|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Pet Wellness - Temperature/ Power Outage Alarm

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
chuggs

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/10 12:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well...I finally got off my duff and ordered a couple of devices that will hopefully protect my two Samoyed pups when we go camping.

Our routine when camping involves a long walk and romp early morning and late afternoon/evening with our dogs. They, however, like to spend time napping during the day. This gives us the opportunity to put them in their crates, and go out biking, kayaking, sightseeing, shopping, dining...whatever for a few hours during the day.

The problem is...I've always spent a lot of my leisure time worrying about them --- what if the circuit breaker pops, the campground loses power, the air conditioner craps out... Would the temperature inside our rv go up to 100 degrees (which is what it does sitting in the back yard during the summer). Our fur kids wouldn't last very long at 100 degrees F.

So, I ordered a cellphone link and a Freeze Alarm from amazon.com.

The cellphone link (BT-215) hooks a bluetooth enabled cellphone up to hardwired telephony devices.

The Freeze Alarm (FA-I-CCA) will allow us to program an alarm temp and will call one of our other phones thru the bluetooth link.

I plan on using a small UPS (back-up power supply) to enable the BT-215 to continue working during a power outage for a reasonable ammount of time.

It will be comforting to know that if an alarm condition occurs --- we'll be notified and can come back to the campground immediately and rescue our pups from the heat. Cold --- not so much. I think these sled dogs can handle being in the cold for a while...but I am really concerned about cooking them in the summer if the a/c fails.

I'll post results after I hook everthing up to see if it's working well together or not.

Goldencrazy

madison wi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/10 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That looks like a perfect device. I have been looking for something like this for years. I use freeze alarms at home and cottage when not occupied during cold times. The alarms will also set for high end and advise when electric is out for a pre-programmed amount of time. You can also call them and check the temp. They sell cellular based alarms but they were very expensive. I used to use a sound activated automatic answer cell phone and leave the tv on. If tv was not making noise my electric was out. This would be much better and the way I understand it we could leave one of our cell phones hooked to the alarm through this device and then have it programmed to call the other. Let us know how it works. Thanks.

dturm

Munster, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/10 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen similar devices, but have never acted. The ones you post look excellent and I look forward to your review.

Doug

Doug & Sandy
Jill (12yr old Golden)
Henry our camping cat
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

Chuck&Gail

In the Colorado Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/10 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just remember if you do not have cell service, it will not work.

Lots of places we go have no service.

Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

USA Traveler

Lewisville, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/10 05:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a great idea, will probably get one, based on the feedback you provide when you have had a chance to see how it works.

Cody Dillon & Chanel Dion (Maltese)
2005 SunnyBrook Titan 31, BWKS
2007 Dodge Dually
Chunky,Cassie,Corky,Cammie-Maltese at Rainbow Bridge
Tinky-Gray Tabbie - Rainbow Bridge

More To See

San Diego Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/26/10 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are options out there for those of us who travel with pets and don't want to leave them at risk.

We traveled over through Texas and the Louisiana Gulf Coast for a couple months starting mid August and used a similar setup to alarm via cell phone call out. I had installed what is actually a home alarm system with a cell phone circuit board included to call out via either text messaging or (optionally) voice messages.

Having that alarm system provided a tremendous sense of relief when leaving the mutts alone for a while. Even so we never wandered farther from the rig than it would take to get back before temperature could rise too high.

95 Winnebago Vectra 34 (P30/454)

dturm

Munster, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/10 10:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 2008 Southwind is Black/silver, white rubber roof. I think the insulation is better than our previous blue/white one. The air conditioners work way better too. I don't think the color is a big issue for us.

Doug

Deb and Ed M

SW MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/10 09:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a question, along this thread's line of thought: Do the newer full-body-paint RV's (which are so often a dark color) heat up hotter/faster in the sun?

I've not worried about my dogs when left for a few hours, because it takes quite a while for our plain white (sun-reflecting) Class C to get uncomfortably warm. But I see these beautiful black or dark brown Class A's - and I wonder what those are like sitting in the sun? Surely the walls are no thicker or more insulated than my Class C....so the Solar Gain *might* be an issue?

Essie2Go

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/10 11:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a brilliant invention. We also worry about heat when we leave them in the trailer on a hot day. We had the air conditioner installed for the dogs and don't really trust it :-) I'll have to look into that!

17 ft Escape Travel trailer
Toyota Tacoma

chuggs

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/10 02:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey gang,

Just got back from Disney's Ft. Wilderness. I recieved the Cobra PhoneLynx and the Intermediate Freeze Alarm units from Amazon.com right before leaving...so I didn't have time to get the stuff to hard-wire the PhoneLynx directly to the RV's 12vdc system. Will get around to that now that I'm home.

I tested the two devices hooked together and tethered to my cellphone. We used my wifes cellphone as the contact number for an ALARM notification.

The PhoneLynx was very easy to pair to my bluetooth phone. The instructions that came with the unit were very easy to understand.

I then set out to "Program" the Freeze Alarm. The unit comes with a 110vac wall adapter, a temp probe, and a section of phone cord which gets attached to the PhoneLynx bluetooth dailer. You need to supply a 9v battery and have an old phone handset to help with the programming. The phone handset plugs into the front of the freeze alarm, with the unit set to standby --- and when you pickup the handset there is a digital voice menu which steps you through the setup. There are also some hardware settings that you can set by positioning a row of tiny dip switches on the back of the unit. I set the ANSWER ON # rings to two... I set the notify of power failure to 2 minutes...I set the security code to my campsite number...set the phone number to call --- to my wife's cellphone...and left the temperature setpoint at the default of 45 degrees...

We called the unit from the park to check on the puppies. The Freeze Alarm tells you the temperature, the power state, and the voltage of the 9v backup battery.

The third night in the park...my wife's cellphone rang at 1:05am. It was the FREEZE ALARM unit telling us that the RV's temperature had fallen to the setpoint of 45 degrees. I put on some clothes...went out to investigate. It turns out our RV's automatic LP changeover valve failed to switch tanks...and the furnace had gone out. I swapped the tanks around and got the furnace fired back up before returning to bed. This thing is really cool.

Although, I bought the unit to warn me of HIGH TEMPS during the summer in case the air conditioning goes out...or the shore power trips off... I now see the advantages to having it during cold weather as well...

I give the two devices a big thumbs up!!

I hope that you find the Freeze Alarm (FA-I-CCA) and the PhoneLynx (BT-215) help you to protect your Fur Kids...when they're left alone in the RV for a while. I know it's a huge piece of mind for me... I can call it for status updates...and get a ALERT notification if something happens that needs attention. Now I'll be able to enjoy that free time a little more --- not having to worry so much about the pups.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> Pet Wellness - Temperature/ Power Outage Alarm
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS