RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What types of class c RV's have 4 cylinder engines?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> What types of class c RV's have 4 cylinder engines?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/10 09:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm REALLY trying to save on MPG, and I know it's kind of an oxymoron in a way to think of an RV & MPG....

But I DO know that there are some class c RVs were built on 4 cylinder Toyota trucks. I imagine these to get much better gas mileage than even the 6 cylinder models.

So basically, I have 2 questions.

1) Are there any other types of Class C RVs built on 4 cylinder vehicles?

2) By chance does anybody know what kind of gas mileage a 4 cylinder class c is capable of?

Thanks a lot.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/10 10:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see some of the old Toyota C-Class MHs now and again still on the road. Not sure of the mpg or the size of engines. Sometimes a V-6 or even a V-8 may get better mpg than a 4 cylinder if the engine is having to really work due to size and weight of the vehicle.

Some other ways of perhaps getting better mpg in an RV:
B-Class MHs such as RoadTrek. No need for a toad with one of them. But must break camp to go places in them.

Our daughter & her husband rented an ">A-liner hardsided pop up trailer to travel to Yellowstone this summer; worked very well for them. They would always have it up and ready before we could get our set up. It didn't have to be level as well, no frig. A very simular hardsided pop up is the Chalet: A-liners and Chalets

Teardrops are another option, but no showers. Many makes and sizes: Little Guy and Roughneck even a Little Joe; not a teardrop but very small.

Truck Campers would be another options and they come in many different sizes. Photo **** Photo

For longevity, one can not do better than a molded fiberglass unit, such as Scamp and Casita.
Light Weight Trailers Going Small

Oh, Yes. we put 2503.9 miles according to the trip odometer and seems the Ford F-150 averaged about 17 MPG going up to Yellowstone and back this summer.

DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/10 12:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My folks pull a Chalet hard side pop up (like an A-Liner) behind a Toyota Sienna and do fine. It's the two of them , stuff, and the dog. They won't set any speed records but it's economical and fits in the garage. As far as the fuel mileage thing goes you need to figure how much your fuel bill is going to be. Generally it is chump change compared to the cost of the RV based on the amount of miles driven. A little math will prove the point.

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/10 11:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Safari Trek

They had some Izusu powered 3.9L Turbodiesels for a couple of years.

Sort of underpowered, for the size of the motorhome. Came in 28' long, front diesel, about 140 HP, only 90" wide so it was a bit tiny, but HUGE compared to the Toyota campers.

I have a friend that tows a A-Liner (link above) with a Dodge and a small V8. He gets decent gas mileage.

But don't be to concerned about the fuel mileage. The most expensive thing for me, when full timing, and driving 5,000 miles one summer with gas hovering at $4 per gallon was insurance. I only used about 1,000 gallons of gasoline to power my car and the minivan I was towing.

If I had "Gone Small" and only taken the van, I would have needed to pay for about 200 nights in a hotel room, or needed to spend several nights each month in a campground with a smaller RV (and smaller fresh water, black water tanks that need to be filled and emptied more frequently).

With my 30' motorhome, I get about 7 MPG. I can dry camp for about 2 weeks with the 100 gallon fresh water tank, longer if I bring home water while out sightseeing. Then spend one night in a campground, and 2 more weeks someplace that is free.

Grand Canyon National Forest is a favorite of mine. Lots of trees, some open meadows, ect.

So I might only spend $25 on a campground twice a month. And I can cut back on the insurance if I call them and suspend the coverage while I am parked someplace for the 2 weeks, just remember to get it back in force before driving again.

Fred.

lzasitko

Regina, SK Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/10 11:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know what milage the old Toyots's got but I have heard that they were really underpowered and if you saw a hill.....

I do not know of any current domestic motorhome that uses a 4 cylinder. I know if you go to Europe or Down Under that you can get them, don't know much about the milage they get but again if you need to go through hilly country you would be better off with a v8 or more. My MH has a 454 and going through the mountains it works pretty good, only a couple really steep grades where my speed drops under 50 mph. Can't image taking something like a small c with a 4 banger but each to their own.

I think it is only fair to others on the road to do at least the speed limit especially through the mountains where a good part of the drive is single lane each way.

lwahls

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/10 05:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 95 Rialta is getting about 20 mpg on highway with 5 cyl. VW. Runs a comfortable 60 to 65 on highway.

poptop80

RRUGG

Newaygo, MI,USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/10 07:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW, what we call class C now used to be called mini motorhomes and those built on Toyotas used to be called micro minis. Reportedly the 4 cylinder micros used to get about 15 mpg but you could not be in a hurry if you were going uphill.

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/10 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen a lot of old Tiogas built on a Toyota chasis and from the speed they are driving I ASSUME they're 4 cylinder engines. We regularly see several of them on the breach in south Texas but you rarely see them in the mountains. I'm sure there were other brands using the same configurations.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

VintageRacer

Tatamagouche Nova Scotia

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/10 06:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want economy in a small self-contained RV, look for a Sprinter based unit with their 5 cylinder diesel.

Brian

2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

catman2130093

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/10 08:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VintageRacer wrote:

If you want economy in a small self-contained RV, look for a Sprinter based unit with their 5 cylinder diesel.

Brian

While in terms of mileage,these are pretty good, but buying one is so expensive that a slightly older unit with a larger engine would actually be more economical to own and use..

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> What types of class c RV's have 4 cylinder engines?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS