RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: EcoRoamer: High-tech, zombie-proof survival RV

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> EcoRoamer: High-tech, zombie-proof survival RV

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
jayandalice

Singapore

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/10 12:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi All,
I'm Jay Shapiro, the builder / owner of the EcoRoamer discussed in this thread. There's been some great questions and some (not so great) accusations here, So I really appreciate the rv.net administrators giving me the chance to unlock the thread to clear them up.

First off there was some discussion of whether or not I am a "Maoist Commie", based on a HAT in a picture that somebody posted.

Guys, that's not even ME in the picture! If you look on the www.ecoroamer.com website you will see dozens of pictures of me, but that's not one of them. Also, just for the record, the hat in question is from Vietnam, and the person wearing it was a trader on Wall St. Definitely not a Maoist.

NOT me. (though a funny picture of a Wall St. banker in a costume)
[image]

THIS is me. (the one with the beard)
[image]
NOTE: the HAT, since theat seems to be so important. It is from The Muskoka Foundation - my non-profit charity that encourages RVers & Overland Travelers to do volunteer work with children in orphanages and shelters, during your travels.

I'm also not an "ecotopian", but I do believe that anyone building/traveling in an RV has an obligation to think about the impact of their travel, and ideally reduce that impact. To that end, we created the Ecoroamer, if for nothing else than to start these kinds of discussions, and to get people thinking about the issues.

[image]
The EcoRoamer in Alaska - Please note: The glacier was already melting before the EcoRoamer arrived...

So what about the Ecoroamer itself?

The 6.5 mpg quoted is a rough average based on 40,000 miles of traveling, substantially on corrugated, dirt, mountain roads. Yes, it is likely to be lower than that in Africa. But the mpg only tells a small part of the story...

First, whenever possible, those gallons are made up of 100% recycled waste veggie oil. Reducing the environmental/security impact of getting the oil we burn.

Second, that 6.5 figure includes running our alternators that run (through batteries) our lights, our cooking, our laundry, our entire office, etc. The heater and domestic water heater run off the bio-diesel as well. All of which is backed up by our solar panels. So overall our footprint is tiny compared to what most people use in their 2,000 sq.ft house + an office + a classroom, even with the impact of our driving around the world.

Then, we offset every gram of CO2 the truck produces, through investments in wind turbines. Now, we know that carbon credits are far from perfect, but how many more wind turbines are there now, reducing our dependence on oil/gas/coal, because of it? I think that in the end, it helps.

Lastly, there was some discussion about Dick in Australia and how his Earthroamer died leaving him stranded on his trip. That is a big reason why we chose the F650 with the cat c7 engine. This engine is used by Cat in power generators and construction equipment in over 130 countries. Together with the Alison transmission, we know there are parts and trained service techs all around the world. Not something that could be said about a 6L Ford F550, Mercedes van or any of the Rams.

Anyhow, I am delighted that the conversation is even happening, and I hope I have given you some more food for thought.

Please follow our adventures at www.Ecoroamer.com and feel free to contact me through our CONTACT forms there.

Cheers,
Jay.

Jay & Alice - www.ontheroadlesstravelled.com
Based in Singapore, Travelling the world
...one dirt road at a time!

2007 - Ford F-650 EcoRoamer 4x4 Expedition Vehicle

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> EcoRoamer: High-tech, zombie-proof survival RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS