|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Propane leak issues

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Thomascampers

Houston

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/10 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As someone new to RV's this has been an extremely interesting string. I have enjoyed all of the insight members have given. I am going to get one of my propane tanks filled for the first time and I will be sure to buy a can of leak detection.

Thanks again!

Lane and Betty Thomas
Ms Candy (poodle mix)
Houston,TX
2011 Nissan Titan
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 22FB
Ezlift WD

leghorn204

center of the continent

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/10 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thomascampers wrote:

As someone new to RV's this has been an extremely interesting string. I have enjoyed all of the insight members have given. I am going to get one of my propane tanks filled for the first time and I will be sure to buy a can of leak detection.

Thanks again!

Just mix 50/50 liquid dishwashing soap and water in a small jar. Use a cheap 1/2" brush to apply the solution to the connections you wish to test, if its leaking you'll see the bubbles. Nix on the Windex it will corrode copper or brass.

leghorn204

center of the continent

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/10 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wmd239 wrote:

Hey guys, im having some issues with my propane lines now. I recently hooked up a catalytic heater, now my problem is after i made the connections i smell propane inside the rig.

the real funny part is i left the propane tank closed (turned off) all last night and it still smells like propane in there. So it seems its leaking even with the main valve closed???

i put the yellow gas tape on all the lines, but im thinking i didnt put enough tape on the connections?

have any of you guys ran into something like this?

You don't say where you use the catalytic heater, I hope its not inside your RV!!!

beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/10 10:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

leghorn204 wrote:

You don't say where you use the catalytic heater, I hope its not inside your RV!!!

It probably wouldn't do much good outside the RV!

A poor man seeks riches, a rich man seeks power, but a wise man seeks contentment.

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

wmd239

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/10 11:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

leghorn204 wrote:

well, yes. I thought thats how heaters were sposed to be used. but ive been wrong on alot of things and could be wrong on this on too?
do you care to explain your question a little more?

leghorn204

center of the continent

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/10 01:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wmd239 wrote:

leghorn204 wrote:

well, yes. I thought thats how heaters were sposed to be used. but ive been wrong on alot of things and could be wrong on this on too?
do you care to explain your question a little more?

Propane like natural gas produces carbon monoxide when burned. If your unit is made to vent the gases outside (permanent installation) you are OK. If it sits in the rv without a flue to vent the gas you can go from being quite sick to death.

javaseuf

California's Gold Coast

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/10 11:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wmd239 wrote:

ok im very confused at this point, please excuse the ignorance. but where exactly are you putting this outside? i have a Olympian wave heater and says to crack two windows to keep proper ventilation. it does not say anything about putting it outside?

The outside comment was a little sarchasim.

leghorn204

center of the continent

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/10 07:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not again!

Clearly javaseuf is annoyed that this subject should again appear in "Beginning RVing". Clearly javaseuf is a seasoned camper and has done it all, however there is a sizeable group of newbies looking for tips, that's why they are perusing "Beginning RVing" forum.

Catalytic heaters, if in good repair, used in well ventilated areas and used per mfg's instructions are said to be safe. In simple general terms products (as mentioned) Blue Flame and several others are lumped in with catalytic heaters. Unfortunately far too many consumers don't read manuals and directions. All these devices come with warnings and some States ban them from being used indoors, Mas. for one. Very simply, caution is required where and how these heaters are used!

We use a directional catalytic, outdoors, to warm our backs when sitting around a fire on cool nights.

As to the original subject the PO wrote about, leaking propane hose, that would fall under the subject,"in good repair". If the PO would good enough to reply, What do you use as a source of the propane?

javaseuf

California's Gold Coast

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/10 02:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not again!

Catalytic heaters are fine to use inside if they are designed to be used inside with a Oxygen Depletion Sensor and then operated with the proper ventilation according to the manufacturers specs AND with a properly operating Co detector.

BTW, I said CATALYTIC heaters. These have been proven to give off very little carbon monoxide at dangerous levels. The issue is not Co but the depletion of interior oxygen.

Also know that the Blue flame, ceramic brick-type and Mr. Heater Buddy heaters are NOT catalytic heaters and do produce a higher level of Co than the catalytic heaters such as the Olympian/Camco Wave heaters (which I have used for many years).

But I have to agree with the response above that if you that the safest way to use a heater is to place it outside!

wmd239

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/10 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ok im very confused at this point, please excuse the ignorance. but where exactly are you putting this outside? i have a Olympian wave heater and says to crack two windows to keep proper ventilation. it does not say anything about putting it outside?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Propane leak issues
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS