|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Another comparison test

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
jbardram

Long Island, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/11 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hadnt seen this posted. For those that are interested...here is a comparison test of 1 ton diesels by Inside Line.

http://www.insideline.com/gmc/sierra-350........11-heavy-duty-truck-comparison-test.html

09 Chevy 2500hd 3.73 6.0 CC
05 Wildwood 27' TT

ricatic

Home

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/11 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw this earlier today. The GM has some power. It is the first time the 400/800 truck was run side by side with a GM at commonly traveled altitude. While the Ford did not get embarrassed, it did get beat. GM has the stronger performing engine and deserved to be the winner. I surrender...

Regards

Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

surveyorjp

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/11 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for sharing. We can put some of the debate to bed now. Next year, somebody else might win, but this is GM's year.

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan. Popup shopping

j.p.f.

ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/11 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

great, another pn contest!

45Ricochet

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/11 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That just proves it, the most expensive is the best [emoticon]
Nice write up. All the rags seem to agree. Maybe GM paid them all off...
They couldn't find a 2011 Ram???
Sure sounds like something must be in the works in the Cummins/Dodge barn.

2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Yahooligan

Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/11 08:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good test for sure. [emoticon] All things considered, the Ram didn't do too bad, only 28 seconds slower up the 11.5 mile hill.

GM - 59.48 MPH avg
Ford - 58.8 MPH avg
Ram - 56.55 MPH avg

Definitely no reason to be disappointed in any of them.

Hogan & Clan

jbardram

Long Island, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/11 08:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

surveyorjp wrote:

Thanks for sharing. We can put some of the debate to bed now. Next year, somebody else might win, but this is GM's year.

I agree, GM has been winning the objective testing for the most part. But there are good reasons to buy any of one these brands, and I don't think anyone would be unhappy with any of these trucks. We're just in an era of good products all around.

What impresses me most with the GM trucks is not just that they seem to outperform the others on power (albeit marginally and not really in a way that will matter in real world driving) but that they deliver significantly better mileage than dodge/ford in the tests i've seen.

That said, dodge/ford offer better interior room and thats something I find to be important and worth a couple mpg's..

I think the Alison is at least partly responsible for the superior GM powertrain performance in these tests too, although it has not really been given credit in the tests.

TrayB

Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/11 10:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chevy has a very nice motor and transmission. The interior is mediocre at best and the rest of the truck just does not seem as substantial. Slam the door of Ford, Chevy and Dodge. The new Dodge has the most solid feel followed by Ford and last to Chevy. You can tell why Chevy is lighter by almost 800lbs.

If Dodge ups the frame and transmission then they will have a winner. If chevy updates the interior and beefs up the truck they will have the same.

I'm not a brand fan of any. I have driven them all and so far the Ford seems to have the most going for it. Plenty of power, decent MPG and a nice interior along with very good tow ratings.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/11 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

The new Dodge has the most solid feel followed by Ford and last to Chevy. You can tell why Chevy is lighter by almost 800lbs.

You might check the weight of that Cummins because you will find about half the weight of your stated 800lbs right there. [emoticon]

BTW, a lot of the time heavy dose not mean better, it just means heavier. Go talk to some OTR truckers and see what they say about weight. [emoticon]

Remember when the Duramax came out and a lot of people on the Ford and Dodge forums said the heads would melt off? I do.

Look at the people in the Ford forums now and see what they say:

"Man those aluminum heads are cool; I'm glad Ford thought of doing that on their new engine!!!" [emoticon]

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

JPhelps

SE of Monkeys Eyebrow & Possum Trot

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/11 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

You might check the weight of that Cummins because you will find about half the weight of your stated 800lbs right there

Uhh,,,,, the Ram weighs 7640, the GM weighs 7500. The Ford is the heavy one. What say now about those aluminum heads?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Another comparison test
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS