|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Best MPG camping rig for two people

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Snowman9000

IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/10 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile, what MPG do you get towing with the Vibe/Aliner? I realize it doesn't meet all the criteria I mentioned.

2014 Sunseeker 2300 Class C (Chevy 4500)

beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/10 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Snowman9000 wrote:

beemerphile, what MPG do you get towing with the Vibe/Aliner? I realize it doesn't meet all the criteria I mentioned.

In 3,500 miles of towing last year my mileage was somewhere between 22 and 23 mpg. I have kept track of every tank since purchase but I don't remember the exact number. Those miles included numerous trips in and over the Appalachians but I've never been to the Rockies with the rig.

I'm a lot closer to your criteria than a motorcycle, bicycle, or hiking like some have posted.

My Aliner has;
Furnace
Three burner stove
Three way refrigerator
Microwave
Air Conditioning
Dinette that folds to a queen size bed
Water heater
Outside shower
I use a Porta Potti, it doesn't have a built in toilet although some larger models do.
I also have to use a waste water tote because it doesn't have a waste tank.

My Vibe normally gets 27 - 28 mpg city and over 30 highway not towing. I have never made a long enough trip to burn a tank on the highway without towing.

On the other hand my E150 gets 7 - 8 mpg while towing the Weekend Warrior.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it..."
Judge Learned Hand

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

Snowman9000

IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/10 02:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

Do you mean weight? On the most recent trip my actual loaded trailer weight was 1,960 pounds. (280# on tongue and 1,680# on axle) It towed like a dream. That was fresh water, groceries, and all camping gear.

I have installed an auxiliary stacked plate transmission cooler in the car for extra protection.

Tonight I am looking at a 2007 Aliner Classic which is two feet longer than my Aliner Sport. It weighs slightly more but has less tongue weight, and more space.

There is another guy on this forum (sushidog)who has towed an Aliner LXE with a Chevrolet Cobalt for several years.

Yes, sorry, I meant weight. Did GM provide a tow rating for the Vibe and Cobalt, or do you just have to wing it? I have an HHR, which is a Cobalt chassis. I guess I could just get the manual and look. :-)

Snowman9000

IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/10 10:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would you say you're maxed out with the Vibe?

beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/10 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Snowman9000 wrote:

Would you say you're maxed out with the Vibe?

Do you mean weight? On the most recent trip my actual loaded trailer weight was 1,960 pounds. (280# on tongue and 1,680# on axle) It towed like a dream. That was fresh water, groceries, and all camping gear.

I have installed an auxiliary stacked plate transmission cooler in the car for extra protection.

Tonight I am looking at a 2007 Aliner Classic which is two feet longer than my Aliner Sport. It weighs slightly more but has less tongue weight, and more space.

There is another guy on this forum (sushidog)who has towed an Aliner LXE with a Chevrolet Cobalt for several years.

Shearwater

NE Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/10 12:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

We spent new for what we have about 2/3 the cost of a new Sprinter motorhome. The rig we have gets 9-10 mpg ... the Sprinter would have gotten about 16-18 mpg.

The payback to go the more expensive Sprinter route will NEVER be realized in gas savings.

In return we have a lot more interior room comfort, more convenient access to maintenance, larger tank capacities, better access to fuel sources, greater excess carrying capacity, and larger towing capacities.

At current prices, the difference between 22 mpg and 10 mpg is around $25,000 over 100,000 miles. If fuel prices go up so does the differential. Your statement is certainly true if you don't put many miles on your unit but we currently have about 65,000 miles on ours.

In practice, access to maintenance and fuel is not a problem.

For us, the freedom to go anywhere we want and to not have to drive a behemoth make up for the lack of size.

beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/10 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Snowman9000 wrote:

...Did GM provide a tow rating for the Vibe and Cobalt, or do you just have to wing it? I have an HHR, which is a Cobalt chassis. I guess I could just get the manual and look. :-)

The recommended Vibe tow rating from GM in the USA is 1,500 pounds. In the UK my car is rated at 2,200# with brakes and 1,300# without brakes. Same car different country. Honestly I take car tow ratings with a grain of salt anyhow. The ratings are written by the bean counters and lawyers, not engineers. If written by the engineers they would remain the same around the world rather than change for different countries.

I don't know what the tow ratings are on Cobalts or HHRs. Check your manual and also go online and check the UK ratings, I bet they are higher.

BTW the Vibe is a GM product only in name. Under the skin it is 100% Toyota, made in California at the NUMMI plant. The powertrain is identical to the Corolla and Matrix.

sixpants

Akron, OH

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/10 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 1982 Toyota Dolphin meets all the requirements. Well, it's not mine anymore. 4 speed manual. Hardly any power. But it got 15-17 from Ohio to California and back. Fun to drive too.

Loved that rig...

wandering1

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/10 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Motorcycle with two wheel camper trailer.

HR

Rodger with a "D"

COS

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/10 10:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello To All

I can't take the silence from me any longer.

Last summer we put a Draw-Tite Hitch on our 1999
SL2 Saturn ( the only made hitch by them that fits
any Saturn from 1991 to 2001 ). From here in
Colo Sprgs to Springfield, Illinous it cost $74
and some change in fuel. That is 940 miles from
our home to the State Fair Grounds.

We pulled a 870 pound 1981 Starcraft XL 1505. The
1981 Starcraft Dealers Sales Brochure states to add
$1.08 per 100 miles ( 1981 gas price average )to
what your vehicle gets ( per 100 miles ).

For the same trip home the cost was an additional
$5.00 . The max speed on the 75 MPH Inter-States
was at 67 MPH. While on slower Hwy's I drove the same
speeds as the 18 Wheeler's.

When the 12 inch tires that are on the unit now
wear out, I'll got to the 13 inch Radials.

Rodger & Gabby
COS

Rodger & Gabby
COS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Best MPG camping rig for two people
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts