|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Converting Manual A&E Awning to 12 Volt

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
twocruisin

Crystal River, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/10 05:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found a dealer on Ebay that is selling replacement arms for my A&E Elite Awning.......You get all the switches and two replacement arms to convert the manual awning to electric.........One switch mounts inside and one outside on the awning arm.....You can turn the system on and off from inside also to keep people from playing with the outside switch..........
I doesn't come with the automatic closing feature, but if I want it I can get a circuit board for about a hundred bucks........I don't really care about the automatic feature anyway...

I'm hoping I got a good deal on the kit for $329.00 with free shipping from California...

Has anyone done this upgrade to their A&E manual awning ?

I'll let you know how the project turns out.........It doesn't seem so hard to do and for that price, I had to give it a shot....

John

John
Crystal River
Florida
40 Foot Damon Diesel Bus

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/10 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a A-E electric awning on the coach we just purchased and I don't like it at all. I had upgraded our last coach to the Carefree Eclipse electric arm set and those arms can be angled just like the manual arms. Our A-E electric arms are not adjustable and the roller is 10' off of the ground when it is extended. Being that high it is of little value for shade.

Jim

2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

Canadian Rainbirds

Vancouver Island (Winter: Mainland Mexico)

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/10 08:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jauguston wrote:

We have a A-E electric awning on the coach we just purchased and I don't like it at all. I had upgraded our last coach to the Carefree Eclipse electric arm set and those arms can be angled just like the manual arms. Our A-E electric arms are not adjustable and the roller is 10' off of the ground when it is extended. Being that high it is of little value for shade.

Jim

X2. Waiting for it to fail, the wind, trees or whatever to rip it off so we can justify replacing it with a manual one.

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/10 09:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a few dollars more the Eclipse arm set will also work on A-E awnings. I am tempted.

Jim

twocruisin

Crystal River, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/10 03:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got the arms mostly because I don't use the awning at all now.......Too much BS to put it up and down............Here in Florida we get a storm every afternoon and that means running out there to get soaked to close the damm awning.......If you don't close it, you lose it in the wind.......
I have spoken to a lot of people that say the automatic retract feature is too sensitive on the Eclipse awning and closes too often when even a breeze comes up...

We'll see............I can add auto-retract later if I want.....

ryanallie1

Magalia, Calif

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/10 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All.

No Electric Awning for us. Thank You, we'll just keep with the Mannual ones. We use our Awning all of the time. It really adds to the amount of usable space you have to use. I don't find it that much of a bother if I have to bring it back down. Not that big of a deal to me anyways. We have left ours out in some fairly good winds and rain, and never had any issues. A lot of it is how you set up your Awning up in the first place. If it is angled, the rain will not collect on it. And if it is anchored down good, it can with stand a fair amount of wind. I do use three sets of Awning Tensioners on each side, so we don't really get any flapping from ours. But if we think the weather will be pretty nasty, we will just retract it. We retrack ours if we leave for the day anyways, just to be safe. We haven't lost of Damaged an Awning in the 45 years as RV'ers. Good Luck on your Awning Mod. Good Luck. Happy Travels. Dan & Jill

1998-33.5 Rexhall, Rexair SL. 460 EFI. F-53. 7.3 MPG. TST TPMS. HWH Levelers. 5.5G Gen. Convection/Microwave Water Purifier/Water Softner. 2 A/C's. Alarm Systems. Honda EU2000i's W/Kit. Steer-Safe. CR-V W/SMI System. FMCA #F414397 Nam-Vet, 66-67-68&70-71

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/10 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I upgraded to the Eclipse electric arm set I installed only the switch on the bottom of the front arm. It only takes 20 seconds to retract the awning so I saw no need for the automatic option. If we leave the coach to go somewhere I simply push the button.

Jim

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/10 09:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carefree makes that kit for Dometic awnings. Doug

Triker33

Homestead, FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/10 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twocruisin wrote:

I got the arms mostly because I don't use the awning at all now.......Too much BS to put it up and down............Here in Florida we get a storm every afternoon and that means running out there to get soaked to close the damm awning.......If you don't close it, you lose it in the wind.

Not all Florida is that way. I put my manual awning out on September the 16th and it stays out until the 1st of May. Only time in-between it goes up is when a hurricane is forecast-ed to come through the area.
That has happen once a few years ago when Wilma visited.

I do use tie down straps on the end of the roller with the cork screws into the ground. A couple flappers on the side. And the awning is facing the East.

It takes all those 30-40 MPG gust with no problem.

Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
DataStorm SatMax5 | VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Converting Manual A&E Awning to 12 Volt
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts