RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Dyno numbers...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dyno numbers...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Sponsored By:
LimogesMan

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/11 06:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure if this link from Edmund's was posted before but it's a two days old report.

Edmund's put the big three diesels on the dyno.

Duramax would not behave!

Read it here

2002 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4X4 FX4 Lariat, 5.4L Triton V8, Precision 4.10LS
2004 Keystone Springdale 249BH 26' Fifth wheel (5800# empty)
Husky 16K dual pivot glider. TomTom One 3rd edition.
18 mpg empty, 11 mpg towing.

ricatic

Home

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/11 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It was posted yesterday and quickly went down hill. Evidently it has been deleted. Likely the same fate awaits this one...

Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/11 06:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, that is too bad. Seemed like a good discussion, at least by the time I went to bed.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/11 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems to me that the problems they had with the automatic transmissions doing their own thing would be a vote of confidence for manual trannys.
Since the Ram trucks seem to be the ONLY ones available with a manual tranny, I know which one I would buy IF I were to buy a new truck (ain't gonna happen!).

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

ricatic

Home

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/11 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

It seems to me that the problems they had with the automatic transmissions doing their own thing would be a vote of confidence for manual trannys.
Since the Ram trucks seem to be the ONLY ones available with a manual tranny, I know which one I would buy IF I were to buy a new truck (ain't gonna happen!).

Huh.... Where did it say that they has trouble with ALL the automatic transmissions? Nowhere...but they did say the GM would not stay in the gear where they wanted to test the truck. The Ford was singled out particularly for the smooth operation and consistent performance on the dyno. The Dodge must have also did well because they were not mentioned as having issues staying in the selected gear.

Different gears were selected for each truck to attempt to get as close to a 1:1 ratio as possible. Internal transmission gear ratio differences made that impossible. They did get as close as possible.

You mention the inability to get a Ford or GM in a manual transmission. While this is true, it is irrelevant as to the dyno results. As to what you would buy, It has been reported that after 2012 you will only get an automatic in all 3 brands. The Big 2 may lose a sale or two to Dodge specifically over the manual transmission, but they will not lose any sleep over it. Ford's take rate on the manual was less than 1.5%. It is likely that GM's take rate was similar. Based on sales, the automatic trans should have been the standard equipment in these trucks for a long time.

I have no dog in the manual/auto transmission fight. I can drive both, have owned both and like them both. For my uses an automatic would always be my first choice. For the rabid manual owners, I have this question? If the true cost of designing and developing a new manual trans for these trucks was $2500 per truck, likely a low estimate, would you pay that much for the option?

Regards

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/11 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Allison tranny for instance, knows precisely when to change speeds for optimum efficiency and is so much smarter than the person driving the vehicle. That's why a manual is the last thing most owners would want or consider. Especially for trailer pulling or weight carrying RV'ers. Sure, there are some still living in their past life and lucky for them, someone is still offering the opportunity to dance on the clutch pedal and do their rowing. Even they are dwindling quickly as they become better educated. Sales numbers and the proven reliability of the modern auto tranny's vs manuals tells it all as to why 2 of the 3 main pickup manufacturers do NOT even offer a choice of a manual tranny anymore.

A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

summithmk

butt#$%$ egypt, NV

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/11 10:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shame on GM for releasing a junk transmission that won't behave on a chassis dyno, I want my bailout money back. Once again Ford dominates..

Kennedycamper

Algoa, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/11 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Dodge with a manual, and I were to buy a new one today it would be the Duramax. They are all nice, but the Duramax is just a little nicer.

travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/11 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ricatic, guess we were writing at the same time!

BTW, we're down here in central Florida presently on our way down to WPB area for our annual visit and to help my blind older brother and his wife get their home and things set for another year. Was nice yesterday but not very nice at all today as it's cold, breezy, and wet but thankfully are camped right next to another rv.net forum wonderful member and his wife!

GM-Jayco36REQS

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/11 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It problem with chassis Dyno data to the public is that if you don't understand tha variables, you can't understand the data. Yep.. the Allison didn't want to play by their rules. But I don't think the GM engineers designed it to run on a dyno.. but actually work in the real world. How many of you buy a truck to put it on a Dyno for bragging rights?

To compare vehicles performance based on Dyno data is pointless... let's compare in real world use.. acceleration, towing, braking, ride, mileage... both loaded and unloaded.. since that is how we actually our trucks.

HD Truck Shootout

Rumble in the Rockies

2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW/CC, 4x4, Duramax TD, Curt 20K, Trifecta Cover
2011 Jayco Pinnacle 36REQS, MOR/ryde pin

2003 SVT Cobra Convertible, 16 lbs boost, Magnaflow cat-back, K&N CAI, MGW Shifter, 18" Bullet Wheels, Toyo Proxies

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Dyno numbers...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS