RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Norcold LRIM 1200 Recall and insulation upgrade???

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Norcold LRIM 1200 Recall and insulation upgrade???

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RayChez

Barstow, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/10 11:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gale Hawkins wrote:

Ray I do not know the starting watts required but the running watts will be about 75 watts based on testing with a Kill-A-Watt meter for a large home model. I think Lucy stated the full cost of well under $5K. They changed out the batteries but that was not a requirement for the frig directly.

Fred you are correct. The model Lucy installed will use 1/5 or less the watts of the Norcold she had removed. Someone mentioned they replaced with a Samsung. We have the same series in our house and it has a manual boost mode that will run for 2.5 hours then reset to normal for when you are loading a lot of warm food, etc. I tested ours and after 1.5 hours the lower box (freezer) was like -22 or so and the upper was at a +23 I think. If ran before you parked for the night at WM the frig could stay off over night with NO power just fine.

If dry camping if the frig was ran for 2 hours on the generator at max cool every 24 hours it might be OK. If one was not without AC at night then NO batteries would be required.

When underway with an inverter the engine alternator should run the frig just fine.

As typical of the web we often go for OVERKILL. [emoticon]

Gale, my understanding is the inverter runs off the house batteries. it inverts DC power into AC power. The engine alternator charges the chassis batteries.
On my coach as I understand it the house batteries do not get charged by the engine alternator.
If I want the house batteries charged I have to start the generator.
So if it was like you say that the frig runs off the alternator, then that means the inverter is drawing off the chassis batteries plus the house batteries. That would be quite a draw for the alternator on the engine.
I don't think it works that way, but then again I could be wrong.

* This post was edited 11/06/10 09:32am by RayChez *

2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

brobox

Sunny SW. Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/10 04:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lucy,
GREAT photo blog, thank you for sharing. It is bookmarked in case my cooling unit quits.

Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

Smitty77

OnDRoad

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/10 01:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After reading other threads about this being a one time repair, that if you do blow this new swtich, they do not plan to sell replacements (not 100% on this, just going by other threads and what others have heard), this does not give me a good feeling.

I want to say good for Norcold stepping up for a total recall, sort of like Workhorse with the brakes, too long on a safety/life related defects. But, they have done so now.

The propane feature is also important to us, so I want to retain the capability. I don't like the other threads reports that if the switch goes out, it's all on you for a new cooling unit.

So, I'm thinking of not doing the. I'm going for the Amish new cooling unit, like Cloud Dancer. I'll still keep my added cooling fan (and add a second while the fridge is out and I have acces, same with the SS-30, mount if more permanently then my gorilla tape to the back of the fridge[emoticon]!). I have nad no cooling problems with this 1200, but did add the internal fan to add better circulation anyways.

For those of you that are into this more from the research and pratical experience side of the coin - do you feel my steps are prudent. The new Amish unit is a one time investment. Should protect us from fires. SS-30 adds inusrance (paid for, keep it), we also have the behind fridge smoke detector installed as a final 'wake up, insurance. This provides us with the propane we want to retain.

Or, should I just go ahead and get the free upgrade, and do the Amish cooling unit "if" the 2004 unit ever does go bad? This unit may never go bad, and with the added fans keeping the back cooler. If the existing tubes do burst and cause a fire, the SS-30 knocks it out.

Opinions and corrections in my thinking welcomed!
Best,
Smitth

Smitty77

OnDRoad

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/10 08:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just responded to another post about the kind of fans people are adding, and it made me remember that some were adding multiple fans, with some of the set to go off by a heat sensor? Searched some, but could not find the postings on this.

I also was looking for feedback if anyone else is less then comfortable with adding the recall cut out? One more item to go wrong, and if it does on a unit that has not primary safety problem, you're still SOL on getting a 'authorized' replacement.

Still leaning towards blowing this recall off, due to the other safety measures I've taken. And replace it with the Amish solid tube, improved cooling unit.

Be safe, have fun,
Smitty

bcthunder

Kelowna BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/10 12:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had difficulty getting the 'fix' up here so I have taken some other simple safety measures. I think I will get the new cooling unit early next year when I am in the US and install it as well as anything else I think I need once I am in there. I would rather do this than wait for something to fail.

I have had no trouble al all thus far with my Norcold 1200L RIM, I enjoy the option of propane and use it that way frequently, the size of the fridge suits my needs plus I do not find having to do an occasional defrost difficult.

2000 Beaver Patriot Thunder
Cat C-12 * Allison 4060
Aventa 2 * US Gear * Jeep GCL

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/10 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK so David Force convinced me that the brand new Norcold cooling unit, for the 1200, that he sells (and made in Shipshewana IN by Pines RV Refrigeration) is a better-design/better-built unit than the Norcold. He explained the material-quality improvements and design upgrades.
But, one can also see some obvious differences. Here's photos of mine, for comparison:

[image]

[image]

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/10 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WOW! The Norcold looks the same as the ones in the smaller double door models except at the top. The RV Pines Refrigeration cooling unit looks like it was built for business.

If Norcold basically just put larger evaporator coils and used more or less the same quality for the rest of the cooling unit as used in the smaller Norcold's that could explain a lot.

After seeing your photos I would consider paying for the one from David Force even if Norcold was going to give me a free one with the failure rate of the 1200 and the risk of fire.

Cloud Dancer thanks for the photos.

RayChez

Barstow, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/10 10:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anybody shown any kind of figures as to how many Norcold 1200 LRIM have failed and started a fire. Or is it being blown out of proportion in this forum.
Just wondering because I have had this unit for seven years and sure I have taken it for the recalls, but it has not been because it has not done its job. Mine has performed perfect.
Some times these companies get bashing that is unwarranted.
Can somebody post some figures?

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/10 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RayChez wrote:

Has anybody shown any kind of figures as to how many Norcold 1200 LRIM have failed and started a fire. Or is it being blown out of proportion in this forum.
Just wondering because I have had this unit for seven years and sure I have taken it for the recalls, but it has not been because it has not done its job. Mine has performed perfect.

The information is held by Norcold,....why would they reveal these statistics?
I'm not bashing Norcold, my 1200LRIM worked perfectly in every way for 7-1/2 years (almost all its life in the sunbelt).
Then, something happened and I had a small fire (or maybe it was just a very hot area). The insulation on the 120vac wires melted, the wires shorted and tripped the dedicated circuit breaker, and shut down the frige. The next thing that I discovered is that the ammonia started leaking. I thought Norcold would want to hear all about it, but they didn't. All they wanted was the cooling unit serial number, and right away told me that it was NOT on the recall (at that time).
But NOW, to their credit, they promised to send my local Norcold-approved techie the new thermocouple kit that's for the latest recall. It should've arrived, but I'm still waiting.
Here's how mine looked:

[image]

[image]

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/10 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RayChez wrote:

Ray do you run yours 8760 hours a year or less? I think Cloud Dancer did run his 24/7. It may not be an age/usage thing since some burned MH's were only a couple years old.

Maybe this is not a Norcold defect after all but just the higher BTU heat output is just too much for the non flowing cooling unit to cope with. If this is the case than fans are not going to do the trick so a kill device will be required that can sense the run away heat build up.

Maybe what Norcold is doing is the only solution. If the white 1200 cooling unit of Amish design in time has just as many failures then Norcold will be in the clear. If they can get the fires stopped occurring when there is a CU failure then all will be better.

Why has it taken so long to figure out to add a safety device that seems to have been logical for all RV refrigerators from the get go?

I am starting to think when adding fans help keep things cooler that may just indicate cooling unit is starting to fail and should be replaced ASAP?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Norcold LRIM 1200 Recall and insulation upgrade???
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS