|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> My LEDs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 32  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
7.3 psdman

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/12 10:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess it is all in what we prefer. I replaced my originals with the cool whites and they put out so much better light that I'm thinking about shutting off the old yellow lights that I have in the other side of the double ceiling fixtures. I don't buy mine from the same company as you get yours from though.

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/12 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazing, 6 pages, and not one failed LED lite, not even the $5 ones !

Well here goes,......
A couple 3 yrs ago I bought 2 36 led lites for $5 each,....straight from China. They looked and worked great,....till the leds started blinking and going out,...one by one.
After a few weeks camping, the first lite was down to 3-4 leds, and I trashed it. The second one I installed about a year ago, and is still working about 2/3,.....only because I put it in a place where it will likely not be on when the generator is running,......but sometimes is.

They had no voltage regulation whatsoever, and just could not handle the 14.6 charging volts.

So, now, we finally have record of failed LED lites.

It wasn't like I wasn't warned about this, but had to give it a try.

Since then I bought all my leds at the RV show here in Quartzsite. I think they all have a lifetime warranty w/ OP receipt.

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KingDome/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/12 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RJsfishin wrote:

They had no voltage regulation whatsoever, and just could not handle the 14.6 charging volts.

So, now, we finally have record of failed LED lites.

Actually there is quite a history of failed LEDs, mostly the early adopters who bought "automotive" type LEDs, that don't need any on-board regulator, cause they only see 13.8, not the higher charging voltage RVers see

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

KendallP

Probably the office

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/12 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not only that, but how often is the converter running at 14.6V while the lights are on???

Most of us, I'd bet... tend to run our gennies more often during daylight hours.

RJ,

Thanks for the report.

But are we talking apples to apples here?

At the top of the OP, I mentioned some fairly extensive testing that these panels had passed. Last I looked, Dave-Sparky was at 8 months and counting (Post Here with link to test results.)

Were yours the same panels as the ones we're discussing here? If not, what, exactly were they?

* This post was edited 01/21/12 10:46am by KendallP *

Cheers,
Kendall

1986 Winnebago Chieftain 22RC
Our Camper (Don't laugh...
Unlike our credit cards... she's paid for)

Dave-Sparky

Sequim, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/12 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK KendallP Ill post an update, such as it is.

I have been running the above referenced 36 LED boards for over a year now (first batch for 14 months and the others for 12) No failures and no noticeable difference in brightness yet. Next time I am at the trailer I will install one of my unused spares in a dual fixture, and if there is a notable difference I will try to document it.

I have spent about 20 days camping since the change, about half off the grid, and the trailer has been lived in for the last two months by friends that are remodeling their house. I would place the total usage to date at about 900 to 1000 hours of on time for the most used lamps.

Dave

Dave and Colleen
Colleen's Beach House
1991 Dutchman TT 24FK
2007 Chev Avalanche AWD

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/12 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KendallP wrote:

RJ,

Thanks for the report.

But are we talking apples to apples here?

At the top of the OP, I mentioned some fairly extensive testing that these panels had passed. Last I looked, Dave-Sparky was at 8 months and counting (Post Here with link to test results.)

Were yours the same panels as the ones we're discussing here? If not, what, exactly were they?

Are you kidding,.....I wouldn't have the foggiest idea what those $5 china lites were. I still have one burning but plan to change it out soon and I bought 4 new ones today at the RV show.....lifetime warrany. They are a popular lite w/ a website and all. But I forgot to record the site to my wifi spot here.

KendallP

Probably the office

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/12 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RJsfishin wrote:

Are you kidding...

Nope.

Are they panels or bulbs?

Are they SMD or old school LEDs with the little glass bubble over each one?

KendallP

Probably the office

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/12 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave-Sparky,

Sounds good. Thanks!

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/12 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just found this thread and it is a good read. Our coach has six two tube florescent fixtures down the center of the ceiling. The tubes are 11 1/4" long and 9/16" diameter. They are Satco F8 T5/CW A10. Are their LED replacements for them?

Jim

2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/12 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jauguston wrote:

I just found this thread and it is a good read. Our coach has six two tube florescent fixtures down the center of the ceiling. The tubes are 11 1/4" long and 9/16" diameter. Are their LED replacements for them?

Jim
I think there are but I can't remember where I saw them.

2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 32  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> My LEDs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS