|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Two Fluids for E450

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/11 10:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vehicle in Signature...

I've decided I want to change the rear axle lube and check the lube level (add if needed) in the transmission-mounte driveshaft parking brake.

"Axle" code on door sticker is "83" and owner's manual says "Dana 9.75-in M60-1U, 10.5-in M70-2U, M70-1HD" Motorcraft SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant XY80W-90-QL Ford Spec WSP-M2C197-A. This sounds like a non-synthetic. Then footnote "8-oz Additive Friction Modifier C8AZ-19B546-A Ford Spec EST-M2C118-A". This is noted for all the Dana axles whether standard or limited slip/traction-lock.

I'd like to go to a synthetic lube that meets both the lube and the additive specification. Has somebody identified a lube that meets this?

I don't know if it's a 9.75 or 10.5 axle, but it seems capacity's a little over 3-qt. If I need to crawl under to look for a tag or stamping, I can do that, just let me know.

Parking Brake - Apparently it's used only on E450, has its own fluid supply of a few ounces, and the fluid might be a Ford item. The owner's manual does not talk about the brake, its lubricant, or how to check/add it.

Does anybody have info on it?

God Bless, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/11 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Ford maintenance schedule for our 2003 E450 says to change the rear axle lube at 100,000 miles. I'm going to wait until I get there to do that.

The parking brake fluid is transmission fluid - pretty sure it is Mercon.

2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450

Dave n Holly

Lansing IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/11 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CloudDriver wrote:

The Ford maintenance schedule for our 2003 E450 says to change the rear axle lube at 100,000 miles. I'm going to wait until I get there to do that.

The parking brake fluid is transmission fluid - pretty sure it is Mercon.

2009 Coachman Freedom Express 31
2009 Ford E450 Super Duty Triton V-10

Quadra Bigfoot Auto Levelers

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/11 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The specified interval's fine.
The lube in This Axle looks sick.
So I'd like to know what kind to put in it. Soon.

Pokey2

Bel Marin Keys, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/11 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi j-d

You have been of so much help to so many others on these forums. Wish I could help you on your question, but I can’t.

I think I speak for a lot of us when I say “Thank you” for your many past contributions. Now, let’s let the experts continue to have at it for your question.

Good luck!

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/11 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, Chris! I've gotten SO much help on this and other forums that it's great to pay some of it ahead.
Somebody'll be along that's got enough miles to have done that fluid change.
I may be able to dig it out by reading bottles at the auto supply. Just sitting right now in a campground thinking of the next project(s) I have to get moving on. Trying to get a head start.

CloudDriver

New Jersey Shore

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/11 08:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check with the parts/service department at a Ford dealer to see what they use. If in doubt, call two dealers and see if you get the same answer.

fireflock

NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/11 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2003 E-450 manual had a phone number in it for Ford Motorhome Chassis tech info, or something like that. I called them once to ask for a recommendation about a substitute trans fluid (original spec discontinued). Mine is in storage, but maybe someone can dig up the number?

FWIW - the guy on the tech line said to call the local dealer. The tech line actually wasn't much help in my case.

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/11 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, guys! I'll continue to monitor this thread and try a little local shopping and see what I can generate. Hopefully I'll find something that says "meets Ford Specs X, Y and Z."
This is the only vehicle we own that's involved in synthetic lubes. Using full syn engine oil and amsol ATF. Both were installed by prev owners. They said the axle'd also been changed but I don't think their recollection was right. Well, one of our "vehicles" a boat with MerCruiser stern drive, uses MerC's synthetic outdrive lube... But since most seem to agree that syn holds up better than dino when life gets tough, I'd like to do the best I can for this hardworking rear axle.
Thanks again.

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/11 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I've found is the two Valvoline lube products, pure dino oil and their blend product, both meet the Ford spec for the lubricant. Even though they are listed as "also for limited slip" they don't meet the friction modifer supplement spec. There's a 7-oz tube of K&W Posi-Trac Trans-X that does. Other lubricant brands, such as Mobil-1 pure synthetic, Lucas, and Coastal dino, do not address any Ford specs.

That tells me I could go Valvoline Dino plus Trans-X and next service interval 100,000 miles. I don't know if going to the Blend would help any.

Does this info trigger any thoughts?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Two Fluids for E450
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS