|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> backup camera for TT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Deewayne

Metro Denver, Co

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/10 10:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not go with a wireless system?

I too already have a monitor in the cab of the TV.

I told DW I wanted a back-up cam for Christmas. She told me I'd have to buy it myself as she knows nothing about them.

I surfed all over the internet and found very few systems that came without a monitor, so I decided to buy the parts and build my own system.

I wanted a system where the camera could be mounted below the rear obstruction lights.

I ordered the camera and a set of 2.4ghz 1W transmitters/receiver off of eBay.

Here is the link for the camera: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330504011049

Here is the link for the link for the tx/rx units: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250722282761

The only draw back with these units is they are shipped from Hong Kong and could take 3 - 3 1/2 weeks for delivery.

Dewayne & Linda

Amateur Radio - ??DLH, Wife - ??LLH

2006 Chevy 2500HD, LBZ.
1992 24 ft. Fleetwood Wilderness

The stars seem closer when sitting around a campfire.

b_salgado

Salisbury ,NC,USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/10 11:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if that system would work with multiple cameras though. How would you switch from one to the other? Run all three at the same frequency? The one on the truck would run all the time, When I hooked up to the trailers, they would have to over ride the truck somehow. If it was hardwired, I could cut in a switch and flip back and forth between truck and trailer.

04 Lariat Supercrew 4x4,5.4,3.73, Edge tuner, flowmaster duals
06 Trail Bay 31BH, nicely optioned
Equal-i-zer
Prodigy
Follow vehicle, 05 KIA Sorento EX for the golden retrievers.

Sun and Fun

New Port Richey, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/22/10 08:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DRV Mobile Suites installs the Zone Defense system as an option on their fifth wheels. Here is the manufacture link http://www.zonedefensetruck.com/en/ It does not appear they sell retail, but a quick Google search pulled up a few suppliers. When I spoke to a DRV representative they would install side cameras if desired to aid in backing and watching blind spots. I don't own one yet, but have been looking at the Mobile Suites and researching some of the options such as the back-up camera system they offer.

* This post was edited 12/22/10 09:11pm by Sun and Fun *

pkunk

Questa, NM

View Profile

Posted: 12/22/10 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My post above from the Ebay vendor would solve all those problems. In addition, the night vision is superb. Wireless sucks compared to the picture quality you get with a quality wired system.

1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH

Deewayne

Metro Denver, Co

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/10 02:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

b_salgado wrote:

I don't know if that system would work with multiple cameras though. How would you switch from one to the other? Run all three at the same frequency? The one on the truck would run all the time, When I hooked up to the trailers, they would have to over ride the truck somehow. If it was hardwired, I could cut in a switch and flip back and forth between truck and trailer.

You would have to buy a total of 3 Transmitters. There is a switch on each Transmitter (4 frequencies total) you set for the one you want.

You would have to have the receiver in a location that you can reach so you could select the cam you wanted to see.

You can buy transmitter by there self if you search for them

Good luck

b_salgado

Salisbury ,NC,USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/20/10 03:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like my idea of hardwiring better.... then I just have to flip a switch to change from truck camera to trailer camera.

Onespeed405

Calgary, Alberta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/10 11:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is the link to the system I installed. Hard wired, put one on truck license plate to use when unhitched and one on trailer license plate. Real happy with it. Color camera and monitor, wonderful night vision, microphone on camera to hear the DW.

http://www.rearviewsafety.com/products/rvs-770613-rear-view-camera-system-2.html

Methodology:

I purchased a special metal hole drill bit that drills holes in various diameters and used it to punch the hole in the side of the truck bed (had to be 7/8 of an inch). Then used the same bit to drill holes in the bottom of floor in the truck to run the camera cables, those holes had to be 5/8 of an inch to accommodate the supplied rubber grommets. Ran all wires under the truck and up into the cab. I installed the video control box under the back seat. It is a little larger than a pack of cigarettes.

I mounted the 7" video screen on a block of wood covered with felt and pushed it into a little shelf area. I did not have the heart to start drilling holes in my dash or putting a never come off double sided tape on the dash. Since it is not permanently mounted, this also allows me to hide the video screen when I am parked at a mall.

The guy that sold me the system showed me his installation. He had one camera mounted on the bumper of his trailer and the other camera on the upper back side of the cab of his truck so he can see his fifth wheel hitch when he is hooking up. I don't need to do that, I can see mine fine. I have no bumper on my trailer so I used a license plate mount and put both cameras on my license plates.

On his trailer, he was also able to run the camera cable through his storage compartment then under the white paneling under the front of the trailer (which is also the bedroom floor) keeping the cable hidden. Again, I was not able to do this since all of that area on my trailer is sealed up tighter than a fiddler's fart, so I had to surface mount the wire. Looks okay. Then I ran the wire through the back of the king pin hitch and up through an existing rubber grommet. I made a mounting bracket out of angle iron, spray painted it flat black and glued it to the king pin hitch with J.B. Weld. He warned me not to attempt to cut the cable and splice it back together, it will not work. You just need to coil up the extra cable and tuck it away somewhere.

System works great, I can switch between cameras with a button on the video screen and the camera on the trailer has a microphone, so I can hear DW speaking to me while I am backing up. Volume control is on the monitor.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

* This post was last edited 12/26/10 03:38pm by Onespeed405 *   View edit history

2005 Chev 3500 Duramax/Allison Ext Cab SRW 4x4 Long Box
Blue Ox Bedsaver, Hawkshead TPMS, Rear View Camera System
2007 Citation Supreme 31CKDS
220 W solar, 2800 W Magnasine pure sinewave inverter/charger/battery monitor, 4x6 volt deep cycle, Rotochoks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> backup camera for TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS