|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> NORCOLD RECALL

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
JohnnyT

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/10 04:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the past two weeks we have had 18 different Norcold Recall Threads ... concerning the 1200 series.

Here is a link to the Norcold recall recall web site... Other units besides the 1200 series have had recalls as well http://www.norcoldrecall.com/ If you own a Norcold I suggest you read the link to see if your Norcold is among those with recall notices.

Please click on the recall link to see if your refrigerator is among the units that have been recalled.

Here is a complete explanation and illustration of the 1200 series recall. Recall PDF

"The population of refrigerators being addressed contains either a sensing algorithm or a thermal switch to interrupt power to the refrigerator when it detects high temperatures that could lead to a fire. The defect being addressed is the response time of the sensing algorithm and the thermal switch. The remedy is to affix a thermocouple, with a faster response time, to all refrigerators equipped with a sensing algorithm or a thermal switch."

"Norcold uses this same thermocouple and high temperature monitor in the manufacture of all new 1210 refrigerators."

"In the event an abnormally high temperature is detected, all heat source outputs to the cooling unit will be disabled. This condition is non resettable and must be serviced by an authorized service center."

JohnnyT Moderator

kalynzoo

Los Angeles , California

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/10 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Come on: Norcold calls this a fix? So if the new thermocouple fails so will your frig, and there is no reset. All your food is lost. Your ability to use your vacation frig is lost. And based on the history of the Norcold recalls, it may have been a false alarm...as noted in the many "no-co" warnings. I appreciate that customer safety is a concern, but quality control should be a consideration. This fix is total unacceptable to this customer.

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/10 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kalynzoo wrote:

Come on: Norcold calls this a fix? So if the new thermocouple fails so will your frig, and there is no reset. All your food is lost. Your ability to use your vacation frig is lost. And based on the history of the Norcold recalls, it may have been a false alarm...as noted in the many "no-co" warnings. I appreciate that customer safety is a concern, but quality control should be a consideration. This fix is total unacceptable to this customer.
X2 for sure. It'll be a long cold day in he*l before I get another Norcold or Dometic product. We're replacing our 1210 cooling unit with an Amish unit.

John

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/10 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It could be a fix to keep from burning up in your MH. It is in no way a fix for the cooling function of the refrigerator.

Stopping/greatly reducing the chance for a RV fire is a good thing. It remains to be seen if Norcold is planning to offer a "fix" for the cooling unit operational problem short of selling you a new one.

farmer_boots

Weirsdale, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/10 04:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jurban

I purchased a cooling unit from Pines RV made by the Amish. Took about 1/2 a day to change it out. Because my unit was in a slide I added two fans and a thermostat. Even on a hot summer day I have a hard time keeping stuff from freezing. Where I use to run it at the coldest setting I am now in the mid to lower range. Worked great for me.

2006 Monaco Diplomat

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/10 07:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kalynzoo wrote:

You are greatly mistaken as are a LOT of people on this recall. The recall just PREVENTS a disaster IF the parameters of the CU call for a possible rupture of the CU which "Might" cause a fire. CU's (ALL RV refers, not just this model) leak all the time and have for years, but rarely do they catch fire. The parameters that this Recall have means that you already have a defective cooling unit (Blockage or whatever) and this recall prevents a overheating that could cause a disaster. IF the Thermocoupler trips, you have a defective cooling unit anyway and it needs to be replaced. This just keeps YOU from continuing operation of the refer that could have a severe problem. Remember, the operating temp of the refer is 300 to 350 degrees. The Trip for the new recall is 700 degrees which is a dangerous overheating parameter. The NO CO has NOTHING to do with this recall. The NO CO is in no way similiar to this recall. Doug

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/10 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

farmer_boots wrote:

Jurban

I purchased a cooling unit from Pines RV made by the Amish. Took about 1/2 a day to change it out. Because my unit was in a slide I added two fans and a thermostat. Even on a hot summer day I have a hard time keeping stuff from freezing. Where I use to run it at the coldest setting I am now in the mid to lower range. Worked great for me.
Great. Ours is out and sitting in the middle of the RV waiting for the new cooling unit. I'm also adding another fan and have adjusted the clearances on all sides to comply with those recommended.

Isn't it amazing how one company can make a unit with virtually NO problems and another has nothing but issues. I expect it was a case of the bean counters screaming "make it cheaper, make it cheaper". Then when corners get cut too much and we all get a piece of garbage, the end result is "too bad, it's a fine unit, we just have to add this little gizmo to keep from burning up the rig".

John

TC&Z

Atlanta, GA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/10 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even if we wanted to get the recall fix done there are way too few service centers. Do they really expect us to make a day trip with our MH (assuming it can be fixed within a few hours) to fulfill the recall? This seems excessive.

When GE did their microwave recall they sent a repairman to our location. What's with Norcold?

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/10 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JUrban wrote:

farmer_boots wrote:

Jurban

Great. Ours is out and sitting in the middle of the RV waiting for the new cooling unit. I'm also adding another fan and have adjusted the clearances on all sides to comply with those recommended.

Isn't it amazing how one company can make a unit with virtually NO problems and another has nothing but issues. I expect it was a case of the bean counters screaming "make it cheaper, make it cheaper". Then when corners get cut too much and we all get a piece of garbage, the end result is "too bad, it's a fine unit, we just have to add this little gizmo to keep from burning up the rig".

John

So John, do you really expect them to forego their 5th amendment rights? I know they're 'on the other side', but you gotta admit that they're smart in 'remaining silent'.

This latest recall was their only way out, and it's a dern good one....IMO

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

barlow46

Edgewater, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/10 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All they gotta do to make most people happy would be to put the "fix" on the unit and then guarantee a new unit if the fix causes the unit to shut down within say 7 years. If the unit is as good as they say, then there should be few shutdowns and they could somewhat restore confidence in their company. Fat chance.......

2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' ISL 400; Tag Axle; Residential Refrig (sold)
2004 F450, 6.0 auto, 4:30 pumpkin; BrakeSmart; 50 gal aux.tank, 2008 Mobile Suites RE3.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> NORCOLD RECALL
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS