|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Smog Devices in California

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
RayChez

Barstow, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/10 05:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was reading an article where a lot of big truck owners were very upset with new legislation in California because all big diesel trucks have to have smog devices installed by 2014 which cost lots of money to install.
Now my question is, do diesel pusher coaches fall into that category?

2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2013 Honda CR-V EX
Aventa II
FMCA member

Dolph

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/10 08:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know the answer but do know that this subject has come up before on this forum..If you google "diesel smog devices in CA" you will see the response I just mentioned, plus other info.. Good luck.

CarlGeo

Central San Joaquin Valley, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/10 08:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At this time the regulations that require trucks and off-road diesels to be replaced with non-polluting engines, exempts motor coaches.

However, we must look at our regulators history. When ever the camel gets its nose in the tent, its only a matter of time intil the entire camel is in the tent!

I believe within a few years ALL diesel engines will have to conform to the non-polluting regulations. We need to BEWARE of the current proposed regulations because they will ultimately whack us too.

RayChez

Barstow, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/10 10:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CarlGeo wrote:

At this time the regulations that require trucks and off-road diesels to be replaced with non-polluting engines, exempts motor coaches.

However, we must look at our regulators history. When ever the camel gets its nose in the tent, its only a matter of time intil the entire camel is in the tent!

I believe within a few years ALL diesel engines will have to conform to the non-polluting regulations. We need to BEWARE of the current proposed regulations because they will ultimately whack us too.

Thanks Carl.
I thought that is what I had seen on the news on television, but they didn't say anything about diesel coaches. I sure hope they don't pass anything like that for coaches.

knparker

Vacaville,CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/10 11:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's my understanding also that motorhomes are exempt, at least for now. I work in a large fleet shop and we have had to install some very expensive exhaust particulate traps on all of the older trucks. Some we decided to just auction off and replace with new rigs as the modification was cost prohibitive to the age of the truck. Some were able to get an exemption on if they are driven less than 1K mi/yr (local construction units).

We also had to replace several of the pony engines and diesel compressor trailers with units that meet the standards. A real PITA and a whole lot of money.

The exhaust modifications FWIW run between 15 to 25K per unit. Lets hope they leave the RV industry alone regarding these mods. A whole lot of folks out there will be impacted.

'05 Bigfoot 30MH24DB
'07 Subaru Forester toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Smog Devices in California
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS