strictly a subjective estimate as defrosted food is never exactly the same cooking time and the temp test is by tasting

I also did a test using two 10" fans and a 1500watt electric heater on high with the fridge running, it ran all of it at the same time

the bad news is our digital control electric mattress pad won't work with it,

but the mattress pad does like the new Wagan 300w PSW inverter, so I'm going to rewire one of the by the bed outlets to connect with the wagan, nothing else is going to connect to that circuit

Posted By: pianotuna on 12/02/10 04:55pm

Hi,

You could use an isolation transformer on that one circuit. It may, or may not buzz like the very old devil though. DAMHIK

Posted By: BFL13 on 12/02/10 05:24pm

I lost track of Mr Wiz's set-up but agree Vectors would not suit for all the button pushing etc. Not clear what "charger unit" would be best for remote starting or whatever, but Mr Wiz is inventive!

IMO redundancy is important to be able to charge any battery bank with any charger. Also I still think Mr Wiz has the opportunity to do the split-bank trick now with all that solar, to do a 100% recharge on one bank while running the rig with the other, so the new "charging unit" has another reason to be able to charge either bank.

Posted By: RoyB on 12/02/10 08:51pm

pianotuna - Been reading this thread with interest. Is my POPUP fridge too much draw for my 1500 WATT PSW INVERTER. I dont have my book on it in front of me but I think on DC it draws around 4AMPs - Dont know what it draws on 120VAC This unit only runs on AC and DC - Not propane... (Not the COMPRESSOR MOTOR type)

Of all the times I have been off-the-grid Ive never tried to use my fridge (On battery or inverter) - Just figured we would live out of the 5-day Ice Chest.. Just go get our steaks the night before we cook them up on the grill...

I was originally going to use two banks of two batteries but at the moment I only have two banks of two batteries and one battery. My two banks are controlled by the four position battery switches (Blue Sea 9001). I can split up my banks like Mr Wiz is doing and charge one bank during the day while I am running my trailer off the other bank by flipping the switches... That was my plan - Haven't got my solar panels yet ... those four position battery switches are perfect for this... (OFF-BAT1-BOTH-BAT2). I have three battery switches now. One for each bank and one for selecting which bank to feed the trailer. All three switches are the Blue sea 9001.

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

Posted By: pianotuna on 12/02/10 09:01pm

Hi,

It probably only draws 305 watts on the 120 volt side--with inverter inefficiency about 30 amps from the battery bank. So, yes, your inverter will easily do it...but the battery bank may not last too long.

RoyB wrote:

pianotuna - Been reading this thread with interest. Is my POPUP fridge too much draw for my 1500 WATT PSW INVERTER. I dont have my book on it in front of me but I think on DC it draws around 4AMPs - Dont know what it draws on 120VAC This unit only runs on AC and DC - Not propane... (Not the COMPRESSOR MOTOR type)

I was originally going to use two banks of two batteries but at the moment I only have two banks of two batteries and one battery. My two banks are controlled by the four position battery switches (Blue Sea 9001). I can split up my banks like Mr Wiz is doing and charge one bank during the day while I am running my trailer off the other bank by flipping the switches... That was my plan - Haven't got my solar panels yet ... those four position battery switches are perfect for this... (OFF-BAT1-BOTH-BAT2). I have three battery switches now. One for each bank and one for selecting which bank to feed the trailer. All three switches are the Blue sea 9001.

Posted By: MrWizard on 12/02/10 10:38pm

only 4 amps at 12v, you don't need to use the inverter, that's only 48watts, but if that's a thermo electric, solid state cooling unit, its very likely a constant continuous.draw 24hrs = 96 amphrs used,
does it cycle or is it constant ?

Posted By: pianotuna on 12/02/10 10:41pm

Hi Mr. Wiz,

Good point--I never considered thermo electric.

Posted By: MrWizard on 12/23/10 09:48pm

update bought two separate pieces a Tripp lite pv1250 inverter and a wfco 68100 ... 100amp smart converter and now have them installed
still considering a transfer switch to create a pass thru for the inverter and take the load offline while running a generator

Posted By: mena661 on 12/23/10 10:10pm

Do you know how many volts the 68100 is putting out?

Print  |  Close