RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Barrett Jackson Auction Scottsdale AZ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Barrett Jackson Auction Scottsdale AZ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/11 06:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

supercub wrote:

Has anyone gone to this auction? I'm not a car guy, but I've watched it on TV the last few nights, and looks like it might be interesting to go and see next year. Is it open to the public? Is there anything else beside the auction there? Any recommendations on RV parks to stay at in the area. Thanks
Brian

If you want an RV park it is best to make a reservation long in advance. You can drive your RV to the auction on the day that you want to attend. They do have parking for any size RV. The better vehicles are auctioned off on Friday and Saturday.
Occasionally they do auction off RV's, like the Class A that used to belong to Evil Kenevil a few years ago.
I have gone several times and some of the vehicles definitely look better in their catalog and on TV than they do in person. It is true what they say about any car can be made to look good in a photograph.
It is a great place to visit and you need to plan on a lot of walking if you want to see everything.
As mentioned, there are other auctions going on in the area, but it get's a little expensive if you plan on bidding at each one. You also need to make arrangements to bid in advance, unless you show up with a pocket full of cash.
Traffic in and around Scottsdale is a little hectic, but the police do a pretty good job of making sure you get to where you want to go on the auction site. Enjoy!

PackerBacker

Montreal (Qc) Adirondacks (NY) Myrtle Beach (SC)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/11 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

turninghawk wrote:

PackerBacker wrote:

I love the auction. I always look for '69 Road Runner sedan; would love to have one like I bought new in '69. Seems like I would have to sell our motorhome to buy something half decent.

If I had the money, it would be for a '67 split-window corvette.

'63 was the split-window
'67 was the last year of the original Stingray body style

Correct, I don't know why I wrote '67 since I know it the split window was only in '63; must be old age.

mrblanche

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/11 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To put it in perspective, this car went for $17,600 this week.

Our T club thinks it's a pretty good $10,000 car. Nothing special. Nothing "one of a kind," contrary to the owner's spiel.

So, now you know the inflation factor to figure in.

The '63 Split Window is, I understand, the most valuable year of Corvette and worth more than the typical house in our area.

I've always wanted a '58 Corvette. When I was first interested, you could get one for less than $10,000. Now I'd have to mortgage my wife and my house to get one.

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/11 08:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrblanche wrote:

I've always wanted a '58 Corvette. When I was first interested, you could get one for less than $10,000. Now I'd have to mortgage my wife and my house to get one.

Among several Classic Cars, I sold a '56 Corvette that I restored. During the time I owned it, I had several people that wanted that car. They all remembered it as kids and wanted to finally realize their dream. The problem was that most of them had, shall we say "grown" since their youth. Besides being worth a fortune, the older Corvettes are very cramped and even with the seat back all of the way, the steering wheel is close to your stomach. I sold it by auction and never did find out if the guy actually fit into the car. With the hardtop on, it was very difficult for anyone over 5'9" to get into the vehicle unless you knew the trick.

flhtse05

Pace, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/11 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first Vette was a 62 with the 340 /327 Borg warner T=10 4 speed. They were going at this years auction for about 50 to 60 grand. I enjoy watching but the commercials are a real pain. If I win the powerball I'll br sitting right up there with Rick Hendrick and Ron Pratt bidding.

shenandoahvalley

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/11 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

mrblanche wrote:

Among several Classic Cars, I sold a '56 Corvette that I restored. During the time I owned it, I had several people that wanted that car. They all remembered it as kids and wanted to finally realize their dream. The problem was that most of them had, shall we say "grown" since their youth. Besides being worth a fortune, the older Corvettes are very cramped and even with the seat back all of the way, the steering wheel is close to your stomach. I sold it by auction and never did find out if the guy actually fit into the car. With the hardtop on, it was very difficult for anyone over 5'9" to get into the vehicle unless you knew the trick.

You are right...had a '66. Now have a '95 C4...better to sit in (still not much head room) but a b*t*h to get in and out of...particularly for a, shall we say, "large" person.

Rochester, Mn

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/11 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrblanche wrote:

The '63 Split Window is, I understand, the most valuable year of Corvette and worth more than the typical house in our area.

The most valuable are the L88 powered cars from 1967 of which there were only about 20 made. The next most valuable would be one of the 16 1967's with the L89 option (L71 with aluminum heads). Finally, there would be one of the 3754 L71 cars (427 cubic inch, 435 hp) of which only about 10,000 still exist!!!

However, lot's of documentation is required for the above cars for them to go over $100,000.

And I still fit in my '67.

Mark

2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U on a Ford chassis, 80,000 miles
2003 Ford Explorer toad with Ready Brake supplemental brakes,
Ready Brute tow bar, and Demco base plate.

Don Parrish

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/11 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I have attended the BJ on Wednesday for the last few years. We are Phoenix people. It's great to walk around and see all the cars and then see them on the block on Speed (or live stream). Lots to see and do. We spend four or five hours there to include eating (pricey) and enjoy every minute. Lots of nice people and all seem very willing to talk. There are coaches by Featherlite, Marathon, and HR and fancy haul trailers, open and enclosed. You can get space there for an RV but I think the prices are very high and unless you are buying or selling, I can not imagine being there for more than a day.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Barrett Jackson Auction Scottsdale AZ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS