RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: My LEDs

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > My LEDs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 32  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/26/2000

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/15/11 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks! I've been shopping for leds. What does the XXSMD mean? I haven't taken enough time yet to figure that out. It's a whole bunch easier to learn about light properties than it is to figure out exactly what the led sites have to offer and how they compare to incandescants! I bought some cheapie 1141 leds on ebay yesterday cuz they were the lumens I wanted and I hope they aren't the blue/white. I also ordered an led retro kit for my 16w Thin Lite w/12" tubes and some paddle looking leds (so all the light projects outward) to replace 921s, from prudentrver.com. Craig

Sea'scape

Vancouver Island

Full Member

Joined: 10/28/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/15/11 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How have you installed the 36 LED board so that it stays up? I have used the double sided tape it came with, but find that it will let go from the heat of the LEDs.

I am going to try some other double sided tape I have, and hope that it will hold. My fixture has a steel backing with a recess in it. I tried to fill the recess with double sided tape, but will try to improve on the next go around.

eric1514

AZ ID

Senior Member

Joined: 09/10/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/15/11 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sea'scape wrote:

How have you installed the 36 LED board so that it stays up? I have used the double sided tape it came with, but find that it will let go from the heat of the LEDs.

I am going to try some other double sided tape I have, and hope that it will hold. My fixture has a steel backing with a recess in it. I tried to fill the recess with double sided tape, but will try to improve on the next go around.


I used the tape they came with but I was meticulous when I cleaned the fixture with alcohol to remove grease and dust. So far so good.

If and when the tape fails, I will use a hot glue gun. That's what I used in the fridge and it's holding. No heat there, but lots of cold. You could have someone hold the board with the LEDs and then run a bead of hot glue around the edge instead of trying to fill the back curve of the receptacle.

Good Luck,
Eric


2015 Travato 59g


BluegrassBill

Woodland, Wa. USA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/24/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/16/11 12:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take the tape off and use a dab of RV Silacone


Bill & Kathy Francis
95 Itasca Sunrise 29RQ,P32 454 Chevy, Banks,ECM chip.Safe-T-Plus, Bilsteins, Super Steer Bell Crank, Stewart Stage 1 Waterpump, Severe Duty Fan Clutch, OilGuard Bypass Filter, Coolant Filter. Rear Tracbar. 1-5/8" Front Swaybar.


tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/11/2004

View Profile






Posted: 08/16/11 05:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BluegrassBill wrote:

Take the tape off and use a dab of RV Silacone


I tried removing the tape but I was afraid I would damage the board, it sticks very good to the board. Instead I stuck a piece of paper to the tape and used a dab of Amazing Goop. Still there after several weeks, no sign of overheating.


Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory


KendallP

Probably the office

Senior Member

Joined: 09/11/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/16/11 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

C Schomer wrote:

Thanks! I've been shopping for leds. What does the XXSMD mean? I haven't taken enough time yet to figure that out. It's a whole bunch easier to learn about light properties than it is to figure out exactly what the led sites have to offer and how they compare to incandescants! I bought some cheapie 1141 leds on ebay yesterday cuz they were the lumens I wanted and I hope they aren't the blue/white. I also ordered an led retro kit for my 16w Thin Lite w/12" tubes and some paddle looking leds (so all the light projects outward) to replace 921s, from prudentrver.com. Craig

Surface Mount Diode. They're the little flat ones with the yellow circle on top vs. the ones with the little glass bulb. I think they put out more light per the given volume they take up. Therefore you can pack more light into a little bulb or panel... perfect for RV applications.

If they didn't say "warm white," then they are probably blue-white.


Cheers,
Kendall

1986 Winnebago Chieftain 22RC
Our Camper (Don't laugh...
Unlike our credit cards... she's paid for)


pkunk

Questa, NM

Senior Member

Joined: 12/28/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/16/11 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where "XX" would be the number of them. (24or36)


1999 Coachman Mirada 34 ft.V10-F53 chassis
12ft.LR slide-2 gp31 AGM 12V @220AH


ksg5000

Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 06/30/2008

View Profile



Posted: 08/16/11 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the update - this thread is great!


Kevin

Dave-Sparky

Sequim, Washington

Senior Member

Joined: 11/02/2009

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 09/29/11 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did a bunch of bench testing of the 36 SMD led panels when I got them for my trailer.

Info Here

I have now had them in all of my fixtures for about 8 months using the provided double stick tape and have had no failures out of 16 units installed. Some have been on for up to 4 hours, so they should have reached maximum heat by then.

All in all I am very pleased with this upgrade and the quality of the light I get.

Dave


Dave and Colleen
Colleen's Beach House
1991 Dutchman TT 24FK
2007 Chev Avalanche AWD


KendallP

Probably the office

Senior Member

Joined: 09/11/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/29/11 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave-Sparky wrote:

I did a bunch of bench testing of the 36 SMD led panels when I got them for my trailer.

Info Here

I have now had them in all of my fixtures for about 8 months using the provided double stick tape and have had no failures out of 16 units installed. Some have been on for up to 4 hours, so they should have reached maximum heat by then.

All in all I am very pleased with this upgrade and the quality of the light I get.

Dave

Sweet!

Nice report! Good to know. Think I'll add this to the OP.

And I might just have to pick up a few more now. Thanks!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 32  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > My LEDs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS