|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Norcold is no more cold

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/10 05:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Lots of folks are replacing with 120 volt residential units. I'd prefer to do that myself.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/10 06:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

woodman1 wrote:

I called my buddy and he is interested in the Amish cooling unit. How big a job is it to replace? Do you need to remove unit from camper?
The fridge needs to be removed to get at the cooling unit. I did the changeout in the rig living room. Once out I took my doors off (Model 1210IM), lay it down on it's face and replaced the unit. I'd call it about an 8 hour job for me, going VERY slowly, marking all wires and locations, etc. Then I added an additional cooling fan, rewired a switch to allow me to activate the fans with either the automatic feature or a bypass feature, and re-installed the compartment baffling to exactly as the installation instructions specify. It hadn't been originally installed that way. I am MOST pleased with the new cooling unit and the results. The fridge maintains 35 deg. on setting 2 (almost the warmest), cooled to operating temp in 3.5 hours, the new unit has obviously larger condensers and evaporators, and has larger tubing and is heavier and stiffer overall.

This thread is probably the best for an overall view of the process NORCOLD THREAD

John

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

The Texan

Home ... Toquerville, UT .. Summer ... Cascade, ID

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/10 07:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dennis Henderson wrote:

The Texan wrote:

His other option is to change out to a residential unit and there are at least 2 well recommended companies in Lakeland, that will do the change out and necessary cabinetry work to have a factory appearance.

Would you list, please, for others who might be interested?

Dennis and Cindy Henderson
fulltiming, currently in the Florida Keys at Long Key State Park
Dennis, the best known is Classic Coach Works and the other I was referring to was, Mac's RV repair, who worked for some of the top line companies there in the Tampa area for years. I have not used either of these places, but have seen their work and it was impressive. There is also several more in the Lakeland area, but I don't recall the names right now.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

FreeByrd

Alway Movin' - Benson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/10 12:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JUrban and Cloud Dancer. . .

Just joined the Forum this morning and also just received my replacement Norcold 1200 Amish Cooling unit.

Do either of you have any photos of your fan installations on the new Amish Cooling Unit. Was wondering where you put them and how you were able to secure them to the unit.

Could you touch on any other "issues" you might have had during the removal and reinstall ?

Many Thanks

2003 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax/Allison w/ Exhaust Brake
2006 37' KZ Escalade 3 Slide Sportster w/ AM Solar System

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/10 06:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you pull out your 1200 out you'll find 2 fans mounted in a slightly indented sheet metal plate. The Amish unit will have the same indent so a couple of self drilling screws will enable you to put each into the recess. Since I put in a third fan, I reversed the mounting angle so it pointed down on the original two, and slipped them behind the top lip of the recess. I put a small dab of silicon on each corner and supported the outside edge with a turn of safety wire to an upper support. The new, right side fan (outside the pan) I fastened to the RH support with a sheet metal bracket I made. Supported it to the top with another turn of safety wire and a couple of more dabs of silicon. Sorry I don't have any pix, but I was working in a limited space in a dark building.

My old Norcold had a newer model PC board and the board had fixed DC points going to the heat sensor mounted on the bottom of the boiler. This was not the latest recall sensor. I didn't have that one done. When I checked the sensor with a meter it showed normally closed (and I presumed it went open if there was an overheat). Because of this, I presumed the circuit would shut down the board if it saw an open, so I jumpered the two points on the board when I threw out the sensor. My technique seemed to work as the system worked OK. It might have worked OK without the jumper, but I didn't want to spring for a new board if I guessed wrong.

Good luck with your install. I also had to trim a bit of foam on the bottom of the new cooling unit to allow it to go all the way in. About 3 dry fits before I used the thermal goo. I did buy 2 additional tubes of goo to use as the instructions say, as the foam they furnish is very sticky, and I didn't want to glue the cooling unit in so tight I couldn't remove it.

John

gatorcq

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/10 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just too many pages to read to view the process of replacing the cooling unit. Sorry

Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 08 Jeep Liberty
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600Ws MPPT, 2800Ws Inv/Chg, 660AH
Alfa SeYa 2003, CAT 3126E 330Hp (Previous)
DaGirslRV Blog

Canadian Rainbirds

Vancouver Island (Winter: Mainland Mexico)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/02/10 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours of course falls into the new recall group. May just do the Amish cooling unit instead if I can find one on the way home to BC from Mexico.

Anyone have any idea how critical the latest recall is? Is there a real risk or is this a Cover Your Ass thing? There is no way we can get the recall done here in Mexico and I really don't want to by a fridge here, as I couldn't bring it back with us. Nor could we really do without a fridge. In these temps, milk would last about 6 hours!

The Texan

Home ... Toquerville, UT .. Summer ... Cascade, ID

View Profile

Posted: 12/02/10 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMHO, it is nothing more than a band-aid CYA as their law suits were starting to mount up. They are so well prepared, that they do not even have the parts to ship to dealers. They are telling dealers today that the earliest they can expect shipment is 12/22 or later. So much for turn your fridge off until the band-aid is applied. The distributor for the Amish unit is in Memphis TN and you could stop by there and pick one up, or even stop in the Elkhart area at the factory, if it is not to far out of the way. I am having one shipped to the RV repair shop in Bend OR that we use, for installation in the spring.

FreeByrd

Alway Movin' - Benson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/10 01:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just completed the install of the new Amish Cooling Unit from David Force into our Norcold 1200 LRIM in our 5'ers "Slide Out". I added a 3rd fan installing it in the harness with 2 fans on one line and 1 fan on the other. Unit cools REALLY WELL but when the fans come on, I get a "dc rE" Error on the front panel but only while they run. When they shut down, the error clears.

Have searched the web to no avail. I do have a Dinosaur Power board in it that I added this past summer. Could their be a circuit monitoring the draw of the fans looking for a change in the normal 1.9 amp draw that the original 2 fans would have produced? [emoticon]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Norcold is no more cold
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS