|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing a vehicle with a MB V6 diesel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
RonR2440

Foxfield, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/11 05:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we started looking for an RV we wanted a Class C small enough to drive though towns and on secondary roads. We settled on a 25' Coachmen Freelander on a Freightliner chassis and Mercedes Benz V6 diesel engine. We so far have driven the vehicle everywhere when traveling except when we have been in an RV park in a large city for a few days and have rented a small car during those times. After our trip this summer to Alaska, I have been considering pulling a small car with the RV (3500# weight limit) or mounting a small motorscooter on the back. Has anyone pulled a car with the MB diesel engine and how does the RV perform while pulling (we live in Colorado and right now the RV really "scoots" up mountain passes without a problem) and what kind of gas mileage can be expected. The rear end is a 4.10 and I typically get 16 mpg going 60 mph. Any suggestions/help will be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

gdoug83

Central Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/11 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope you get some response on this one. We have a Roadtrek Adventurous (B) and I've been wondering the same thing about a toad or motorscooter on a rack. We, too, rent a car and use the RT as base when not just weekending it.

Doug
2010 RT RS Adventurous
Sprinter 3500

Popsie

Livingston, TX, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/11 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might consider going to a uhaul place and renting a trailer and a hitch, then load it up with enough stuff to get the weight similar to a toad. You could then drive it up and down some mountain passes and find out how your unit would perform with a toad.

That would give you real information about your rig (probably more accurate than someone else's subjective appraisal of their experience), and shouldn't cost very much.

gsander1

Birmingham, AL

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/11 07:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the MB V6 diesel engine. As with all Jeeps it makes a great towed vehicle. I think it is a bit too heavy for your purposes though. I know of no other vehicle that has the MB V6 diesel and is tow-able.

George in Birmingham, AL
03 Country Coach Magna

Wayne Dohnal

Bend, OR.

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/11 12:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tow a ~2,600 lb. Honda Fit. In the low gears I don't notice any difference in performance. In 4th or 5th, I know the car is there, but it's not a problem. Going up really steep grades it's 45 mph near the redline in 3rd gear, but other than that, it's just normal driving. I go down the steep grades in 3rd, or 2nd if there are tight curves.

2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/11 05:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go here, join the group and ask the same question. It's the same truck underneath and lots of folks are pulling toads with their "Skinnie Winnies". They are a helpful knowledgeable bunch.

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Dinghy Towing

> Towing a vehicle with a MB V6 diesel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Dinghy Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS