|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Front Kitchen

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
nwokhunter

OKlahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/10 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pros and cons of front kitchen floor plan. Looking at Dutchstar 4055. What are some of your opinions.

Mr.Mark

CA/TN

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/10 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They make'm for a reason as customers must be requesting them.

Pro's:
-closer to the front door when bringing in groceries.
-don't have to walk as far to get a drink while going down the road.

Con's:
-the pilot and co-pilot seats are NOT part of the living room (deal breaker for me).
-if you have guests over to watch TV and they are sitting in the 'front' seats... people in the kitchen cooking/preparing will be in the way to see the TV.
-can't see as well out the front windows from the living/sofa area.

MM.

Mr.Mark
2013 Honda CR-V EXL, AWD, w/Nav, SMI Air Force One vacuum-assisted braking, Blue Ox base-plate, Blue Ox tow bar.
2015 Liberty Coach Elegant Lady, 45 ft., one and a half bath, 4 slide, 500 hp Volvo.

rolling_rhoda

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/10 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr.Mark wrote:

Con's:
-the pilot and co-pilot seats are NOT part of the living room (deal breaker for me).

x2 Our pilots' chairs are very comfortable. Front kitchen would not work for our family of four.

UltraKen

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/10 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr.Mark wrote:

They make'm for a reason as customers must be requesting them.

Pro's:
-closer to the front door when bringing in groceries.
-don't have to walk as far to get a drink while going down the road.

Con's:
-if you have guests over to watch TV and they are sitting in the 'front' seats... people in the kitchen cooking/preparing will be in the way to see the TV.
-can't see as well out the front windows from the living/sofa area.

MM.

Interesting points.

As a big dog owner I see the floorplan as having the same advantages as our mid-entry coach. The dog goes directly to his crate in the kitchen, dirty feet hit the easier to clean kitchen floor, and groceries don't get carried through the living room area.

But definitely "different strokes for different folks".

UltraKen
Ex - 1968 Ultra Van
NOW - 1996 Safari Sahara 35' - Model 3530 - Cat 300
Pictures of my Coach
A $93 Rear Camera System
My take on replacing tires
Used MH Checklist
Toad: Dodge Grand Caravan on Tow Dolly or 1981 Vespa on utility trailer

Clay L

Palisade CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/10 02:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are always a bunch of us getting together for potlucks and happy hours. Sometimes it is too chilly to sit outside and we want to go inside. I would not want to lose the space where friends can sit.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

Doug360

Edmonton

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/10 12:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can do dishes while driving!!

rolnhome

Casa Grande, Az

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/10 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of the foward galleys we did not like at all, we ran from them. The we found and bought a Discovery 40x mid living area and are very happy. Gets you into the motorhome. By that I mean you seem to use more of the space. Instead of looking out the front windshield all day while driving then moving back to a front living area and looking at the foward tv or view out the front window; the mid living area gets you away from the front of the motorhome and into more of a relaxed "we are here" setting. Plus you have a place to take off shoes or dirty clothes before getting on the carpet and you don't have to walk thu the living area when you are outside and need to access the refridge for a cold one or the BBque sauce. Kids can come in and get snacks or what ever without "tracking up" the whole MH. Having a 40inch TV I sometimes sit in the passenger chair to watch the rear mounted tv. We can see the big tv with the slides closed so the grand kids can watch a movie or DVD as we go down the road. Everybody has different preferences that's why so many floorplans.

We're in Arizona

Paints

Central Coast of Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/10 04:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We looked at one.. The thing I didn't like was it only had the one TV in the center of the coach.. If you were boon docking and couldn't open your slides you had no TV in the living room.. Now I know some have the TV up front too so then it wouldn't matter...

ShapeShifter

Buffalo, NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/10 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we bought our rig, it was a tough decision whether to go with the front kitchen or mid kitchen. We went with the mid kitchen.

Then, loading the rig and checking the weights, it turned out that a significant portion of our CCC is up front, to the point where I have to always try to load as much heavy stuff in the front basement compartments as possible, and keep the stuff in the bedroom cabinets as light as possible, else I run the risk of overloading the rear axle.

So it made me wonder if I would've been better off with the front kitchen. But then I was talking with another forum member who did buy the front kitchen model of my rig. Turns out that he has the opposite loading issues -- it's real hard for him to not overload the front axle, he has to try to keep stuff as far back as possible.

I'm torn as to what is best. I think my next rig will be a mid-kitchen model with a tag axle -- keep the weight to the back, and have the tag axle to help support some of it.

The moral of this discussion: don't just look at the floor plan, also look at the weight distribution. Kitchens are heavy, and it does make a difference where they are located. The brand you're looking at is most certainly different than mine, so my experiences may or may not apply. My suggestion is before you get your heart set on one flooplan or the other, look into any potential weight distribution issues.

2007 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PDQ LE
400 ISL Cummins/Allison
2013 Ford F-150 FX4 toad

Inside: Him, Her, and a pack of little furballs...

rolnhome

Casa Grande, Az

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/10 06:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oops

* This post was edited 11/19/10 06:30pm by rolnhome *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Front Kitchen
Search:   Advanced Search