|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New LED Bulb for my Reading Light Fixture

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
KendallP

Probably the office

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/11 02:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With all of my new LEDs, I was mortified when my wife turned on the 1139FF incandescent reading light above the couch!

Well... maybe "mortified" is a bit of a strong word. "Somewhat perturbed?" No. Still too strong. Well... let's just say I noticed it.

So I finally found the right replacement. $7.29 delivered. Not quite as warm as my other bulbs, but not "blue white" either. And the retailer was forthright with the color temp specs.

It was a perfect fit. Extended right to the edge of my fixture and puts out a comparable amount of light as the old incandescent at about 1/10 the power!

The old bulb was just simply WRONG for the application. It's a frosted, full bulb that was used in a FLOOD fixture! (see photo at the bottom of the post)

So now with all the LED photons firing forward...

Came from Taiwan and much faster than promised. I'm very happy with the seller.

Reading Lamp Bulbs on ebay

They also sell them in multiples.

Now the DW can do all the reading she wants with plenty of light! And I wish I could say that she actually cares.

IF... I had a quibble... it would be that, since it's an exposed bulb, you can see the individual LEDs. It might be nice if they were enclosed in a frost bulb or fixture. But that's more money. Really though, at worst it's a conversation starter.

[image]

[image]

And here is the bulb it replaced...

[image]

And my old-school, airliner swivel-type fixutre (not mine, just a facsimile.)

[image]...

OK. Got some photos of the reading light installed. You don't notice it unless you're looking right at it.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

And here it is in action. I took the pictures this afternoon. Of course the only time the sun decided to peek through the clouds today was right when I wanted to shoot. But I think it's clear the bulb is plenty bright for the application. Again... I feel it's very similar in brightness to the OEM incandescent bulb. These 2 photos were taken with the same aperture and shutter speeds. Evaluative white balance was also used for each. Also note that the light color is not blue-white...

[image]

[image]

Tags
1139 FF

* This post was last edited 02/24/11 09:16pm by KendallP *   View edit history

Cheers,
Kendall

1986 Winnebago Chieftain 22RC
Our Camper (Don't laugh...
Unlike our credit cards... she's paid for)

RVhiker

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/11 02:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems like buying LED replacement lights requires a lot of research. Is there some sort of standard crossover chart that says if you have incandescent bulb "xy73" you need an LED replacement "y73m" that insures the new LED bulb not only fits the fixture, but also gives a similar amount of light of similar color? Or are LED replacement bulbs still not standardized?

There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

KendallP

Probably the office

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/11 02:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

daamac wrote:

It seems like buying LED replacement lights requires a lot of research. Is there some sort of standard crossover chart that says if you have incandescent bulb "xy73" you need an LED replacement "y73m" that insures the new LED bulb not only fits the fixture, but also gives a similar amount of light of similar color? Or are LED replacement bulbs still not standardized?

Still requires some research.

Not too tough, though.

I've found the best deals on ebay, but if you go to ledtrailerlights.com, you should be able to get pretty far.

Most of us prefer the "warm white" bulbs. I have found the 18 SMD LED bulbs to be the closest to incandescent.

Just compare lumens to lumens. 1141s put out 250. The 18 bulbs are specified at 252. I have found the two to be very similar in light output.

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/11 04:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ours were very hot also! Replaced them with LEDs:

[image]

They do a great job and they don't get hot.

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben ~
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub
*** Also a 2004 Roadtrek 170 (See pic in Profile) ***
Trip Pics

dalenoel

S.E. Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/11 04:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll check out the dimensions when I can pull the bulb in the next couple of days. I have no problems changing it but just want to be sure it fits. Visually the old bulb looks like yours and so does the fixture. I just always want to be sure of the dimensions and have not found one yet.

Thanks

03 Monaco 36PBD DP - 06 Malibu Maxx Toad
08 Jayco Eagle 322FKS (SOLD)
Wife and myself, Lutheran Deacon, Oreo the Malshi, and maybe a grandkid or two
Tracking campgrounds with Ultimate Campground Log

frogkisser

TEXAS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/11 02:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where do you get the fixture for the bulb that is pictured?

KendallP

Probably the office

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/11 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

frogkisser wrote:

Where do you get the fixture for the bulb that is pictured?

Camping World, for one.

I'm sure you can find them at just about any, respectable RV retailer.

dalenoel

S.E. Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/11 03:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KendallP, in that fixture, I think it is the same two I have over the bed in my Jayco, did the bulbs and fixture get very, very hot?

I have been looking for replacements but right now the trailer is covered and will need to get back out and look at the specs. Really hate the heat. Only need a little light when reading and it is directable but not when the fixture is so hot you burn the fingers.

If this is right then you have solved a big problem for me. Thanks.

KendallP

Probably the office

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/11 04:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dalenoel wrote:

KendallP, in that fixture, I think it is the same two I have over the bed in my Jayco, did the bulbs and fixture get very, very hot?

I have been looking for replacements but right now the trailer is covered and will need to get back out and look at the specs. Really hate the heat. Only need a little light when reading and it is directable but not when the fixture is so hot you burn the fingers.

If this is right then you have solved a big problem for me. Thanks.

Less power with similar light output = less heat. All of my LEDs are only warm to the touch after being on for awhile. And they're all comparable in light output to incandescent. Most of he energy is being converted to light, rather than heat as in a burning, glowing filament in an incandescent bulb.

I doubt you will ever feel any radiation from these LED bulbs. The radiant heat output is similar to fluorescent and probably even lower. You should only sense a little heat if you actually touch the bulb after it's been on awhile... but still shouldn't be hot to the touch.

Order one and try it. For $7.29 it's hard to go wrong with the free shipping. Or order 2! I would be really surprised if your problem wasn't solved.

KendallP

Probably the office

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/11 04:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, mine look like pasusan's, only they are more flush with the end of the fixture and fill it up more with a larger diameter. Measurements are in the OP.

Mine are probably brighter and thus closer to OEM, but I like the way pasusan's look!

I'll try and post a photo when I can.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New LED Bulb for my Reading Light Fixture
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS