|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> jacking up the rear end of a motorhome

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/11 06:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I need to pull the back wheels off of my P30 chassis motorhome to add the valve stem extensions. Can I place a 24,000 pound bottle jack under the axle to lift each side off of the ground to get the wheels off? I can't find any data on how to jack up a motorhome say, to change a flat tire.

Art D

Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/11 06:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I need to pull the back wheels off of my P30 chassis motorhome to add the valve stem extensions

I don't have to do that on my P30 chassis to remove/replace the valve extensions. I just did that several months ago when I had the tires replaced.

Geaux LSU

egh33

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/11 07:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

falconbrother wrote:

I need to pull the back wheels off of my P30 chassis motorhome to add the valve stem extensions. Can I place a 24,000 pound bottle jack under the axle to lift each side off of the ground to get the wheels off? I can't find any data on how to jack up a motorhome say, to change a flat tire.

When I had a P-30 chassis I placed a block under the jack on the side I wanted to raise, then placed some 2x6 blocks under the axle for safety, block all wheels that are on the ground and that did trick. I even carry some blocks in the MH I have now in case I need to change a tire.
I would not use a bottle jack unless I had some thing under the axle just in case that jack tipped over.

CaptainCanuck

wyoming ontario canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/11 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure the front wheels are well blocked as when a back wheel is off the floor the motorhome can roll off jack as parking brake is on driveshaft.The 12 ton jack will easily lift it

Captain Canuck
Co-Captain - Grace
2004 Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
1994 Suzuki Sidekick
Yamaha Scooter
Honda Moped

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/11 07:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I also installed tire extenders without jacking up my rear axle, or removing a tire. It can be done, but I would not recommend the valve extenders that attach to the tires, as they tend to slowly leak air, and probably caused two of my tires to be destroyed when one went flat, and the other rubbed against it, causing it to also be un-usable.

As for jacking up the rear of the RV, it is fairly easy, and will not require a 24,000 pound 12 ton rated jack. Each pump stroke of a 12 ton jack is only a fraction of an inch, and will take forever to actually raise the rear axle, if the tire is flat and on the ground.

I use a 6 ton jack (12,000 pound rating) and that is great, because one side of my motorhome is only 6,000 pounds max, the rear axle on mine is 11,000 pound rating, front 6,000 pounds. I put my jack under the spring shackel, where the steel thickness is strongest.

Do not remove either wheel without a jackstand supporting the RV weight. THe jack alone is not enough.

When I had a flat tire on the side of I5, I used my leveling jacks to level the RV, then used the bottle jack to lift the tire and kept it there while removing it and installing the spare.

Your parking brake does not work when either rear tire is in the air, so blocking the front tires is always a great idea.

If you do install the tire extensions (I don't rcommend it) be sure to use some soap bubbles to check for air leaks. And check the air pressure at least weekly if you are taking a trip soon, or every few weeks until you are fairly certain that you are not loosing air through the system. Then once a month or before each trip would be fine.

Fred.

RVUSA

Orlando, FL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/11 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, assuming you have leveling jacks...

Just raise the rear 7 or 8 inches, and then use a bottle jack to raise the axle on the side you are working.

The jacks are holding the rv weight, the axle is supporting the tires, axle itself and springs.

falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/11 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Right now I cant check my rear tire pressure at all. I have to let my RV service guy do it because I cant get to the valve stems. The major reason is the kickin chrome wheel covers. They look awesome so, they have to stay. I went to Camper world and bought the steel braided two wheel tire servicing extensions. Heck, if I can get to the valve stems I'll check them every day. I keep a small pancake air compressor on the RV and I hate driving around not knowing what my pressures are. I bought this fancy 47 dollar dual tire checker/servicer thing at Camping world but, it still only allows me to service the inside tires. The biggest thing is, I needed to know if I could jack the RV with a jack under the axle. I didnt want to put a jack under the rear axle housing and dent it.. That would suck.

falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/11 09:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OH, BTW, there was no jack with the motorhome when I bought it. There was a spare tire. I guess they figured you could use the force to lift the motorhome..

sssooo

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/11 10:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you can take the wheel covers off then it is easy to get to your valve stems,
tap on the chrome lugs 2 of them will sound solid they will be 180* apart those are the ones you remove cover comes rite off.

gss036

Bellingham ,WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/11 11:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the biggest challenge if you had to change a tire would be getting the lug nuts off. I don't think one person has enough muscle to do it with a normal bar. You need an air tool.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> jacking up the rear end of a motorhome
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS