Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Flat tow a fox body mustang

Posted By: Bigshirley on 01/24/11 08:35pm

Anyone ever tow a fox body Ford Mustang 5 speed 5.0 mustang? I have 89 lx, Remco says no but I am not sure why? Thanks, BigShirley

Bigshirley
89 Driftwood A

Posted By: restorodder on 01/24/11 09:42pm

I don't know what a Fox body is,but if you value it as a collector car,don't flat tow it.

2008 Newmar Canyon Star - 2007 Dodge Dakota Toad - Ready Brute tow bar & brake system - one cat - Sassy 14

Posted By: MitchF150 on 01/24/11 10:34pm

I had an '86 GT with the 5 speed and I recall the manual saying that it could be towed with the rear wheels down for no more then 50 miles and no more than 35 mph... I think it was a T5 5 speed??

The only reason I remember this is because I thought you could flat tow 'any' manual transmission vehicle? I had to have it towed one time, and that's what I remember reading in the manual when the tow truck came.. It was only a short distance to the dealer where I had it towed to, so no big deal... But I still thought it was interesting that it had that kind of limitation in the manual...

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! Happy Camping!

Posted By: ticat900 on 01/24/11 10:59pm

MitchF150 wrote:

I had an '86 GT with the 5 speed and I recall the manual saying that it could be towed with the rear wheels down for no more then 50 miles and no more than 35 mph... I think it was a T5 5 speed??

The only reason I remember this is because I thought you could flat tow 'any' manual transmission vehicle? I had to have it towed one time, and that's what I remember reading in the manual when the tow truck came.. It was only a short distance to the dealer where I had it towed to, so no big deal... But I still thought it was interesting that it had that kind of limitation in the manual...

Mitch

you can flat tow the manual mustang as far u like Simply remove the drive shaft. Simple and easy to do

Posted By: I rv on 01/25/11 03:08pm

Problem is without gears turning in rear of trans the 4th gear syncro,which is 1 to 1 ratio will starve for lubrication and you will burn out the syncro,You can overfill the trans lube and generally takes care of problem but no guarantee.

Posted By: Bruce Brown on 01/25/11 06:08am

We went through this when looking to tow a Cadillac CTS. The way it was explained to us at the time was; a manual transmission traditionally has two primary shafts. If they use the lower shaft for the output it's towable, if they use the upper shaft it is not. The CTS used the upper shaft and was not considered towable. At the time they also mentioned the Mustang specfically as an example of another RWD car that used the upper shaft.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Posted By: wandering1 on 01/25/11 07:40am

Call Ford and ask if you really want to know.

HR

Posted By: FunTwoDrv on 01/25/11 11:54am

You might also check some of the Mustang sites for info. If it were me, I would just put a coupler on it and go.

Gary

Posted By: wny_pat on 01/25/11 12:21pm

wandering1 wrote:

Call Ford and ask if you really want to know.
You really think Ford will have a answer concerning towing a 1989 Mustang? They have trouble figuring out the current models!

Besides, I think Bruce gave him the answer.

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Posted By: mccsix on 01/25/11 12:42pm

I would normally say call remco and ask them what f body models they do cover and specifically why not an '89....but.....I just called them yesterday to inquire about a kit for an '89 Trooper was told none. I asked why and the answer was "I wasn't even born then how would I know if its not in the book"
What a customer service world we live in!

Posted By: wny_pat on 01/25/11 01:53pm

mccsix wrote:

I would normally say call remco and ask them what f body models they do cover and specifically why not an '89....but.....I just called them yesterday to inquire about a kit for an '89 Trooper was told none. I asked why and the answer was "I wasn't even born then how would I know if its not in the book"
What a customer service world we live in!
Have you ever tried to buy a u-joint for a '59 Chevy Apache 31 4x4? It isn't in the book either, but they don't even know how to take them off the shelf and match them up with a orginal!

Posted By: BobGed on 01/24/11 11:21pm

The following is from Remco's site for 1979-93 Mustangs.

Both manual and automatic transmissions require a drive shaft coupling to tow four on the ground.

2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Posted By: Bigshirley on 01/29/11 09:33am

Thank you all very much, great information

Posted By: jcthorne on 01/26/11 10:38am

I can answer your question directly. The V8 cars from 89 used a Borg Warner T-5 transmission. Flat towing it without a drive shaft disconnect will destroy the trans internals due to lack of lubrication. Installing the driveshaft disconnect is not that big of a deal. We installed one on my wifes 2002 explorer so we could flat tow. No troubles with the disconnect for 9 yrs and 100,000 miles.

2008 Damon 3575 (38ft, forward kitchen)on Ford 22k chassis

Posted By: tatest on 01/25/11 11:49pm

Probably because it has the wrong transmission, doesn't lubricate itself well enough while being towed.

Over the past 20+ years Ford has used Warner, Mitsubishi, and Mazda 5-speed overdrives in Fox body cars (and Ranger, Bronco II, some F-150, et al). They consider only the Mazda M5OD to be flat towable (55 mph, 500 miles).

If the transmission used may be ambiguous, the Owner's Manual may cite the restrictions for the most fragile (while towing) transmission. Remco usually has the right information, model year and application. I know that some late Fox body Mustangs, four cylinder and V-6 had the Mazda transmission, but yours likely does not, as it is a wide-range box ill-suited to the V8's torque curve (e.g. first gear is a creeper, second is good for standing starts).

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B
2001 Ranger Edge

Print  |  Close