|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Koni FSD shocks installed

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bellsharbor

Highlands Ranch, Colorado USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/11 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Bob--I have been waiting for someone to install Koni's on the newer Ford chassis. I installed them on my 2002 Journey and was very pleased. My '09 Sunstar is on a 2008 Ford chassis and I too am looking to improve the ride. What tire pressure were you running before you added the Koni shocks? I am not familiar with the Mor/Ride; did you put the new shocks on the rear also? And did you try 4 new shocks before the Mor/Ride was added? Thanks for any info--this is great! John

John and Marion Bell
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
2009 Winnebago/Itasca Sunstar 30B/Ford F-53 V10
2008 Honda CRV EX-L

Goldencrazy

madison wi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/11 10:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John, I was running 80 rear, 75 front. I only installed front. I didn't make any changes other than the steer safe steering stabilizer which I added at purchase. The Mor/Ryde is an interesting sytem that provides more give and softens ride. It also stiffened performance. Go to their web site to learn more but basically it works by freeing the connection where springs are hung on the chassis and adding some rubber leaf springs. I doubt the shocks would have been as good as the Mor/ Ryde but would be a lot cheaper.

LVJ58

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/11 01:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John, along with installing the FSD's you might consider adding the Firestone Ride-Rite air bags on your Ford chassis. Last August I added the Ride-Rites on all 4 corners of our coach and run 60psi in rear and 25-30psi in front. The air bags further enhanced the ride comfort. I opted to have the bags installed rather than do it myself. The total cost of the bags & installation was $1,248. I only have the FSD's on the front with Koni adjustable shocks on rear. In the future I plan to replace the rear adjustable shocks with the FSD's.

Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

phillips1202

Novi, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/11 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too have installed Koni's on two different Ford chassis (E450 and F53). I couldn't tell much difference from Bilsteins. The real difference was accomplished by Mor/Ryde in both front and rear on the F53. Koni's may have improved from 2008, but I expect the FSD's were the same then as now (maybe not).
Nothing is inexpensive with this hobby/lifestyle. I invested in a DP in 2010, and probably would never move back to a Ford chassis.

Goldencrazy

madison wi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/11 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too love the Mor/ryde and wish I could have gotten it for the front. I can say the Koni FSD's are much different than the Bilsteins so perhaps they have been improved.

bellsharbor

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/11 11:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob--what brand of tires do you have on your coach? I am running with Goodyear and am not sure how the Continental tire stacks up. They seem very similar. Thanks again for posting your information. John

Goldencrazy

madison wi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/11 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Goodyear. Original tires. I only have 4800 miles on the coach so everything is new. I am now investigating whether the stiff bilsteins may be inhibiting the Mor/ryde from doing the best job and thinking about installing the koni fsd on rear as well. It improved a lot with the Mor/ryde but maybe I can get better with a softer shock. I will concentrate on the rear when I travel in a couple of weeks. I think the front is as good as I can get it unless Mor/ryde comes up with a way to install the system on the front of this chassis to work around the tranny. The tires are 19.5.

bellsharbor

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/11 10:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Bob--I also have the Goodyear tires and had them on my last two diesel coaches with good luck. I am running 80* all around and may try dropping the front to 75*. I did not see the FDS shocks available on Koni website for the newer Ford chassis. Do you remember the number on the shocks you purchased? I am in Arizona for the winter and will be looking at replacing the shocks when we get back to Denver in May. I purchased my coach in March last year and have about the same millage on it. I am thinking I will try the shocks first and then take a look at the Mor/Ride. I bet if you put Koni shocks on the rear with the Mor/Ride it would help even more. Thanks again for your feed back. Happy Travels. John

Goldencrazy

madison wi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/11 03:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Front # 8805-1018 and rear # 8805-1019. They are 172.00 each. I had them shipped from Henderson in Grand Pass. John was very helpful. I can provide his info just pm me if you need it. I think I will do the rear as well. The folks at Mor/ryde said they had not tested for impact of shocks on motorhomes but on some fifth wheels some shocks would inhibit the function of the system so logic says the moho would be similar. In for a dime in for a dollar.

bellsharbor

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/11 08:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for those numbers and the offer of further information. I may take you up on it when we get back home--I appreciate it. Good luck with your future efforts to get these trucks to ride more civilized! Like you said, "in for a dime-in for a dollar"! Happy Travels--John

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Koni FSD shocks installed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS