|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> ford ecoboost, in the long run

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 21  
Next
Sponsored By:
trailernovice

Mission TX

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/10 10:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Read some posts about the new v6 ecoboost from ford...my understanding (may be wrong) is that it generates its power through, in part, turbocharging...am i right? If so, looking back to the 80's (when I was in my prime), you'd see everything from a mercedes sedan to a nissan sporting a 'turbo' logo on the trunk...all those turbocharged gas engines went by the wayside...not sure if it ended up being a passing fad, or the manufacturers couldn't solve the reliability riddle for a component spinning that fast, or what...
before i would jump into a new-technology engine like that, sure would like to see that it's been proven on the road for a few years...
just a thought

Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2016 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/10 11:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Except the Eco-Boost engine is not some 1980's half baked attempt at turbocharging! And it ain't just a fad...

This is a engine developed in Europe and the USA by Ford engineers, for global Ford cars and trucks. With dual turbos, spinning up to 200,000 rpm, so there is virtually no turbo lag when running up to boost. Direct into the firing chamber fuel delivery. 1.6 million miles of torture testing in a F-150, and available in 4 cylinder or as a V-6...it has the horsepower and 350 lbs of torque of a bigger V8, yet sips fuel (19 city/21 hwy in the new Explorer).

All 4 new 2011 Ford vehicles with the new Eco-Boost including the Mustang, have the best in class gas mileage...with an average improvement over the outgoing engines of 20%.

Ford says by 2013, EcoBoost technology will power up to 1.3 million vehicles annually worldwide. It's more efficient than a diesel, gets diesel like mileage, has better power to weigh ratios, and uses a cheaper fuel.

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. ">

surveyorjp

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/10 11:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If Ford said by 2013 the primary exhaust product of their ecoboost engines would be ten dollar bills, some folks would take it as gospel. [emoticon]

Time will tell. Something spinning at 200,000 rpm does not inspire long term confidence to me, especially when used for hard working purposes. [emoticon]

Definately an interesting concept, that may be the way all gas engines go at some point. I know GM and Chrysler are also working on similar powerplants to be released in the very near future. The Chrysler Pentastar v6 will have several variants with direct injection and turbo charging as well.

Interesting times!

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. Popup shopping

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/10 12:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Ford says by 2013, EcoBoost technology will power up to 1.3 million vehicles annually worldwide. It's more efficient than a diesel, gets diesel like mileage, has better power to weigh ratios, and uses a cheaper fuel.

Link?
More efficient than a diesel? How does that work?

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/10 12:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Compared with the current cost of diesel and hybrid technologies, customers in North America can expect to recoup their initial investment in a 4-cylinder EcoBoost engine through fuel savings in approximately 30 months. A diesel in North America will take an average of seven and one-half years, while the cost of a hybrid will take nearly 12 years to recoup – given equivalent miles driven per year and fuel costs,” said Derrick Kuzak, Ford’s group vice president of Global Product Development. "Relative to the power output and fuel efficiency of hybrid and diesel technologies, Ford sees EcoBoost as an affordable and versatile alternative and intends on using it extensively in future vehicle applications."

65% of the vehicles European's drive are diesel. Here, Diesel is more expensive than gasoline.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/10 04:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

and we;ll all wait and see, 200k is alot of turns ,and why is most of europe still driving diesels? I"D rather have a V6 diesel in my F150 than the gas hog 5.4.or a not time proven echo boost.

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/10 05:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

and we;ll all wait and see, 200k is alot of turns ,and why is most of europe still driving diesels? I"D rather have a V6 diesel in my F150 than the gas hog 5.4.or a not time proven echo boost.

Hi,

Customers have been able to get the turbocharged 3.5L V6 in the Taurus for a couple of years. It is only offered in the all wheel drive Taurus, my brother has one. He lives in Detroit, and all wheel drive is almost required in the deep snow.

The engine is reliable, just not been on the road for dozens of years like the old 460" V8 in my motorhome, that is factory rated at 225 HP. The 3.5L is factory rated at 365 HP and probably ahs as much torque, and is getting better MPG than the non turbocharged engine it is replacing.

Turbocharging is not new to gas engines. Direct injection of diesel fuel is very old school. Combinding gas direct injection and turbocharging has proven to be a miles per gallon and emmissions winner. Ford is producing thousands of these engines each month, and will reach the goal of 1,300,000 engines on the road next year.

If I was in the market for a new truck, it would be difficult to pass up the higher MPG and power of the direct injection V6.

By the way, turbochargers spinning 30,000 + RPM is nothing new. They are designed to do that, and more. Peak turbo speed of 200,000 seems a little bit of an over-estimate.

Fred.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/10 05:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turbo charging is far from "new technology" as every diesel on the highway today (well almost every) is turbo charged. One of the big advantages of the Ecoburst gasoline engine over a diesel is the power to weight ratio. Diesels by their very nature require high compression and heavily built engines. Look at the modern pick up trucks where diesel is one option and gasoline is the other. the models with the diesel engine actually have lower payload figures than the gasoline models. Even my own F-150 has a higher payload than my diesel powered F-250 (by a couple of hundred pounds) though that's not ALL because of the engine weight, it's a contributing factor.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/10 06:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Direct gasoline injection and turbo-charging may well dominate the market in a few years as the power and efficiency they can produce is astounding

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

hone eagle

essex ontario canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/10 07:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fordsooperdooty wrote:

Except the Eco-Boost engine is not some 1980's half baked attempt at turbocharging! And it ain't just a fad...

This is a engine developed in Europe and the USA by Ford engineers, for global Ford cars and trucks. With dual turbos, spinning up to 200,000 rpm, so there is virtually no turbo lag when running up to boost. Direct into the firing chamber fuel delivery. 1.6 million miles of torture testing in a F-150, and available in 4 cylinder or as a V-6...it has the horsepower and 350 lbs of torque of a bigger V8, yet sips fuel (19 city/21 hwy in the new Explorer).

All 4 new 2011 Ford vehicles with the new Eco-Boost including the Mustang, have the best in class gas mileage...with an average improvement over the outgoing engines of 20%.

You forgot oil cooled pistons :-)

2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 21  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> ford ecoboost, in the long run
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS