RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: New here, new to RVing.....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> New here, new to RVing.....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
hyattjlbb

Minot, ND

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/11 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just some help if meeting in ND. If you meet in Bismarck at I-94 Exit 161 there is not only a nice sized truck stop to get food, fuel, etc, but about 300 yds down that street is Capital RV. It is one of the bigger dealers in the state and they have plenty of parts and accesories in case you go to hook up and you are missing something or need assistance. If you plan on meeting on US Hwy 2, I can suggest Minot as it also has a Capital RV right on the Hwy west side of town.

2011 Jayco Eagle 365BHS
2009 Chevy Silverado CC SRW 3500HD, Max & Alli
Beautiful Wife of only 19 Years
Boy - 16yrs, thinks he's 20
Boy - 9yrs

talonhead

SE CT

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/11 10:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Found a 6 pin connector tucked above the tt hitch, so the issue of trailer wiring has been answered. Just need the correct plug.
Found a slider base that is compatible with the Li'l Rock'r head.

talonhead

SE CT

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 11:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, just got a comformation on a date from my sister on trailer pick up. Meeting in MT end of April. Whoo-YA! Now If I can get my truck together AGAIN! Went to do front brakes and broke a frozen slider bolt and a flexline. Oh well, they are the original '99 parts. So will replace both caliper/bracket asy's and hoses. Had a New England 'Can't make up it's mind' storm last night rain,snow and ice. Supposed to be clear on Sun. Get the brakes done and then work in the hitch. Hopefully get it all done this weekend.
Mike

talonhead

SE CT

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/11 08:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, things have changed a little. Hopefully spring 2012 I will take delivery of the 5ver. I came upon a craigslist sale for a SuperGlide 16K (older model) that was used only twice (towed the rig home and back to trade it in on a MH at the end os season) then stored in the garage. It's in great shape. Just needs dusting and lubed. Even came with the Super Rails and pins. No brackets, when he sold the truck, there was 2 feet of snow on the ground. And he wasn't pulling them off. So I ordered a set from Tweety's. Three days later they were on my steps. Picked up the "T" connector for the trailer feed and a replacement plug for the bumper with a 7 pin recepticle. Found the brake controller under the dash- still need to get one. (Was looking at the P3 Prodigy).
Just talked to my Sis in AK. They've had 'bout 4 feet of snow this week. Had to use the small 'dozer to clear the driveway. She has all the manuals for the rig and the accessories that have been added. Not sure where we will meet up. They want to pick up another flatbed goose-neck, and they're cheaper down south.
I figure about 2 days driving time to just west of the Missippi, unless they go to TX/LA.
We'll see.
Mike

Here'n'There

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/11 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess the only thing of importance not yet mentioned is a BRAKE CONTROLLER. Other than that, pulling a 25' 5th Wheel is absolutely no sweat, newbie or oldbie. Get the controller installed and enjoy the trip!

Here'n'There
2009 Carri-Lite 36SBQ 5th Wheel
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab Long Bed Diesel Dually
On the road with Here'n'There
Role of the C133 in Viet Nam

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/11 12:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

P3 is a good choice for that trailer. Lets you set up for good control without breaking (or brake-ing) the bank.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs"

Pokey2

Bel Marin Keys, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thing I don’t see mentioned specifically here is age of the tires. According to the rule many RVers follow, the 5er should be on or due for its third set. Needless to say, this is an issue that should be dealt with before your sister leaves Alaska.

Good luck and have fun!

jasult

Central NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 03:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did not see it mentioned here, so I will. I strongly suggest to jack up each wheel and spin them and check for wheel bearing noises and play. I would not want to pull a trailer very far the first time unless I checked and also inspect the tires real good for bad spots and inflate to proper psi. As long as brakes,lights, tires and bearings are good it will run good down road and any thing else that needs fixing can be done when you get to your place.

Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

Christis Dream

Whitsett, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 02:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the RV Lifestyle Mike! We are pretty new to all this but I can offer one piece of advice we learned the hard way. NEVER sit with your dump valves open - even when hooked up to sewer - keep valves closed and dump when 3/4 full or so - black first then grey. Failure to follow this WILL result in an extremely undesirable condition AKA the "Black Hills"!

You'll do fine - have fun!

Christi & Ray

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> New here, new to RVing.....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: