RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What is the cheapest state to buy a used Travel Trailer in?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> What is the cheapest state to buy a used Travel Trailer in?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
kiwiaussie

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/11 02:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am coming from Australia and want to buy a near new Travel Trailer and tour the USA.What is the cheapest state to buy used Travel Trailers?

miltvill

Ft. Lauderdale FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/11 02:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Broward County Florida (Fort Lauderdale) has a 6% sales tax rate. But I would rent if it is for a short visit. You could rent a MH.

2008 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, 3.73 rear end, tow package, Prodigy Brake Controller, Equal-i-zer Hitch.
Trail Cruiser TC23QB

junmy3

Warner Robins GA

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/11 02:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think is a particular state as it is a motivated seller. A lot of people use craiglist, but I am not sure about buying sight unseen. Good luck.

Jim & Junnie
2005 Sunline Solaris T-2553

nny12972

NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/11 06:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think you'll find any significant difference by state....probably has more to do with what you want to buy, when you want to travel, and where you intend to travel...I'd be looking at craigslist and/or dealer websites in or near where you intend to start. Finding a cheap TT in one place and then getting on with your itinerary could easily end up more expensive with just the cost of fuel.
J

Wes Tausend

Bismarck, ND

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/11 05:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can say that I think North Dakota is a state with high used camper prices. Out of state workers are buying them up.

The economy here in ND, is booming because of better state government fiscal responsibility, and a huge boost from oil development in the Bakken Formation. Because this "outback" state has such a sparse natural population, this has created a severe temporary-housing shortage from incoming workers. Many oil workers were literally still living in a tent city after the first few snowfalls. Since then they have been frozen out with record below 0 degrees F temperatures, possibly ironically caused by climate change related to burning fossil fuels.

Because of the crashed economy of several years ago, many states still haven't recovered, which I think depresses all local prices a bit. But some well used campers are probably holding better percentage prices than new ones, because that is all folks can afford, and many aren't trading up. This phenomena wouldn't be true for folks still desperately looking to dump fairly new campers that they can't afford payments on.

For a while, expensive recreational items, like campers and Harley Davidson motorcycles, were often financed by people taking out equity loans on their house. But this source of "free loan cash" has largely dried up and backfired, as real estate worth plummeted, causing a repercussion in sales.

In view of all this, one might check unemployment statistics on a state-by-state basis. My guess is that the states with the greatest unemployment, harbor the best used prices.

Wes

Days spent camping are not subtracted from one's total.
- 2000 Excursion V-10 - 2000 F-250 CC 7.3L V-8
- 2004 Cougar Keystone M-294 RLS, 6140# tare
- Hensley Arrow - Champion 4000w/3500w gen
- Linda, Wes and Quincy the Standard Brown Poodle

RUFFSTUFF

Kingsland, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/11 04:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no answer to that question... Other than sales tax and registration fees vary from state to state. For the actual price? A case-by-case affair.

2010 Coleman CT250
2010 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.4L PSD

DraginRat

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/11 08:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may want to take a look in Arizona, and Texas. Those are favorite "snowbird" destinations, and especially in the Spring, there tends to be a glut of RVs on the market as people make the decision to quit the life style and sell their units.

In Texas, the RGV seems to have a good selection, and in Arizona, the Phoenix/Apache Junction areas are similar.

Again, I would hesitate to buy "sight unseen", but that is just me.

Good Luck and enjoy your experience.

Ken Gasbarri

bluwtr49

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/11 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have to think that any state without sales tax and low registration fees would be a good place to start. I've heard that South Dakota is a popular state as is Nevada.

Dick

2000 40" DP Beaver Patriot Thunder Cat C-12 425 HP, 1550 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Center Pin

Fort Langley, BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/11 10:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DraginRat wrote:

You may want to take a look in Arizona, and Texas. Those are favorite "snowbird" destinations, and especially in the Spring, there tends to be a glut of RVs on the market as people make the decision to quit the life style and sell their units.

In Texas, the RGV seems to have a good selection, and in Arizona, the Phoenix/Apache Junction areas are similar.

Again, I would hesitate to buy "sight unseen", but that is just me.

Good Luck and enjoy your experience.

Ken Gasbarri

These places are also drier than say Washington State, therefore less likely to have water damage.

Trailer: 07 Tango 299BHS w/ 225/70R15 LT Load Range D

TV: 2004.5 Dodge 610 CTD 3500 QC 48RE 2wd Laramie SRW, FP Gauge, FASS 95/95, Rhino Lining, Hensley Arrow, Air Bags & Compressor, Canopy, Custom Boat Rack.
Been running B100 home brew June 2008!

kiwiaussie

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/11 01:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very helpful and all great advice. I had thought that CA to Texas would get me out of the snow belt, so i will concentrate on that area.
We are 'doing' all of the lower 48, so may see some of you around.
Many thanks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> What is the cheapest state to buy a used Travel Trailer in?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS