|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Suburban furnace troubleshooting

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
SPRING STREET

LOUISVILLE KY.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/10 09:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having problems with my furnace, fan runs but no heat. worked fine yesterday but went out sometime during the night. shut system down and reset the thermostat, fan comes on but sounds like the furnace doesn't ignite..any ideas and where do I look first?? thanks.. and yes I have plenty of propane!

2005 MOUNTAIN AIRE 4304, FMCA F334596, Good Sams and KOA member..TOAD 2012 Ford Edge with the Eco Boost Engine, License plate "TOWED" > RoadMaster All-Terrain Tow Bar and Base Plates.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/10 09:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exactly what happened to ours...
Turned out to be a faulty "sail switch."
Replaced under warranty.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

answerswillvary

eastern washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/10 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from RV Parks, National Parks, State Campgrounds & More

2009 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QBP

JESTER7406

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/10 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sounds like the "sail" switch. It makes sure there is a spcified amount of air flowing through the unit before it allows gas to turn on and heat the air. I am assuming the unit turns on, blows cool air for about 30 sec, then turns off. Sometimes the rabbit cage fan is not moving enough air. If that is the case a small piece of foil tape can be doubled over to increase the surface area of the switch allowing the circuit to close and operate correctly. Any RV service center should be able to repair in about 1-2 hours depending how buried the furnace is.

Happy Trails,
Jesse
2006 Cheverolet 2500
2003 Four Winds 31Z w/ airbags
[COLOR=#669900][4Runner with readybrute]
Wrangler TOAD when I dont want to d/c driveline
2 Worthless Labs and WAAY worthless Puggle

JESTER7406

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/10 05:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

forgot in the 1st post...
Perhaps the batteries went low overnight and caused decreased fan speed and thus not enough airflow to operate sail switch.

booty51

houston

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/10 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the same problem my post is titled suburban furnace . One of the guys gave me a trouble shooting post with a manual read it it might help you outI am trying to test and see if Iam getting voltage to the board. Its like knocking over dominoes one leads to the other .

Booty

SPRING STREET

LOUISVILLE KY.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/10 09:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JESTER7406 wrote:

Perhaps the batteries went low overnight and caused decreased fan speed and thus not enough airflow to operate sail switch.
I was plugged into shore power so the fan continues to blow cold air..and I mean cold !!

SPRING STREET

LOUISVILLE KY.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/10 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JESTER7406 wrote:

sounds like the "sail" switch. It makes sure there is a spcified amount of air flowing through the unit before it allows gas to turn on and heat the air. I am assuming the unit turns on, blows cool air for about 30 sec, then turns off. Sometimes the rabbit cage fan is not moving enough air. If that is the case a small piece of foil tape can be doubled over to increase the surface area of the switch allowing the circuit to close and operate correctly. Any RV service center should be able to repair in about 1-2 hours depending how buried the furnace is.
Where is the sail switch located and is it an expensive piece??

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/10 10:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SPRING STREET wrote:

JESTER7406 wrote:

Where is the sail switch located and is it an expensive piece??

NT series Suburban requires furnace removal from coach to access the sail switch. Strongly suggest getting the Surburban service documents HERE and perform the troubleshooting routine from start to finish for the best results and minimize the amount of times you remove and install the furnance form the coach.

Something as minor as rust and scale in the burner chamber can prevent the sail switch from operating properly.....

beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/10 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SPRING STREET wrote:

JESTER7406 wrote:

I was plugged into shore power so the fan continues to blow cold air..and I mean cold !!

May seem elementary, but do you have LP? First thing I would check.

Even if you momentarily lost LP the furnace can "time out". To reset, turn the thermostat completely off to interrupt power and then back on.

A poor man seeks riches, a rich man seeks power, but a wise man seeks contentment.

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Suburban furnace troubleshooting
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: